X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best DG courses in Seattle area??

I'm curious to hear what other DG'ers have to say...
    I would like to know the top 3-4 courses within 30-40 miles of seatac airport and why?
    Might have a few of my friends fly in and want to hit a few courses but want to make the best of the trip there...
    Challenge and uniqueness are desired for first time players at the course.

SeaTac - closest, hardest
    Lakewood - close to SeaTac, most beautiful, longest?
    White River - not too far from the airport, a heavily wooded hike through some native Washington terrain.

Outside the distance of those three you could go North to North Park or Mountlake Terrace or South to Ft. Steilacoom.

Comment

Seatac! I wish it was closer so I could play it on a weekly basis!

Comment

Ok, I'll add to that, if you had to choose three courses to play over a 3 day period within an hour of SeaTac Airport, which 3 would you pick...

Comment

Originally posted by AchimbaProphet View Post
          SeaTac - closest, hardest
          Lakewood - close to SeaTac, most beautiful, longest?
          White River - not too far from the airport, a heavily wooded hike through some native Washington terrain.

Outside the distance of those three you could go North to North Park or Mountlake Terrace or South to Ft. Steilacoom.
          What he said, though Seatac is definitely longer than Lakewood. Also, it's a little bit of a drive, but not TOO bad, I'd highly recommend heading over to Bremerton to play NAD and/or the Kitsap Fairgrounds. Both play through nice PNW forests, NAD is more broken in and easier, the Fairgrounds are fairly new and TOUGH. Both great experiences though, and a pretty sweet ferry ride coming across the sound.
          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
            I'm curious to hear what other DG'ers have to say...
            I would like to know the top 3-4 courses within 30-40 miles of seatac airport and why?
            Might have a few of my friends fly in and want to hit a few courses but want to make the best of the trip there...
            Challenge and uniqueness are desired for first time players at the course.
            defenitly play lakewood. its an awesome course and the best looking one out here. ft. steilacoom is probably 30 min drive from the air port and has around 5 different courses that are all awesome to play
            A par is not a bogey.

Comment

Ok, I'll add to that, if you had to choose three courses to play over a 3 day period within an hour of SeaTac Airport, which 3 would you pick...
              Sea-Tac and the many faces of Stielly.
              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Is Stielly really that good? All I have heard is that it's flat, boring, long, and dosen't demand your accuracy over luck, on top of the confusing layouts that Washington state likes to do on some of it's courses?? I don't want to make the trip and find out what everyone has already confirmed... But I'll keep an open mind, hopefully another 5-10 people will post their opinions on this thread topic...

Comment

Is Stielly really that good? All I have heard is that it's flat, boring, long, and dosen't demand your accuracy over luck, on top of the confusing layouts that Washington state likes to do on some of it's courses?? I don't want to make the trip and find out what everyone has already confirmed... But I'll keep an open mind, hopefully another 5-10 people will post their opinions on this thread topic...
                  Hmm, I guess it all depends on the layout you play, but "flat, boring, and long" aren't how I'd describe it. It isn't mountain golf, but it's got elevation in play--part of the course is essentially a plateau, so there are flat parts, but also hills. Luck over accuracy? None of the holes I can think of are like that, though there are some open holes where having a big arm is more rewarding than a technical one. Confusing as hell? Yeah, I can agree to that. Definitely want to hook up with a local if you can. And if you have the opportunity, I'd recommend the pro 27 layout, it showcases all the best holes in my opinion, and has been the most fun of the ones I've played.
                  Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Some might enjoy Lake Fenwick in it's 21 holes, but don't go there after it rains..
                    Personally - I would recommend SeaTac and NAD. If you were traveling south from Sea-Tac Airport to points south such as Portland, then I would recommend that visit with Lucky Mud and if possible, check out Riverside in Summer (some folks really like that place), but do include Fort Steilacoom for it's pro course.
                    It's the challenge that can "catch you" but for a true Pacific Northwest - NAD!
                    Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
                    DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

if you want to play a really fun technical course you should come play dalawood in olalla. its not super long but defenitly technical.
                      A par is not a bogey.

Comment

Some courses are very close to each other.

The Lakewood course, just to confuse the shit out of you, is actually in White Center, not Lakewood, and is just 5 minutes away from the Seatac course. Both courses can easily be played in a day.
                        So thats day one.

Second day, you chose to go north or south.
                        If you go south, go to White River, which has two tee boxes for each hole, the regular tee, and the girls tee.
                        Very close by, the Riverside course in Sumner, is a great challenge.
                        You could play those two in one day.

Day three, head north. Play a warmup round of goofy golf on the citys most crowded little course, Mineral Springs in Northgate, "duck!", then drive the reasonably short distance to the Terrace Creek course in Mountlake Terrace for a nice 18 with lots of elevation changes.

If you get a day four, play the Twin Rivers course in Arlington.

Comment

Fenwick? 21 holes? No.

Most of the baskets crammed around the parking lot and a few lost in the woods? Maybe.

Well let's just say, before you play there, go to:

Seatac
                          Lakewood
                          Steilly
                          Dalaiwood
                          NAD
                          Fairgrounds
                          RiverSide
                          White River
                          Lake Stevens

(all from personal experience)

So unless you're REALLY ambitious, I don't see you playing Fenwick, unless you break down and become homeless in Kent.
                          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I'll echo Tim's comments about Steilly, those odd stereotypes are off base, with some 45+ unique holes, that go from 200' to 600', through a number of ground and forest styles and up and down hills, Steilly definitely isn't boring, or unfair. there are other legitimate complaints about the course. With either a guide or some maps and some patience (and use of the picture tee signs) anyone CAN figure out Steillly (doesn't mean they all will). I wouldn't put it by Seatac as far as must plays but it's definitely worth the stop.

You could check some of the maps in the Steilacoom thread here on the forum.
                            PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                            dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Originally posted by captain jack View Post
                              Some courses are very close to each other.

The Lakewood course, just to confuse the shit out of you, is actually in White Center, not Lakewood, and is just 5 minutes away from the Seatac course. Both courses can easily be played in a day.
                              So thats day one.

Second day, you chose to go north or south.
                              If you go south, go to White River, which has two tee boxes for each hole, the regular tee, and the girls tee.
                              Very close by, the Riverside course in Sumner, is a great challenge.
                              You could play those two in one day.

Day three, head north. Play a warmup round of goofy golf on the citys most crowded little course, Mineral Springs in Northgate, "duck!", then drive the reasonably short distance to the Terrace Creek course in Mountlake Terrace for a nice 18 with lots of elevation changes.

If you get a day four, play the Twin Rivers course in Arlington.
                              Follow this plan, and you can't go wrong.
                              The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X