Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about the well known shoe tree that used to proudly stand at Morley Field in San Diego. I see no harm in a penny tree. There will never be enough pennies on the tree to cause any harm. Hanging chandeliers on the other hand could harm branches and new growth not to mention that if they fall off they are litter. If a penny falls off the tree it is not litter but currency that you or I could find and spend! How is that a bad thing?

Comment

Man... does everything have to be a debate around here?

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

that's what I was going to say, I'm sure the Hagg crew never thought anyone would debate this and is taken back by what has been said...

Comment

Stick the pennies on the side of trees where discs are likely to hit, sort of penny mail armor. God, what's the big deal? I'm a hardcore tree-hugger and it doesn't bother me. Copper is very beneficial to many plants. Does anyone think this is going to catch on to the point of deforestation?
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I think a sign or bulletin would be just as effective to mark your presence at the course. I don't think that permanently modifying a piece of the natural landscape just to show that your played there is a very respectable way to "mark your territory"!! One of the major draws to disc golf is that you get the privilege to play is such lush, perfectly natural conditions that you just can't find in other sports. Let's spend more time celebrating what we can't create and preserving it, while getting to enjoy one of our favorite pastimes!
            Though I understand your purpose, I think there is a much better way to achieve what you're trying to do.
            Last edited by RebaTela; May 10th, 2009, 09:56 PM. Reason: grammatical errors

Comment

Have you ever noticed what discs can do to tree bark? Some trees can take disc hits and some are totally disc intolerant, losing a piece of their bark for every hit (cascaras and vine maples, for example). But here's the thing, not every tree gets hit and hurt. Some do, though, and that's a trade off. Protection can be put up, but what would be approved? Is this a tempest in a teapot?

Comment

Originally posted by mine all mine View Post
                What about the well known shoe tree that used to proudly stand at Morley Field in San Diego. I see no harm...
                That tree collapsed under the weight of so many shoes. Bad example.
                The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Cool Idea Trozzle!

If you are familiar with the culture at Hagg then you know a sign would be cut down and used as kindling for a fire. -That is what happened to some benches. You think Milo has a redneck community, at Hagg people keep axes and machetes in their trucks. (You never know when you might need to start a fire or clear a path.)

Technically how is putting in a basket, a tee box, signage, and wearing a path "leaving nature as you found it".
                  "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

Another vote for leaving the course exactly how you found it.

I don't buy any of the justifications, either. "It's OK because the course is out of the way." No, it's not. Still vandalism.

"The parks dept is OK with whatever you we doing out there." Really? Who did you ask? Were they aware of this specific act? Did you speak with a naturalist or arborist, or did you speak to the person taking money at the front gate?

"It's not that bad." I agree, but it's no reason to do it. What may be no big deal to one person may be an eysore to the next. You might as well error on the side of caution and leave nature the way it was intended.

A little vandalism is still a lot worse than no vandalism at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet View Post
                      Technically how is putting in a basket, a tee box, signage, and wearing a path "leaving nature as you found it".
                      It's a controlled coexistence between man and nature. Littering is not.

Trozzle, I think that the pennies aren't necessarily a bad thing, but we all have different sliding scales of acceptability for that type of thing. The pennies are a beacon to other people who see it as a go-ahead for their own "leave my mark" project, which may or may not be acceptable to you. I can imagine a host of situations that seem innocent to the doer, but pisses everybody else off.

Leaving your initials on a penny stuck to the tree? It's on the same level as the guy who spraypaints his gang's name on the freeway signs. The only difference is in the severity.
                      The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by Jet View Post
                        Cool Idea Trozzle!

If you are familiar with the culture at Hagg then you know a sign would be cut down and used as kindling for a fire. -That is what happened to some benches. You think Milo has a redneck community, at Hagg people keep axes and machetes in their trucks. (You never know when you might need to start a fire or clear a path.)

Yeah, playing disc golf is not a 0% impact sport. Having said that, I try my best not to step on plants, break limbs, leave trash etc. Just because we have some impact doesn't give us cart blanche to have more impact.

Spray painting a tree wouldn't hurt it either but I would consider it vandalism and uncool.

Comment

Is a lost disc littering?
                          As to the penny, naw, not a lot of impact agreed, except that others might deem your tradition the go ahead to start their own, like signing baskets.
                          educate your thinking

Comment

My post in Is This Littering?:

Tee pads and baskets:littering?

Humanity itself: littering?

I maintain a course, and cigarette butts and candy wrappers are littering. I get to say, here. Give your brothers and sisters as much slack as you would yourself. No one I know walks without bending a blade of grass. I don't see the pennies, placed orderly on that tree, as an act of unconsciousness or disrespect. What it comes down to is personal taste, and the ability to inflict ours on others. At what great or petty precipice do we decide to regulate our contemporaries' art and expression, which is of course, at the sure cost of our own?

Comment

Originally posted by Trozzle!!! View Post
                              Us crazy Hagg people started a new tradition out there. we started a penny tree on hole 9's tee pad. you will see it when you go out there. If you wish to contribute, go ahead and do so. take a penny, carve your initials onto your first one, and everytime you go out there, add another one below it. we just melt tree sap onto it to stick it to the tree.

Just looking at this again. The quality of this act sets it apart from littering and vandalism. Firstly, the pennies have the property of value. However trivial one might think of it, at least we can all afford one. Secondly, the display is unobtrusive. Thirdly, tree sap is the glue, and how could that be injurious?

All in all, I see this as respectful expression with little to call up disparagement beyond a religious sort of intolerance, based on fear of what could be. We should be willing to use our intelligence to control what needs controlling and accept this use of the commons as something less than the thefts that go on every day and are unabated under the powers that be.

Comment

This is a good point, how might we interpret what is tasteful art and what is harmful littering, is it really fair to judge all marks on the course as in the same vain. How about the dream catcher on Pier hole 15, it's certainly not a natural part of the landscape, it could easily be called littering by some of the definitions posted here, yet most people enjoy it because it is a) cool looking (or artful to use another word) and b) unobtrusive. And I don't think anyone would say it might inspire or encourage other tree hanging exploits like the beer chandeliers. I think that scale and intent matter in judging something like this, that's why a comparison to spray painting initials on a tree is completely unfair.
                                Last edited by Joshua Olmsted; May 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM.
                                PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                                dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X