Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW - I've gotten rid of all the popups and bullpoop - the site is now at the permanent address:

www.seattlediscgolf.com
    'Weekend 4 Women':
    Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
    Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Im all in

Hey let me know what I can do to help. Ive got nothing but time on my hands and looking for something to do to help promote the sport here in Seattle and in general. Most courses have there locals who play there all the time. Maybe getting some of these locals together would be a good way to start getting the SDGC organized. Maybe hit up local courses on their doubles day and see who the locals are and get to talking to them. Get involved in their scence and see if they would be interested in getting involved in a larger scence.
      Originally posted by Tim View Post
      If you've read some of my other posts, you may have seen me lamenting the absence of a "true" Seattle disc golf club. It is of my opinion that the Seattle disc golf scene, while it could certainly be worse, it could stand to be a lot better. It seems to me that the scene has essentially been treading water for at least the last several years. I think that one of the main reasons for this is a lack of cohesion, i.e. an actual Seattle metro-sized club. If we were able to get people organized and rallied together, I think great things could happen for Seattle disc golf.

Things I envision for a successful and beneficial club:

- Elected officials and regular meetings. Autocracies are like, so yesterday, man. And there isn't much sense of having a club if there are never any meetings.

- Organization of work parties for improving the existing courses of the area. I touched on this in one of the SeaTac threads, its great that work parties are happening now anyway, but we'd need less of them and have more successful ones if more people got involved.

- Working to install new courses in the area This is something that I think the area could really use, and having an organized and established club goes a long way in terms of representing legitimacy in the eyes of government folks.

- League play Having regular small tournaments would only serve to bring more people together and grow the scene that much more. My personal opinion is that a handicapped league would be the way to go.

- More local tournaments These could be sanctioned or non, but we only have a few "biggish" tournaments a year here, when we could have plenty more. With the backing of a club, newer TDs may be more inclined to step up and run an event if they know they'll have support.

- Community outreach Hosting clinics and/or demonstrations to introduce more people to the sport. Superclass events sponsored by the club could also be a good intro.

- Regular communication I suppose this goes along with elected officials and meetings, but a monthly email informing members of what's happening in the area (events, work parties, city meetings, etc.), what the club finances are standing at, and any other pertinent info. I know there are a few email lists that go around already, but they contain different info and go to different recipients.

That's what's off the top of my head right now. My inclinations are that the club would encompass most of King and Snohomish counties. And I should also state that even though I have my own ideas of what I want to see happen, I'm not automatically trying to be president of such a club. If someone with more experience, competence, and/or motivation wanted to step up, by all means, I would encourage it. I can think of one or two people that I think would do a good job in the role, but I'm not going to volunteer them without their consent. I'd really like to see this club happen, and am willing to do what it takes to make it so, whether that means heading it up or just acting in a supporting role.

First though, of course, I'd want to make sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions people might have.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
      Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X