X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milo's Redneck Chandeliers - A Possible Solution

As many of you know we have a bit of a problem with some moron stringing bottles and cans together and tossing them up in the trees like some kind of redneck chandelier. We cut them down and haul them out, but by the next weekend there are more of them up there.

I would really like to put an end to it once and for all. Perhaps the solution might be a sign offering a $500 reward leading to the arrest and conviction of the scumbag who keeps doing it. Now, I can't afford to pay the whole $500 BUT I would be willing to $50 of my own money on the line and I was thinking we, as a community, could possibly pony up maybe $20 each.

The way I see it is if we do get some info and can bust the guy(s), then we're golden. Similarly, if the perpetrator sees the signs, get's nervous and just stops doing it we get the clean course AND we get to keep our money.

So... Are any of YOU willing to put up $20 to give this a try???

I would like to the rangers this weekend for permission to put up a few signs, but I need to know if people will get behind this idea.

If you are willing to help, please note your committed contribution amount to me here... or if you prefer to keep your anonymity send it to me via PM.

NO money will be collected unless we get some info.
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
    As many of you know we have a bit of a problem with some moron stringing bottles and cans together and tossing them up in the trees like some kind of redneck chandelier. We cut them down and haul them out, but by the next weekend there are more of them up there.

I would really like to put an end to it once and for all. Perhaps the solution might be a sign offering a $500 reward leading to the arrest and conviction of the scumbag who keeps doing it. Now, I can't afford to pay the whole $500 BUT I would be willing to $50 of my own money on the line and I was thinking we, as a community, could possibly pony up maybe $20 each.

The way I see it is if we do get some info and can bust the guy(s), then we're golden. Similarly, if the perpetrator sees the signs, get's nervous and just stops doing it we get the clean course AND we get to keep our money.

So... Are any of YOU willing to put up $20 to give this a try???

I would like to the rangers this weekend for permission to put up a few signs, but I need to know if people will get behind this idea.
    I'll pitch in Jeff!

Bob

Comment

I'd throw down $20 if there was a conviction.

Comment

If you're going to put up signs, they should address ALL littering, not just the "chandeliers."

By the way, what's the actual fine for littering? No one would have to put up money to have it assessed.

(Edit: I found it, it's "up to $1250," but not more specific than that.)
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Count the Gibsons in for $40.
          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
            If you're going to put up signs, they should address ALL littering, not just the "chandeliers."
            But the point of this sign is to address the chandeliers. I think it should be specific so the idiots doing this get the point.

By the way, what's the actual fine for littering? No one would have to put up money to have it assessed.

Again - not the point. The point is to encourage people to keep an eye out for these idiots and/or encourage the idiots to understand that we are watching out for them so they should just knock the nonsense off.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Yes, the sign will say something about not littering in our little slice of heaven called Milo, but the reward will be targeting ONE exceptionally irritating individual or group.
              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I'm in. There's a rumor out there that some dude uses a sidewinder as "litter enforcement"...maybe you could put that on the sign.

But seriously, I'm good for $20. I'll volunteer Hanley's $20 as well.
                Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

...a sidewinder as "litter enforcement"...
                  When will Innova or Discraft make the "Ninja Star?"
                  The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                  ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    Again - not the point. The point is to encourage people to keep an eye out for these idiots and/or encourage the idiots to understand that we are watching out for them so they should just knock the nonsense off.
                    But shouldn't people be keeping an eye out for ALL littering idiots? (If you ask me, people who smash bottles against the baskets are a far bigger problem than the chandelier manufacturers.) And if the idea is to get them convicted, well... the conviction might carry a hefty fine all on its own.
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Of course they should, Adam. That said, this is an attempt to target one individual or a group of individuals. If you don't like the idea, you don't have to participate. Those of us who are tired of the chandeliers are interested in trying this.
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

But shouldn't people be keeping an eye out for ALL littering idiots? (If you ask me, people who smash bottles against the baskets are a far bigger problem than the chandelier manufacturers.) And if the idea is to get them convicted, well... the conviction might carry a hefty fine all on its own.
                        I find it exceptionally hard to believe you are putting a negative twist in this thread. Whatever.

Comment

I find it exceptionally hard to believe you are putting a negative twist in this thread. Whatever.
                          I don't think he is. Adam is just expressing a different point of view.

I also have doubts.

What if there are multiple a-holes stringing chendeliers that were caught and convicted? Would you be able to raise $1000? $1500?

I'm also concerned about the ability to raise $500. To be honest, our community has been pretty reliable about speaking big on the forum but then disappearing when it is acutally time to help out.

Finally - I hate litter as much as anyone else - probably more. I think the beer cans in the trees are childish, but for some reason they don't raise as much ire with me as do the piles of cans around the baskets and teepads. I can't help but wonder if $500 could be put to more effective use elsewhere (tees, signs, benches - if not at Milo, many other courses could use 'em).

Before anyone hits reply - I'm NOT trying to be negative here. I understand the frustration and think that this is a noble cause. I'm just bringng up some discussion points.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            I don't think he is. Adam is just expressing a different point of view.

I also have doubts.

What if there are multiple a-holes stringing chendeliers that were caught and convicted? Would you be able to raise $1000? $1500?

I'm also concerned about the ability to raise $500. To be honest, our community has been pretty reliable about speaking big on the forum but then disappearing when it is acutally time to help out.

Finally - I hate litter as much as anyone else - probably more. I think the beer cans in the trees are childish, but for some reason they don't raise as much ire with me as do the piles of cans around the baskets and teepads. I can't help but wonder if $500 could be put to more effective use elsewhere (tees, signs, benches - if not at Milo, many other courses could use 'em).

Before anyone hits reply - I'm NOT trying to be negative here. I understand the frustration and think that this is a noble cause. I'm just bringng up some discussion points.

While we were digging ditches and building the frames for the new tee-pads last weekend. A few people also went around the course concreting in some tee-signs. A local boyscout will soon be using those tee-signs to build trash can frames. So we will have additional trash cans out on the course soon.

Comment

I can see a sign or two as a deterrent. People can choose where to donate/sponsor/spend their cash. Some choose to buy fundraisers, some donate to clubs who install benches/signs/pads via membership fees, others for efforts to deter littering maggots...it's all a matter of choice, really.

This one of the few good ideas that Jeff comes up with and I support his effort.
                              Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X