X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best water holes in disc golf?

I am looking for PICTURES of the best water holes in disc golf. There is plans to re-configure the "parking lot end" of Yauger park, in Olympia, to hold more water.

I am working with the designers and engineers of the project to come up with the best layout possible. They are very open to suggestions, so I want to show them pictures of what water holes "should" look like. Just so they can "see" our vision.

When I think water, the first place that comes to mind is Trojan. (one of my all time favorites!) So if you guys have good pics to share, I'd love to see them. If there is other courses around that have good water features, I'd love to see them also!
    A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Dabney hole 2.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/galler...d=265&mode=gal

Click on the image for a larger view. Basket positions are at the top of the mound straigh off of the pad, behind the mound to the left and to the right and deep of the mound out of sight around the trees on the right. Great water hole.
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Hole #10 at Loriella in VA is a fun one too.

and from another angle:

There are some really good ones from Maple Hill (Marshall Street) too, unfortunately I don't see any really good pictures from a quick search.

One thing to keep in mind for designing a water hole is to make dry land reachable for most players...if not a direct route to the basket, at least a "play it safe" option for shorter arms.
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Holes 6 and 8 at Trojan.
        Current World Rank: 2857th
        Lowest Rated Round: 777
        Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
        Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
        Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
        Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
        Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
        Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

Originally posted by keys View Post
          Holes 6 and 8 at Trojan.
          A Gwillim pic from DG Course Review of Hole 8.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_i...7/e9c5e3d1.jpg
          Last edited by keys; April 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM. Reason: Why wont my pic post.
          Current World Rank: 2857th
          Lowest Rated Round: 777
          Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
          Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
          Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
          Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
          Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
          Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

Problem with Trojan in this case is that it will probably be hard to import an entire lake to Yauger Park. Not sure as I have never been there but I am just guessing...
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Yeah, #8 at Trojan is a quintessential water hole; the basket is actually on a peninsula. #6 and #12 are okay, but not the same.

Sadly, the Northwest is a bit lacking in water hazards.
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

We already have permanent water features on 2 of our holes, there is temp. water (depending on rainfall) on about 5 others. So, importing a lake wont be necessary, we already have two!

We are making sure to incorporate landing area's (around 200' from tee) in some of the bigger 375'+ shots. We are also looking for risk reward shots off the tee, you can drive the pin, but the closer to the pin the more narrow the fairway becomes!

The city is going to be digging down about five feet in some areas and removing dirt, so we are planning on moving that dirt around for elevated tee pads and elevated greens. We are hoping for some contour in the fairways.

I brought up the idea of a fountain, but I don't think they bit for that one!

Anymore pics would be great, I've got the few from Dabney and Trojan already.
                Last edited by olydiscgolf; April 20th, 2009, 05:37 PM.
                A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

look into fountain hills and vista del camino courses that are used for the memorial... Hole 1, 7, 9, and 16 are cool holes at fountain hills. Holes 1, 6, 14, 15, and 18 at vista del camino...

Comment

12 at Trojan is one to look at; water on the left, fairway on the right.
                    Last edited by JMan; April 20th, 2009, 08:24 PM. Reason: add pic
                    educate your thinking

Comment

any Trojan hole with water on it can be used as great water holes. Dabney hole 2 is probably my favorite though. Although a short hole and not much of a hazard, Hole 5 I believe? of the Hornings Hillside course, is a great water hole IMO.
                      All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trozzle!!! View Post
                        Although a short hole and not much of a hazard, Hole 5 I believe? of the Hornings Hillside course, is a great water hole IMO.
                        I disagree; I think a great water hole has to really have the water come into play, and that's just not the case with Horning's Hillside/Highlands #5.
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                          12 at Trojan is one to look at; water on the left, fairway on the right.
                          I like this hole, but with the placement way to the left behind the trees for a 750 footer...
                          Hole 14 at Auburn in Auburn, CA is a tough little skinny fairway with monster tree and water in your face.
                          Hole 9 at Lake Selmac is an easy one but still clever use of the land available.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                            I disagree; I think a great water hole has to really have the water come into play, and that's just not the case with Horning's Hillside/Highlands #5.
                            Tell that to the dozen or more golfers whose discs now sleep with the salamanders

Comment

I agree Bob. I remember the day you and Rick went out in the boat to go pick discs out of the pond in the snow and Ice. That hole is easy to make it over, but also easy to sink it in on an errant throw. There are much harder water holes around here, but that hole is not a gimme at all.
                              All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X