X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
    Copper is very beneficial to many plants.
    How about zinc? Since 1982 pennies are made of zinc coated with a only thin layer of copper.

That being said, the question is when does littering become art? At Dexter people have been folding bottle caps around a barbed wire fence behind the tee of 7. When it was only a few caps it looked like litter. Now the colorful caps cover enough of the fence to make it look like a form of folk art.

Pennies on the tree, bottle caps on the fence, it seems like an essential human need to tell others that, like Kilroy, we were here.

Comment

Why is it that golfers are compelled to let others know that they played there and the number of times they played?

If we all left some sort of mark indicating the the number of times we played a specific course most of us would...well, hopefully you get the picture.

Again, what is the purpose of this 'tradition'?

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
        That tree collapsed under the weight of so many shoes. Bad example.
        LOL, that's a pretty good comeback. The only problem is that the tree had been dead for many, many years. They were even holding it up with some 4x4s to brace it up. I don't know if it died due to the shoes or whatnot, but saying that the tree "collapsed under the weight" is not exactly accurate.

Still a smooth comeback, for sure!

Comment

Huh...I didn't even see that tree.
          PDGA #37890
          Stumptown #157
          ODW TDG 10-11
          3C&D TDG 09-10

Comment

What if everyone tossed a rock into the Grand Canyon?

Tempests in teapots.
            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

One word comes to mind:

Eyesore.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

So many good arguments for the "No Having Fun Ordinance."

It looks like it would have been best if the red pennied sap stickers had never been spotted in the wild. They could quite possibly go extinct in our time.

Comment

How about "no having fun if it takes away from other people's enjoyment of the same space" as an ordinance? Doesn't seem that hard, really...
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Trozzle fricked up by posting this. He should have gone quietly on, for what all this has been worth. That something so innocuous could stir so much sh*t is amazing. Religious fervor all about.

Comment

Agreed. It was dumb to post it. Now it will be easier to clean up the mess that most see this as.

Oh... and you seem pretty zealous in wishing to grant the Hagg folks the right to deface a tree, Bob. What's that all about?
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
                        LOL, that's a pretty good comeback. The only problem is that the tree had been dead for many, many years. They were even holding it up with some 4x4s to brace it up. I don't know if it died due to the shoes or whatnot, but saying that the tree "collapsed under the weight" is not exactly accurate.

Still a smooth comeback, for sure!
                        True, the tree had other problems besides the shoes, but they certainly caused it to collapse prematurely...

The article I read (when it finally toppled) stressed the fact that the shoes didn't kill the tree, it was dead before the first pair of Jordans ever graced a branch.
                        The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                          Agreed. It was dumb to post it. Now it will be easier to clean up the mess that most see this as.

Oh... and you seem pretty zealous in wishing to grant the Hagg folks the right to deface a tree, Bob. What's that all about?
                          Go back and read all of my posts. Pennies stuck up with tree sap won't be there all that long, and the pennies will be but pennies again. Where is the concern for the vine maples near death or gone from disc strikes at Pier Park and other places. I see that the vine maples and cascaras here at Mud that are in the way have lost chunks of bark, and have I have to accept that as a trade-off to have the course. There are many more cascaras, and unlike the vine maples, are not shade tolerant anyway, and so, die off in the woods.

I believe the trade-offs involved in disc golf are good and worth it because they get people into the woods to do something besides cut them down for some rich asshole. We share this earth in common. Those pennies took nothing from me. Certainly they won't kill a tree like disc strikes surely can. It's just that some of us don't like it with a religious enthusiasm. I feel that way about cigarette butts and wish those who toss them on my course would tell me how many butts they saw here before they tossed their own. The pennies aren't garbage and the application is, in my opinion, a respectful one, where the butts are garbage of a most unclean kind.

I'm sad that I can't seem to bring anyone around to my viewpoint, which is one that's long thought out, and I believe well considered. I think I've made plenty of good points in an argument that I believe should not even be one. Such a small passing impact, when compared to this sport we love, which is far and away, superior to say, going into the woods with rifles to collect trophies and meat at such cost.

Our species leaves far too big a footprint on our planet, not from our being here, nor even our inventiveness. The problem is in our motivations and our incomplete knowledge. "Because I say so" is not sufficient for any respectable limitations, and all of us should always balk at that. We should try to fathom the issues to the roots and get us a solution that will allow us to stay here and enjoy what we have in understanding. Ignorance just don't serve.
                          Last edited by Ol' Bob; May 13th, 2009, 08:16 AM.

Comment

If we leave far too big of a footprint, why would we want to do something that adds to that footprint? Wouldn't it be best to NOT litter the course - even if it is with pennies? It has been voted on and the vast majority feel that this is littering. Can't you even begin to see that point of view?
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Trozzle!!! View Post
                              Us crazy Hagg people started a new tradition out there. we started a penny tree on hole 9's tee pad. you will see it when you go out there. If you wish to contribute, go ahead and do so. take a penny, carve your initials onto your first one, and everytime you go out there, add another one below it. we just melt tree sap onto it to stick it to the tree.
                              You crazy Hagg people. That's just crazy. I wish I were that crazy. You're crazy!

(I, too, like to melt stuff. Like that kid on Friends.)

(I also like to carve. Whittle, actually.)
                              Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                              Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                              Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                              Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                              Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Like I said, it's a religious point of view, based on belief. The same zealots will chop a tree and put up an art gallery. It takes one to know one, and I too am a hypocrite in good standing. We have to look both ways when crossing, even on a one-way street.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X