Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait... what? Did you just suggest that Milo pull the baskets?!

How about putting up signs at places like Milo (and Dabney - tree down on 14 or 15, I believe that did NOT look like an accident) that say something like:

"Excessive littering and/or intentional destruction of trees and shrubbery COULD lead to the removal of the disc golf course."

And make it a big sign right at tee 1. And the other tee 1.
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

...and the other tee 1.
      Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Wait... what? Did you just suggest that Milo pull the baskets?!

How about putting up signs at places like Milo (and Dabney - tree down on 14 or 15, I believe that did NOT look like an accident) that say something like:

"Excessive littering and/or intentional destruction of trees and shrubbery COULD lead to the removal of the disc golf course."

And make it a big sign right at tee 1. And the other tee 1.
        I'll be at the meeting, but I wanted to chime in and say that I agree with Sam.

There is a significant lack of signage at Dexter. Not only is the course confusing to new comers but it is also difficult and woodsy. The T signs are great, but even the long winded, tiny-text sign at hole one does little to convey the importance of course respect.

The only way to persuade people to respect the area is to convey that to them. Personally, I try to talk to almost every disc golfer I see and encourage them to pick up trash, respect the atmosphere of the sport, and to have fun. I have talked to a lot of folks that past few days, and everyone has the same wash of disappointment. Worse is the fact that even those who know a little bit about the possible closure have no idea as to why, when, how, or who is responsible. Instead of having a positive impact on peoples behavior, it is having the opposite, now that they are expecting it to be taken away with what to them amounts to as no cause or reason. If we are to hope that this closure will improve the Dexter experience for all, then we need to involve everyone in it.

In line with the signage suggestion..., chain a garbage can to every hole. I don't think that will stop people from littering, but it will make emptying my bag of trash a heck of a lot easier, and I can do it more often. The faster I can get rid of someones Coke can, old water bottle and snickers bar wrapper, the faster I can fill that space with another. Yesterday I saw a group of 6 older folks, all with one disc in their hand, and one of the older women was picking up trash and putting it in bags the guys were carrying between each throw. When I approached them I realized I had spoken to one of the guys the day before and after our talk he said he is starting to carry old grocery bags with him to pick up trash.

As a newer disc golfer myself, I know it takes time to get a feel for the game, the people and the rules. If it wasn't for a select few folks who were there to show me I still wouldn't know.

If only 1 out of 5 people I talked to that said they would show up for the meeting do...we will pack it in at the Yum...

When you go from one extreme (a great 18 hole course, free, and supported by donations and volunteers) to the other (complete removal of the pins) it only effects those of us that use it on a regular basis.

The yahoos and hooligans don't care if it gets pulled, they will find something else to make their presence known. I have seen things like this happen at a lot of venues. Worst of all it was memorial day weekend. The biggest yahoos and drunks are out that weekend trying to do something stupider than they did last year. If this is the reaction we can expect anytime someone stupid lives up to their potential, then I forecast a long series of disc golf droughts between sparse and scattered tournaments at Dexter.

With the busy summer season coming up this is the perfect time to get the word out to all the new disc golfers out there. I know I hear a lot of people who think that the family of 5 with one disc each doesn't belong there...but then who does and who is to say who does.

I'd love to see a one day, no payout, tourney there. Use ALL the money to put in signs, explaining disc golf, courtesy, and the rarity of the course in this area. I think every serious player in the area with a few bucks and a love for Dexter would show up.

I also think a good example of course maintenance can be seen at Pier park. It is a free park, and a lot of folks throw there. Over the winter they closed a few holes for repairs. When it re-opened it was great and still is. In the Portland area they could afford to close one of the dozen courses within 20 minutes of the city center. I think it is notable that they chose not to. This is the only 18 hole course within 20 minutes of Eugene, there must be a better alternative to full closure.

Like the man said..."peace though disc golf"....
        Last edited by David Errington; June 1st, 2009, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Errington View Post
          I know I hear a lot of people who think that the family of 5 with one disc each doesn't belong there...
          Who the hell would say that?!
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Personally, I don't think the temporary course closure at Dexter will stop idiots from littering or vandalizing trees, the baskets, tee signs, etc. BUT it will give us a chance to get some work done and it will serve notice that this may happen again and may happen permanently if idiots keep abusing the course. And while some casual (recreational, occasional, newer - whatever non-derogatory term you prefer) players may be surprised and disappointed, even angry, at least they will now be aware of the issues we are facing at Dexter and some of them will start to help out, police the course and their groups a little better and hopefully understand what it's going to take for us to keep the course.

Appropriate signage about the course closure has always been part of this plan from the first time I heard about it. Better directional signs were installed last year, and although some have been vandalized or gone missing, they do help. Could we use more? Yes. It would be great if someone would step up, buy the materials, make the signs and install them. Currently there is one garbage can for almost every two holes, which is a LOT better than it used to be. I pick up a dozen or so empties a round, so the cans haven't made the littering stop but it is a lot easier to dispose of the trash. And the littering has gotten somewhat better since the new cans went in. The new cans and signs and benches were the work of the EDGC and the same people who have made the decision to temporarily close the course.

A fundraiser tournament for Dexter sounds great - Will Larson just ran a fundraiser in April and we could always use another, so organize it and bring it on! None of the regular Dexter players want to lose the course but all I've heard from people is that it is a good idea to shut it down for a while, get some work done, and show the State parks and Army Corps that we are serious about protecting the natural features of the park.

Someone from Portland can correct me if I am wrong but Pier Park closed some holes due to issues specific to those holes, like turf maintenance or something. We do not have that issue at Dexter, we have a State Parks department leasing the land from the Army Corps of Engineers, and the Army Corps looking askance at the disc golf course, wondering about erosion, littering, tree vandalism, etc. etc. and wondering about the group in charge of the course. The Parks staff have a plan for the natural features of the park and within that plan is some work to make the disc golf course less likely to contribute to erosion, tree damage, etc. They are looking to us for help, leadership, and responsibility for the course. This is one small, temporary way for us to show that we will make sacrifices, we will take responsibility and we will do the work it takes to keep the course in place and free for everyone to use and enjoy. I hope to see everyone concerned at one of the numerous opportunities to help.

And that includes groups of five with one disc each. Groups of eight are strictly out though - new rule!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
              Who the hell would say that?!
              Who the hell would say a lot of things? If a group of people was defined by what someone heard a perceived member of that group say then we'd all be considered idiots. Well, we might all be idiots anyway....but I reject the notion that there is any more bias or irritation towards large groups of newer players at Dexter than anywhere else. The only time I ever "hear" people get really angry with these kinds of groups is when they blatantly litter or do not follow courtesy...which of course they are often not aware of. People pop off at the mouth in a mean-spirited way everywhere you go. Welcome to America, 2009.

Comment

I am very sorry to hear that you are pulling baskets. I heard about this at our club meeting last night. I just get so frustrated with people in these situations.

We would all love to catch people who have committed these crimes. I have a suggestion. Put a sign up list at hole 1. The instructions should read "If you plan on littering or destroying vegetation please sign below." Then leave a place for a name, address, and phone number.

Comment

...chain a garbage can to every hole.
                  Wow, just like that, huh? That's an investment and a steady job for someone. We've pulled our cans, as it seemed it was just another job for me, when I had plenty on my plate as it was. Granted, our course is out of the way and gets minimal use compared to this case. It seemed our few cans were always overflowing. When someone said, "they packed it in, let them pack it out," it made too much sense to me. I was planning on fancy trash stations with glass, aluminum, trash, and cigarette butt containers. Somehow I never got around to it. On top of it all was having to pay for the shit to get hauled off. No good deed goes unpunished and providing a great free private course should be enough to expect users leave it as clean as they found it. Bring a litter bag in your car.

I hope you get this issue sorted out and Eugene gets many more courses.
                  The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                  ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I just got back from Dexter and there were no signs up announcing the course closure. I think it would be good to get people thinking about what there gonna be missing. On another note, I shot a 52 my best round! I have been so close to finishing under, only to get bogeys on the last two. I hope the baskets return soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainBanger View Post
                      I just got back from Dexter and there were no signs up announcing the course closure. I think it would be good to get people thinking about what there gonna be missing. On another note, I shot a 52 my best round! I have been so close to finishing under, only to get bogeys on the last two. I hope the baskets return soon.
                      Club meeting tomorrow night, we'll know more then. Just because Jesse posted this here (and nothing wrong with that) doesn't make it an official announcement or the beginning of any action on a certain timetable. This is a very new development and nothing is set in stone. AFAIK and I am not in charge of any of this.

Comment

it wont last long though, the EDGC cant afford to lose this course

Comment

Originally posted by whslaxplayer11 View Post
                          it wont last long though, the EDGC cant afford to lose this course
                          I'd say that the community can't afford to lose this course, and that's what we're looking at if things don't change.

Comment

I wonder if the Disc Golf community could lead a specific anti-littering campaign? For instance, the several Oregon clubs electing a member of each to participate in a Anti-litter committee. It could be their task to come up with a focused effort to reduce litter in the parks where we are seeing a high volume of litter.
                            Something like "Every park needs a bum" Bums, while unsightly and sad, do collect cans and bottles like vaccuum cleaners. They don't do much for plastic wrappers and cigarette butts. Perhaps we could push for legislation that would put a recycle refund on plastic wrappers and cigarettes. LOL
                            I have noticed that at parks where there are "local" vagrants, those parks do seem to stay fairly litter free.
                            on a serious note though, having a campaign that could be funded by SOLV or one of the anti-litter organizations could reduce the trash issue.
                            Also, the Pack it in, Pack it out rule is likely the key.
                            Training to be a bagger

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                              I'd say that the community can't afford to lose this course, and that's what we're looking at if things don't change.

nah, all someone would need to do is present a well thought out plan to the army corps of engineers that this vandalism could be A LOT worse, and that the community is better off having this DG course and a way of keeping better care of it in the future. Then find 18 baskets to put in the sleeves, and the EDGC loses it and they are done for.

This is why is wont be pulled for more then a week or 2.....
                              I personally know where 18 baskets are just sitting in a garage and it would be easy to access them. Many parks have been vandalized to a WAYYY further extent, but they are still open. So it would be a matter on convincing the army corps of engineers that the community needs this course and that we could do a better job of keeping care of it ect ect.....so basicially the EDGC cannot risk losing the course to another club after all the work they have put into it and everything.

Comment

During the Beaver State Fling, Fri, Sat, and Sun mornings before the rest of us were even awake I had three volunteers that walked the course picking up litter. Each one brought back a partially filled garbage bag or probably a full garbage bag combined, each day. During an NT tournament! Milo has garbage cans for crying out loud! We HAVE to do a better job of taking care of our courses.

Bob

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X