X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brody Cannon View Post
    Also, I found out that there are 9 households and 18 signatures on the petetion to get the course removed.
    Hah! Some petition. I'm surprised they are even bothering to address it.

Comment

I'm actually most interested in hearing what the specific complaints are.

Comment

I got this e-mail yesterday (boldface emphasis mine):

If you have received this e-mail THPRD is in receipt of a communication from you regarding the Disc Golf Course in Greenway Park.

To assure that your input is heard the body of your e-mail will be included in a packet of communications. The packet will be handed out at forum although your e-mail, name and address will not be included.

THPRD has received a great deal of interest in the upcoming forum, many excellent suggestions and many opinions. Thank You for taking the time to write and take interest in our Parks and their activities.

Hoping all can attend and be heard,

Scott Brucker
        Superintendent of Sports
        (503) 645-6433
        (503) 629-6301 Fax
        sbrucker@thprd.com

So, E-MAILS COUNT. If you can't make the meeting on Wednesday but want to make your voice heard, send Scott Brucker a message.
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

bump - meeting tonight.

Comment

The meeting went better than expected. There was a large turn-out of disc golfers! Looks like there will definitely be some changes to the course and hopefully improvements. I'll go into further detail later when my mouth isn't stuffed with an ice cream sandwich...

Comment

I had to leave at about 8:15, right after the Park Patrol supervisor gave his little spiel. Did anything exciting happen after that?
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                I had to leave at about 8:15, right after the Park Patrol supervisor gave his little spiel. Did anything exciting happen after that?
                We ended up leaving at around 8:30. At that point, they were attempting to take only solutions to the earlier defined problems and most of the solutions had already been turned in earlier in the evening.

I was happy to see the large number of disc golfers that showed up - by my estimation about half the crowd of ~70 people but I was totally blown away by the number of non-golfers who spoke up saying they've never had any problems with golfers and think the course should stay. These were both homeowners and frequent walkers who said they found golfers to be among the most polite and respectful users of the park. One man said that, knowing he would be attending a meeting about saftey issues, went to the park last week and spent the evening deliberately walking in front of teepads and fairways. Want to guess what happened? Every single golfer politely waited for the couple to pass.

I don't think the course will go away, although it is clear that changes will be made. Hole 9 will be taken out for sure.

It seems that the best solution for us is education. The problem isn't the experienced golfers, it's the newer players. The responisbility falls on all of us to be stewards of the course; pay attenention to what we see out there and educate all players as to proper saftey and ettiquite.

And don't forget to be on your best behavior when on the course - we're being watched!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

I don't think the course will go away, although it is clear that changes will be made. Hole 9 will be taken out for sure.
                  For those of us who haven't played there; can you clue us in on what is wrong with hole 9?

Now I want to go play there before changes are made.

Comment

Originally posted by Vector_2008 View Post
                    For those of us who haven't played there; can you clue us in on what is wrong with hole 9?

Now I want to go play there before changes are made.
                    There are three main issues:

1) There is a basketball court to the left of the hole that can come into play.
                    2) There is a recently replanted natural area to the right of the hole that can come into play.
                    3) There are very long walkouts from hole 8 to 9 and from 9 back to 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Vector_2008 View Post
                      Look at the map: http://www.oregondiscgolf.com/course_maps/Greenway.jpg

Not only is Hole #9 way outside the normal flow of the course, but there's a basketball court 50' to the left of the flight path -- and a newly-replanted stream restoration area 20' to the right!

Last night after the meeting, I realized another reason that #9's placement is a bad idea: with the exception of the bottleneck near #6, there are two major north-south walking routes through the park. The western path almost completely avoids the disc golf course. If #9 were relocated to the east side of the park, that would preserve a mostly disc-golf-free zone along the western edge, for people who are afraid of those "lethal discs."

By the way, for those who weren't there: they handed out a packet with printouts of every e-mail they received. Only one of those e-mails was solidly against disc golf (that's where "lethal discs" came from); the rest were either from disc golfers or from neighbors who had little or no problem with the course.
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        The responsibility falls on all of us to be stewards of the course; pay attention to what we see out there and educate all players as to proper safety and etiquette.
                        ...and alcohol regulations.
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Who decided that that is where 9 should be?! Why aren't the areas where old 8 and old 9 being used? I know that they moved the stream but this solution seems like a really dumb one as far as flow goes.
                          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                            Why aren't the areas where old 8 and old 9 being used? I know that they moved the stream...
                            You answered your own question. The stream and its associated natural area fill up that entire space.
                            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

...and alcohol regulations.
                              Yes, but based on the Park Patrol Supervisor's report alcohol hasn't been as much of a concern as I had feared.

However, everyone should definately not drink at this park as the park patrol and frequent users are on the lookout for violations.

Comment

You answered your own question. The stream and its associated natural area fill up that entire space.
                                No it doesn't. Normal hole 8 was there for a long time after the stream had been re-routed. There was a ribbon on the left denoting a type of OB. Why was this moved? That was a very fun hole.
                                ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X