X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focusing???

How do you focus your mind during a round of disc golf?? I find that the only thing standing in my way of course domination is my own HEAD! Not being able to keep my head in the game is my major fault. As soon as I have a couple terrible kicks I can't seem to re-focus myself to my "happy place".
    The bottom line is I have fun when playing good, and am MISERABLE when I play bad. common knowledge to anybody who knows me.

So I am hoping for some help in this department, here are my questions.

1. Do you have a method for staying focused and keeping a positive attitude through multiple bad shots?

2. What do you tell yourself to "move on" from bad play and finish strong

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
    Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Not sure I can really help here other than to say look "forward" not "back". Have a lousy hole? Start thinking of how you are going to play the next one. But like I say, I'm not the best for answering your question. I have difficulty even getting into game mode. It seems every round, even in competition is like a casual round.

I've known you now for almost two years and yeppers, I've seen the good, the bad, and the UGLY. I've got to say though that I'm very proud of the way you carried yourself at GNO. The Darr-Pro was more for attitude than low score. Good on you!

Bob

Comment

One at a time!

I have been playing the head game a while. I agree that this can be your alli and enemy. I really try to take each shot on one at a time. When I am in a rut I try to make each shot as smart and as well thought out as I can. You have thirty seconds and use it .... Breathe Deep !!!!!! I focus on MY game ....sometimes I even close my eyes when others are releasing their throws to think about my game.... I dont need the stress, its not my throw...

In short,

Play YOUR game
      Breathe
      One shot at a time !

-Steve

Comment

I once heard a quote and I tend to think of it when I have a bad shot. "Once the disc leaves your hand, sit back and enjoy the show, because it is no longer in your control" Or something along those lines anyways. All of it is emotions Darr, the good and bad. One thing I've really focused on is not getting overly excited when I pull something out of my ass or make that log put that really shouldn't have gone in. In doing so, the bad side of my mental game improved. Just staying more....even keel as it were.

Comment

One shot at a time, dont look past the shot you at now, focus on the line, where you want to put it, adjust at each shot, learn your disc pattern, why it flew the way it did, adapt each shot to your technique, sometimes it's best to lay up and take the 3 than to risk a 35 foot biridie. If you scared of 20-30 footers, what are the chances of you making the 35? Be smart, take the holes you can get, and accept par's and bogey's instead of going all out... classic example. Today in the 3rd round of the Masters Cup AM weekend. I'm sitting 4 strokes behind the leader on my card. We start out very good. After 4 holes, he is -2 and I am -1. This is from guys who havent gotten any better than +13 between the two of us. He starts to get cocky cuz he slammed a couple 20-35 footers and was like I'm going for it every time. On hole 8, after another couple awesome upshots and save-par putts, he feeling high and mighty. He makes a good drive off the tee, is less than 60 feet from pin but out of bounds right behind basket, common sense says lay up and take the par, he goes for it, 20 feet past, miss the come pack par, gets a 4 instead of an easy 3. Next hole, great drive off tee, 40 feet from pin, cliff behind basket, goes for it, rolls down hill, throw back hits treee, another throw up, gets a 5 instead of an easy 3. Next hole makes a 35 foot save-par putt, back in motion, gets a tough 25 foot birdie on next hole. Then the next one throws an okok drive, 2nd shot gets reckless instead of throw it straight and try for par than to park the upshot. Ends up with a 4. Goes from -2 to 1 up in 5 holes with 4 score changes, that could have been avoided three times. Then next hole is under 200 feet, the refrigarator hole, parks the drive about 40 feet away on bottom of hill, goes for it, goes over to other side, now throw back lay up for 4 instead of a easy par 3. Next hole his drive on the famous I-5 is just a bit past the opening to the hole and about 40 feet out in the feild, a 4 would be easy at this point, upshot forced into the trees, 3rd shot forced again another 60 feet up, 4th shot too hard past the basket from 60 feet out and now 25 feet away, miss the putt and get a 6! The decision making got worse after that and at least 4-5 more opportunites to get a par on tough holes become 4's and 5's because it's go for it go for it instead of being smart and taking the par's and bogey's if they are tough holes, work on control and strategy and the scores go down... He went from -2 after 7 holes to +18 for 28 holes.... I was -1, was +6 with 3 holes left to go and made only one mental mistake costing me a 5, the other two were just good drives, bad lie behind trees, took the 4's and got a +10, a 12 stroke improvement from Friday, its knowing the course, making placement shots so that you are able to connect good shot after good shot instead of gogogogogo..... ok i better stop before I write a book...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
            ..... ok i better stop before I write a book...
            You already did!

Comment

There is only one shot - the one you are about to make. The shots that happened before are gone and nothing short of an eraser is going to change that. The shots that haven't happened yet don't really matter because you can't get to them until you have dealt with the shot you are about to take. So... it is the ONLY shot that matters. And once it is gone, it is gone.

Do not let past misfortune create present or future misfortune.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                There is only one shot - the one you are about to make. The shots that happened before are gone and nothing short of an eraser is going to change that. The shots that haven't happened yet don't really matter because you can't get to them until you have dealt with the shot you are about to take. So... it is the ONLY shot that matters. And once it is gone, it is gone.

Do not let past misfortune create present or future misfortune.
                ?Legend of Bagger Vance?
                "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Is it?! I just whipped that out as I say something very similar to myself on a near-daily basis. I have seen that movie, though, and enjoyed it so it is possible that I stole some of it from there.
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

for some reason that scene in the trees after he has the flashback it just popped into head.

i wont say it is complete but bits and pieces im pretty sure came from that.

Comment

This?

"Put your eyes on Bobby Jones... Look at his practice swing, almost like he's searchin for something... Then he finds it... Watch how he settle hisself right into th emiddle of it, feel that focus... He got a lot of shots he could choose from... Duffs and tops and skulls, there's only ONE shot that's in perfect harmony with the feild... One shot that's his, authentic shot, and that shot is gonna choose him... There's a perfect shot out there tryin' to find each and every one of us... All we got to do is get ourselves out of its way, to let it choose us... Can't see that flag as some dragon you got to slay... You got to look with soft eyes... See the place where the tides and the seasons and the turnin' of the Earth, all come together... where everything that is, becomes one... You got to seek that place with your soul Junuh... Seek it with your hands don't think about it... Feel it... Your hands is wiser than your head ever gonna be... Now I can't take you there Junuh... Just hopes I can help you find a way... Just you... that ball... that flag... and all you are..."
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Or maybe this?

"Inside each and every one of us is our one true, authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learning... something that's got to be remembered."
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

This?

"Put your eyes on Bobby Jones... Look at his practice swing, almost like he's searchin for something... Then he finds it... Watch how he settle hisself right into th emiddle of it, feel that focus... He got a lot of shots he could choose from... Duffs and tops and skulls, there's only ONE shot that's in perfect harmony with the feild... One shot that's his, authentic shot, and that shot is gonna choose him... There's a perfect shot out there tryin' to find each and every one of us... All we got to do is get ourselves out of its way, to let it choose us... Can't see that flag as some dragon you got to slay... You got to look with soft eyes... See the place where the tides and the seasons and the turnin' of the Earth, all come together... where everything that is, becomes one... You got to seek that place with your soul Junuh... Seek it with your hands don't think about it... Feel it... Your hands is wiser than your head ever gonna be... Now I can't take you there Junuh... Just hopes I can help you find a way... Just you... that ball... that flag... and all you are..."

nope not that 1 but that is a good 1 also.
                          Thats on the 1st tee of the 3rd round...........

Comment

Or maybe this?

"Inside each and every one of us is our one true, authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learning... something that's got to be remembered."
                            i wanna say this is on the 1st tee also.

in the woods he is telling him about how he has to let his PAST "all of his company was killed" go.......it is done and over, then he threads that shot thru about a 1 foot gap 50yards in front of him. it was during the last round
                            Last edited by NWDiscer; May 4th, 2009, 09:21 AM. Reason: added

Comment

Play more. If you play enough, you'll learn to 'move on' easier. The important thing about the shot you just made is what it can tell you about your next one. I mean, if you pulled too hard and slipped your grip, or yanked it, that's good to know. You'll back off that perfect amount and get the next one done better. If your footing could have been better, you'll plant solid on net one. If you're making the same mistakes repeatedly, because you're being a dummy, you'll get smarter. Some days are better than others. Enough days will teach you that.

I'm very round-score-conscious. A bad first few holes used to sink me. Now I find myself enjoying recoveries. I still have to work on killing a good round on the 18th.
                              The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                              ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X