Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

add a rule that players caught littering either on accident or on purpose will be penalized a stroke as a warning, 2nd time offenders will be tossed from the tournament. As a TD myself, it pisses me off when I walk a course and see water bottles and snack wrappers that came in the players pack littered on the course.

Comment

Originally posted by whslaxplayer11 View Post
      nah, all someone would need to do is present a well thought out plan to the army corps of engineers that this vandalism could be A LOT worse, and that the community is better off having this DG course and a way of keeping better care of it in the future. Then find 18 baskets to put in the sleeves, and the EDGC loses it and they are done for.

This is why is wont be pulled for more then a week or 2.....
      I personally know where 18 baskets are just sitting in a garage and it would be easy to access them. Many parks have been vandalized to a WAYYY further extent, but they are still open. So it would be a matter on convincing the army corps of engineers that the community needs this course and that we could do a better job of keeping care of it ect ect.....so basicially the EDGC cannot risk losing the course to another club after all the work they have put into it and everything.
      Well, that's an interesting perspective to say the least. I'll see you and your club at the work parties.

Comment

nah, all someone would need to do is present a well thought out plan to the army corps of engineers that this vandalism could be A LOT worse, and that the community is better off having this DG course and a way of keeping better care of it in the future. Then find 18 baskets to put in the sleeves, and the EDGC loses it and they are done for.

I personally know where 18 baskets are just sitting in a garage and it would be easy to access them. Many parks have been vandalized to a WAYYY further extent, but they are still open. So it would be a matter on convincing the army corps of engineers that the community needs this course and that we could do a better job of keeping care of it ect ect.....so basicially the EDGC cannot risk losing the course to another club after all the work they have put into it and everything.
        First of all, I have put up signs at 6:00 AM in the morning and both mornings they have disappeared but I'm working with the State Parks to rectify that. There will be signage that will remain. Just because people remove the signs does not mean it isn't going to happen.

Second, the club is working with State Parks and the Army Corp on this so there will be no threat on more baskets going in unless they are EDGC's. The community does need this course but the community also needs to realize that this a priviledge that cannot be taken for granted. This applies anywhere in the state. Milo had to have "Redneck chandeliers" removed out of the trees before the BSF. So yes, it goes on everywhere.

People will be angry----I'm angry----but it is either the club pulling them temporarily and repairing the course and putting up appropiate signage or the baskets getting pulled permanently.

I was hoping that this would not lead to so much dicussion on the forum but it has. We do have a club meeting tonight where this will be discussed briefly. Everyone is more than welcome to attend. Cafe Yum on Franklin Blvd. at 6:30.
        Last edited by Bullseye; June 3rd, 2009, 01:15 PM.
        PDGA President

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
          add a rule that players caught littering either on accident or on purpose will be penalized a stroke as a warning, 2nd time offenders will be tossed from the tournament. As a TD myself, it pisses me off when I walk a course and see water bottles and snack wrappers that came in the players pack littered on the course.
          No need to add a rule. It already exists.

E. Littering is a courtesy violation.
          G. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any
          affected player, even if from another group, or by an official, with
          all players of the group advised of the warning. The player shall be
          assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of
          any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may
          result in disqualification in accordance with section 804.05.

Now all we need is enforcement (and that falls on all players).

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
            As a TD myself, it pisses me off when I walk a course and see water bottles and snack wrappers that came in the players pack littered on the course.
            Agreed. I'd like to see it become a more universal practice at tournaments to have big water coolers that players can fill up their bottles with, rather than have bottled water or other drinks available. It's more environmentally responsible on all counts.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              No need to add a rule. It already exists.

E. Littering is a courtesy violation.
              G. A player violating a courtesy rule may be warned by any
              affected player, even if from another group, or by an official, with
              all players of the group advised of the warning. The player shall be
              assessed one penalty throw for each subsequent courtesy violation of
              any type in the same round. Repeated violations of courtesy rules may
              result in disqualification in accordance with section 804.05.

Now all we need is enforcement (and that falls on all players).
              I knew someone would post the proper script from the book... Now, enforce it! No one in my group has littered, yet... But they get hell from me if they do...

Comment

Wait... what? Did you just suggest that Milo pull the baskets?!
                Yes, I did (pull them for 3 weeks or so). I agree that pulling baskets will not stop the drunk yahoos from littering all over the park. However, it WILL encourage more DGers to say something to the litterers or report bad behavior when they see it. We are way past the point of a few cigarette butts ground into the dirt near teepads... we're talking about BAGS full of trash tossed into baskets and hung up in trees with fishing line.

Comment

I'm a little ignorant as to what happens south of PDX, so please humor me on this one. Also, I have no desire to get into any argument or stir anything at all, but I'm curious...

Is the above statement a threat to have the care of Dexter "taken" away from EDGC?

I just want to make sure I'm reading things right, etc.

Comment

I personally know where 18 baskets are just sitting in a garage
                    What a waste. Build a course. Your area needs one.

I sold my 9 baskets so a they could be used to install a course. They were not doing any good sitting in my storage.
                    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I was not able to attend the meeting. Does anyone have an update? Will there be league tomorrow? When is the first work party?

Comment

Lets not second guess EDGC

I applaud EDGC for taking a strong stand. We all benefit from their efforts to maintain and protect this outstanding Disc Golf jewel. Just this Memorial Day weekend my girlfriend and I camped near Dexter and played six rounds over our time down there. We felt so lucky to have such a well designed and well maintained course to play. Its truly outstanding. Oh ya-also, IT WAS ABSOLUTELY FREE!

Lets not forget that. Ball golfers pay a small fortune in greens fees to play their sport whereas Disc Golfers generally play for free. (Sometimes for a negligible 3 bucks or a yearly park pass.) Now I don't know about you but I am old enough to realize that nothing is truly free-somewhere, someone expended a tremendous amount of effort to realize every disc golf course that we are all fortunate to enjoy. I get concerned when I start to hear tones of entitlement expressed by my fellow Disc Golfers.

The truth is we are not entitled. Every course that we enjoy could disappear if we are not vigilant and active in defense of our sport. Unfortunately right now the greatest threat we have to defend against is that very sense of entitlement.

EDGC is demonstrating the responsiveness and responsibility that is emblematic of true leaders; taking affirmative action to protect what they have worked so hard to build. While I am as disappointed as any golfer I fully support this decision and am confidant that all who understand effort and sacrifice will concur.
                        Last edited by thadeouspage; June 3rd, 2009, 09:07 PM.

Comment

News from the EDGC Meeting:

The baskets will be pulled one week from tomorrow (Thursday 6/11). The decision to pull the baskets was made by the club officers in response to vandalism at the course including damage to a number of small trees. The removal of the baskets is temporary and is intended to preempt more serious action from the State Parks or the Army Corps who do not take this vandalism lightly. The club wants to send a message to the local disc golf community that the course at Dexter State Park is a privilege and not a right. The EDGC is going to use the time the baskets are pulled to improve the course and try to make this situation as positive as possible. Work parties to improve the course will take place Thursday 6/11, Monday 6/15, and Thursday 6/18 all starting at 4:00pm. Please come out and help if you are able, the better these work parties go the sooner the baskets will be put back and the course will be reopened.

Again, the decision to pull the course was made entirely by the club to show the community and the State Parks/Army Corps that we take our position as stewards of Dexter State Park seriously. The local state parks office has been flooded with calls about the possible closure of the course, these calls are only making the situation worse, so please spread the word that the parks department has nothing to do with this decision.

With some hard work Dexter will come out of this a better course, and hopefully the players in the area will have a better understanding of the damage that vandalism can do and everyone will watch out for the course and report any illegal activity. Thanks.
                          Nate
                          Innova Champion Discs
                          Discmania
                          huk lab
                          Keen Footwear
                          Grip EQ Disc Golf Bags
                          Stimpi Ridge Disc Golf in Spokane, WA
                          Play it Again Sports Corvallis and Eugene

Comment

League will go on as planned at Dexter tomorrow, Thursday June 4th.
                            Innova Champion Discs
                            Discmania
                            huk lab
                            Keen Footwear
                            Grip EQ Disc Golf Bags
                            Stimpi Ridge Disc Golf in Spokane, WA
                            Play it Again Sports Corvallis and Eugene

Comment

Originally posted by Nate Sexton View Post

The baskets will be pulled one week from tomorrow (Thursday 6/11). The decision to pull the baskets was made by the club officers in response to vandalism at the course including damage to a number of small trees. The removal of the baskets is temporary and is intended to preempt more serious action from the State Parks or the Army Corps who do not take this vandalism lightly. The club wants to send a message to the local disc golf community that the course at Dexter State Park is a privilege and not a right. The EDGC is going to use the time the baskets are pulled to improve the course and try to make this situation as positive as possible. Work parties to improve the course will take place Thursday 6/11, Monday 6/15, and Thursday 6/18 all starting at 4:00pm. Please come out and help if you are able, the better these work parties go the sooner the baskets will be put back and the course will be reopened.

Again, the decision to pull the course was made entirely by the club to show the community and the State Parks/Army Corps that we take our position as stewards of Dexter State Park seriously. The local state parks office has been flooded with calls about the possible closure of the course, these calls are only making the situation worse, so please spread the word that the parks department has nothing to do with this decision.

With some hard work Dexter will come out of this a better course, and hopefully the players in the area will have a better understanding of the damage that vandalism can do and everyone will watch out for the course and report any illegal activity. Thanks.
                              Nate

Well said Nate. Thank you for summing up the meeting for everyone who couldn't be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate Sexton View Post

Nate
                                Are the baskets back in the ground yet? I'm headed down that way Friday and I was hoping to play
                                Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
                                Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X