X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tradition

Us crazy Hagg people started a new tradition out there. we started a penny tree on hole 9's tee pad. you will see it when you go out there. If you wish to contribute, go ahead and do so. take a penny, carve your initials onto your first one, and everytime you go out there, add another one below it. we just melt tree sap onto it to stick it to the tree.

All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Not picking a fight....

I have never been to Hagg ... I'm sure it is a beautiful course!

As cool as this idea is, I wonder how it would be recieved by other groups IE environmental activists. This very group seems to be the biggest opponent to the new courses on the table at the moment like Harmony in Milwaukie. We as a group must do our best to be stewards of the land. We would be pissed if a group of hikers tallied their visits on our pads,signs,or baskets.

Just playing the DA right now

-Steve

Comment

Hagg is remote enough that not that many visit it. as far as our penny tree goes, I doubt environmentalists would have a problem with it. sure we are sticking copper pennies to a tree, but we are using natural tree sap to stick them to the tree. we are not using some kind of glue to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by sands.steven View Post
        I have never been to Hagg ... I'm sure it is a beautiful course!

As cool as this idea is, I wonder how it would be recieved by other groups IE environmental activists. This very group seems to be the biggest opponent to the new courses on the table at the moment like Harmony in Milwaukie. We as a group must do our best to be stewards of the land. We would be pissed if a group of hikers tallied their visits on our pads,signs,or baskets.

Just playing the DA right now

-Steve
        I agree this is a really bad idea. No different in my opinion than the redneck chandalars at Milo. I also wonder what the Parks people think about it. One of the things I like about disc golf in being able to enjoy the natural beauty the courses are set in this kind of stuff just detracts from that.

Cindy
        Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
        2013 Chick Flick co-TD
        Stumptown #176
        PDGA #37716

Comment

I can see both sides. On the one hand, it seems harmless, especially if you're just gluing them on with sap/pitch. On the other hand, it IS technically littering, and I think the bottle cap especially emphasizes that fact.
          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Remember the outdoor school motto?

Leave no trace.

Comment

I think that if this was Orchard or even Pier, some place with a lot of foot traffic, then this might be a bad plan, but I think out at Hagg it's not as big a deal, it's not obtrusive or hurting the trees, it's not going to block shots or be a garish detriment to the course. That's just my two cents.
              PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
              dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

the parks people out at Hagg are cool with us. The main people pretty much give us the go ahead to do what we want with the course as long as it is out of our pockets. Also normally they would be pissed to drive along the road and see a bag of trash there, but they know that we go out there often to pick up trash. we just drop our bags along the road and they come pick it up later.

Comment

Originally posted by Trozzle!!! View Post
                  Us crazy Hagg people started a new tradition out there. we started a penny tree on hole 9's tee pad. you will see it when you go out there. If you wish to contribute, go ahead and do so. take a penny, carve your initials onto your first one, and everytime you go out there, add another one below it. we just melt tree sap onto it to stick it to the tree.

You should make a cool sign to stick them to. The tree is a bad idea.
                  Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
                  Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I have to vote against this. On a sign is one thing but sticking them to a tree I'm not so into.

Comment

Hey, you could cut down that tree and turn it into a sign first! Then everyone is happy!

Comment

While it is a cool idea Troy, just because this course is remote doesn't mean we should treat nature any differently there. Keep the litter off the course, even if it is a harmless penny. Make a sign or whatever, do something else creative to keep track of your tradition. If I found you doing this at Milo I would beat you senseless and then ask why. Much like if I caught the fishing ling and cans people.

Comment

Sticking pennies on trees is a bad idea. I appreciate your wanting a tradition but not at the expense of nature. Maybe a donation box where you drop in pennies each time out and when you collect enough spend it on a new tee sign.

Bob

Comment

Bad idea.

Comment

We've embedded a new penny with the year a course was installed in the cement on a tee or anchor sometimes.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X