Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We need more disc golf on the west side, period -- long or short. We need it even more desperately on the near east side. But can you find any parcels of land that could be used?
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Sure... if this is the direction we want to take, I am sure we could find an acre here and an acre there and install more Rockwoods and Orchards.
      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

well if they do make hole 5 into 2 smaller holes i hope we could make a doubles tourny there every week too!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          Sure... if this is the direction we want to take, I am sure we could find an acre here and an acre there and install more Rockwoods and Orchards.
          Not what I meant. You feel a strong need for a long course on the west side... so I'm saying, go find the land.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

What about Horning's? Hagg? The coming Stubb Stewart? Westside has long. I think another Orchard stlye would be great. Not that I would play it, but it does promote the game and in Orchard's case the course is set up for quick play. I liked some of the Greenway holes, but felt it played longer than it really was due to a few long walk outs for short holes. Oh well, the important thing is having a course in, right?
            educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
              What about Horning's? Hagg? The coming Stubb Stewart? Westside has long.
              The FAR west side. It'd sure be nice to have something that's closer than North Plains or Forest Grove!
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                The FAR west side. It'd sure be nice to have something that's closer than North Plains or Forest Grove!
                Depends on where you are. I live near 170th and Baseline and can get to HH quicker than Greenway (in traffic).

Comment

Depends on where you are. I live near 170th and Baseline and can get to HH quicker than Greenway (in traffic).
                  I'm with ya Scott, 12 miles to Horning's, 15 to Pier. Far west side? that's McMinnville baby.
                  educate your thinking

Comment

That'd be all well and good if the population center of the metro area were in Beaverton... which it's not!
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

What about some of the power-line parks? Huge stretches of property, virtually unused, and long.
                      educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                        What about some of the power-line parks? Huge stretches of property, virtually unused, and long.
                        I've looked at a few, particularly one stretch by my house. To make it work, you'd have to have a few holes going in one direction and a few holes going back. Otherwise, you would end up a couple of miles from where you started and would have a huge hike back.

The problem is, most powerline parks are a tad too narrow. You'd have to squeeze the holes in along the sides and potentially run into trouble with the houses that line the park.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                          That'd be all well and good if the population center of the metro area were in Beaverton... which it's not!
                          It's all about Jman and me.

Comment

I've practiced in a couple of powerline parks, and I can safely say that they are too narrow!

Comment

Originally posted by KenGilmore View Post
                              I've practiced in a couple of powerline parks, and I can safely say that they are too narrow!
                              Yeah, I've really thought about the one by my house. The only way it would work would be to fill it with 200' holes and that kind of defeats the purpose of having all that land.

Comment

Originally posted by KenGilmore View Post
                                Yep...Ken...I too know some of the powerlines areas are a bit narrow

Paula Jean Park off Rock Road could house a course and support a couple of longer holes. The property is owned by Hillsboro Parks and Rec. Also, the old Orenco Golf Course has been removed...Hillsboro Parks and Rec has some consideration for recreation on that property, but so does home developers I believe...its been too long since I was directly communicating with HPD on the subject.

THPRD or HPD own almost all the park land/greenspaces on the westside.
                                The way to start getting a course installed is to go to the planning meetings and pleed your case...I know first hand. One issue is, while there are many who want a course, too few are willing to attend these meetings and put in the commitment to getting it done. Unfortunately, it tends to be the same people who are always the ones taking up the cause promoting the sport, Running events, Websites, maintenance, teaching classes etc.

THPRD also has a ton of land at PCC Rock Creek Campus...many baseball fields, soccer fields, tennis courts...why not disc golf?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X