X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    No it doesn't. Normal hole 8 was there for a long time after the stream had been re-routed. There was a ribbon on the left denoting a type of OB. Why was this moved? That was a very fun hole.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think that area is full of tree plantings now.
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Trees? On a golf course? Crazy...
      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Trees? On a golf course? Crazy...
        I think you know what he means. The plantings were new and not likely to survive high traffic.

There were also many instances of golfers going through and across the stream looking for discs.

Comment

don"t forget about the path issues and the flying missals

Comment

Yeah... hate those courses with trees and water hazards. Nice to hear that this course is being turned into Orchard South.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I was totally blown away by the meeting in numerous ways, the golfer turn out was amazing, it was made completely clear that only about 3 angry disgruntled, frankly bitter neighbors, want the course gone. The parks people clearly care a lot about that park and were very responsive of all comments. Towards the end they gave some of the explanations as to why hole 9 was created where it is, pretty much every other logical spot for it was ruled out for some reason, frankly, I think it's most likely that the 405' hole 4 will be split to make a couple of 250' holes. I hope all disc golf meetings can be as positive and relatively civil as this one was.
              PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
              dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Olmsted View Post
                frankly, I think it's most likely that the 405' hole 4 will be split to make a couple of 250' holes.
                That'd be a shame. I think there's room for one more up by Albertson's.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by George A. View Post
                  don"t forget about the path issues and the flying missals
                  And the launch pads.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                    That'd be a shame. I think there's room for one more up by Albertson's.
                    Really? I thought it was pretty narrow there.

Comment

Yeah... hate those courses with trees and water hazards. Nice to hear that this course is being turned into Orchard South.
                      The whole point is to recognize that there are things to consider other than disc golf (gasp!).

The park staff needs to find a balance that will allow dg, natural areas, walkers, and other park users to live in harmony.

I think, based on the space available, Greenway has the potential to be an excellent course for beginning to intermediate players. A place to introduce new people to the sport. Trying to make the course more than it is capable of may just be asking for trouble.

One park user last night (non-golfer) thinks that golf is a great idea, but that the park is trying to "cram ten pounds of activity into a five pound space". I agree. The question is, how can we make it fit that makes everyone happy. If it's determined that not everything can fit, what do you think will be the first to go? The natural areas? Probably not.

Comment

When the course was installed, it was pretty clear that there would be growth issues and issues with non-DGers. I think that it is great that they are doing what they can to accommodate everyone but I agree that they are trying to make everyone happy and I do not think that that is possible in most situations. The course has been in what... 2 years? And there have been more layout changes at this course than any other in the area over that time - by double, at least. I really think that they need to pick out area that they are giving over to the disc golf course and stick with it.

I think splitting 4 into two shorter holes would further Orchard-ify this course.
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I think splitting 4 into two shorter holes would further Orchard-ify this course.
                          Yes, it would. But I have a feeling that THPRD has no problem with Orchardification.
                          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Of course not. They are not approaching it from a golfer's perspective and probably rightly so. Just sorry to see some of the longer holes at Greenway removed or altered.
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Which would not necesarily be a bad thing (assuming you are talking about the 400' hole 5 and not the 200' hole 4).

Please don't use Orchard as a synonym for "bad course". It is not. It is what it is - a great use of a small space and a great place for beginning and intermediate players to learn the game. It's also a place for experienced players to work on putting and approach games as well as an excellent venue for league play (doubles).

Greenway can be all that and more. I just don't see how you can expect much more and keep everyone happy at the same time. Yeah, I know it's impossible to make everyone happy. But that doesn't mean we have to go about actively pissing them off.

Comment

In my opinion, it would be a bad thing. We already have a short course on the west side and are seriously lacking anything with any distance at all.

Um... and you do know that I helped build the baskets at Orchard and started the doubles there, right? I am not using Orchard as a synonym for bad course. I am using it as a synonym for short, easy course - something we don't need more of on the west side.
                                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X