X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenway REMOVED?

Email I received! PLEASE HELP! It's supposed to be for surrounding neighborhoods but we need some disc golfers there!

NOTICE OF NEIGHBORHOOD FORUM

GREENWAY PARK DISC GOLF COURSE

WEDNESDAY, MAY 27, 2009 (7 P.M. - 9 P.M.)
    Conestoga Recreation and Aquatic Center, Room 203 (9985 SW 125th Ave.)

The Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District has received feedback from
    neighbors and residents using Greenway Park, regarding disc golf and how it
    fits in with other park activities.

Since its opening in spring 2007, the disc golf course has generated many
    positive comments from local residents. But we've also heard from park
    users who are concerned about safety. They've pointed out conflicts between
    the disc golf course and the natural areas and walking paths. In addition,
    we have received a petition asking that the course be removed an action
    that was opposed by other local residents and park users.

Whatever your ideas or opinions may be, please join the staff of the
    Tualatin Hills Park & Recreation District for a neighborhood forum on this
    topic. It will be held Wednesday, May 27, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the Conestoga
    Recreation and Aquatic Center, Room 203.

The purpose of the forum is to bring the wide variety of Greenway Park users
    together to discuss these differences of opinion. Through an open exchange
    of ideas, we hope to find a solution that is agreeable to everyone. In the
    end, our primary goal is to maintain Greenway Park as an open, inviting,
    multipurpose community park that everyone can enjoy.

THPRD staff from a variety of departments will be in attendance to provide
    information, answer questions, and facilitate the forum.

Questions?
    Scott Brucker
    Superintendent of Sports THPRD
    503/629-6300
    sbrucker@thprd.org.
    www.thprd.org

Saw THAT coming from a mile away!
    Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
    Or does here stand the last remaining man
    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
    Ill not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

The question is, will people from outside the "neighborhood" be welcome at this forum? Has anyone ever had any dealings with this Scott Brucker?

Official THPRD page: http://www.thprd.org/events/event.cfm?id=282
      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

The good news here is the reference to the positive feedback for DG. Hopefully, the parks department felt they needed to do something to address the petition, and their only response will be this meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
          The question is, will people from outside the "neighborhood" be welcome at this forum?
          All park users should be able to come. If you consider the disc golf course as your home course or you even play it every once in a while, then you should definitely be able to voice your opinion.

Comment

I'll do my best to attend.

I'll also call and/or e-mail Mr. Brucker and voice my concerns.

Brody (and anyone else who regularly plays Greenway): I suggest printing many copies of that e-mail, keep them in your bag, and hand them out to every golfer you meet on the course.

A petition might work as well. Show the park management that there is just as much support, if not more, for keeping the course.

Comment

I e-mailed Brucker last night to find out more about the forum. If it's truly okay for anyone to show up, I'll be there. (It'd be hypocritical of me to get annoyed when no one shows up to the Clackamas County meetings, if I didn't show up in Washington County.)

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Brody (and anyone else who regularly plays Greenway): I suggest printing many copies of that e-mail, keep them in your bag, and hand them out to every golfer you meet on the course.
              There's an offical flyer that can be printed and handed out: http://www.thprd.org/pdfs/events/event282.pdf
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

How about starting an online petition? Or setting-up an email account where DGers could send comments?

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
                  How about starting an online petition? Or setting-up an email account where DGers could send comments?
                  Unfortunately, on-line petitions aren't worth the electrons used to display them. I guess it can't HURT, but direct e-mails would be better.
                  Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

I was planning on it but won't be able to start until I get back from Arizona (Monday)

Comment

Another email I just received from Kyle Kotchik. Kyle is in charge of the free tournament every year and I've been working side-by-side with him for a long time. He's on our side. The email also includes some other stuff not directly related to the public forum.

We will be holding a Public Forum on the Greenway Disc Golf Course Wednesday May 27th. The purpose of the forum is to receive feedback from the community related to the disc golf course and how it is integrating into existing uses at Greenway. The ultimate outcome would be a plan to have all uses co-exist in the Park.

Can you help get the word out? I want the forum to have fair representation. I know you love the course and it is a big part of your life. It would be a shame if the voice of the disc golfers was not heard and the a vocal minority gets there way and moves the course.

I did receive your message a couple weeks back about the hole 9 basket missing. Sounds like some vandals got a hold of it and tossed it in the creek. Before I could do anything about it our park maintenance re-installed the basket. Kind of waiting on the concrete pad tee box.

I play on getting the word out on the June 27 tournament soon. This year I'd like to have youth start around 10am followed by adults.

Please respond or call to let me know you received this email.

Thanks Brody,

Kyle Kotchik
                      THPRD Athletic Center
                      Ph. 503.629.6330
                      Fax 503.629.6335
                      kkotchik@thprd.com

Comment

Thanks for this heads up.

I work in the business park on the east side of Greenway and have played the course a couple times a week since they put it in. Since then I've introduced a bunch of other people who work in the area to the course and sport. Just last week a guy driving on Nimbus saw me jogging with discs and stopped to ask me where a course was - as he plays but was new to the area. I'll see if I can get some letters from people emailed if they can't attend the meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
                          Thanks for this heads up.

I work in the business park on the east side of Greenway and have played the course a couple times a week since they put it in. Since then I've introduced a bunch of other people who work in the area to the course and sport. Just last week a guy driving on Nimbus saw me jogging with discs and stopped to ask me where a course was - as he plays but was new to the area. I'll see if I can get some letters from people emailed if they can't attend the meeting.
                          Anything would help. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brody Cannon View Post
                            Anything would help. I appreciate it.
                            Brody, this is a meeting you should make sure your parents go to as well as all of your friends who play in the park. There is nothing more powerful then a group of parents whose youth uses a park for recreation instead of for mischief telling the local community to leave it alone.
                            PDGA #25296
                            Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                              Brody, this is a meeting you should make sure your parents go to as well as all of your friends who play in the park. There is nothing more powerful then a group of parents whose youth uses a park for recreation instead of for mischief telling the local community to leave it alone.
                              Yes of course. We are all planning on it.

Also, I found out that there are 9 households and 18 signatures on the petetion to get the course removed. I think it would be great if we had 18 disc golfers there just to show how much we want the course! And as Mike said, bring the whole family!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X