X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radios on the course

I just thought I might bitch for a second. I hate it when people on the course have speakers for there ipods turned up so everyone can here what they're listening to. When I go to play a round or two of Disc Golf I want to hear the birds chirp, the wind blow, and my disc sailing through the air. I listen to music on my way driving to the course, while shopping at the supermarket, and cleaning the house. Just to name a few. This is not an attack on anyone in particular, I'm just venting.

Originally posted by ChainBanger View Post
    I just thought I might bitch for a second. I hate it when people on the course have speakers for there ipods turned up so everyone can here what they're listening to. When I go to play a round or two of Disc Golf I want to hear the birds chirp, the wind blow, and my disc sailing through the air. I listen to music on my way driving to the course, while shopping at the supermarket, and cleaning the house. Just to name a few. This is not an attack on anyone in particular, I'm just venting.
    Huh,

In a tournament or random doubles type format I totally agree it should be left behind. On a normal day when we're playing for fun there will always be music in our group.

Comment

Obviously, there shouldn't be radios during a tournament. I'm talking about groups that make half the course listen to whatever music is on there ipod. Do you like music when your hiking, how about when your fishing? Disc Golf should be an escape. If it's your preference to listen to music when your playing thats fine, but have you heard of earphones. I love music, but there is a time and a place.

Comment

Obviously, there shouldn't be radios during a tournament. I'm talking about groups that make half the course listen to whatever music is on there ipod. Do you like music when your hiking, how about when your fishing? Disc Golf should be an escape. If it's your preference to listen to music when your playing thats fine, but have you heard of earphones. I love music, but there is a time and a place.
        I gotta agree here. If I want to hear music I'll bring an MP3 player. I hate having to listen to other people radios while playing. Don't get me wrong, I love music, but I think its selfish and insensitive to blast your tunes for the whole world to hear out on the course.
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
          I gotta agree here. If I want to hear music I'll bring an MP3 player. I hate having to listen to other people radios while playing. Don't get me wrong, I love music, but I think its selfish and insensitive to blast your tunes for the whole world to hear out on the course.
          Hey, I resemble that remark! I do try to keep it at a low enough volume as to not distarct other groups. I will also usually turn it all the way down when approaching said groups.
          Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
          Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

If it's your preference to listen to music when your playing thats fine, but have you heard of earphones.
            When playing alone I think this is a bad idea and a safety issue. How can you hear if someone is yelling at you because their driver is heading straight to your head?

I will admit to being part of the crowd that enjoys music being played during a round. I even just picked up a little case with speakers that I can clip on my bag. With it turned up all the way I doubt you can hear it from over 20 feet away though. I also don't see the problem listening during random dubs, as long as everyone in your group is ok with it, just like in drinking and smoking...

Comment

Originally posted by jevon View Post
              When playing alone I think this is a bad idea and a safety issue. How can you hear if someone is yelling at you because their driver is heading straight to your head?
              Ever heard of volume control? You don't have to have the music so loud that you can't hear anything else. Although I admit that I sometimes do.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Ever heard of volume control? You don't have to have the music so loud that you can't hear anything else. Although I admit that I sometimes do.
                I don't see it as a problem with volume control. I see it as having things stuck in your ears that impairs your hearing abilities, even if you don't have anything playing.

Comment

I will admit to being part of the crowd that enjoys music being played during a round. I even just picked up a little case with speakers that I can clip on my bag. With it turned up all the way I doubt you can hear it from over 20 feet away though. I also don't see the problem listening during random dubs, as long as everyone in your group is ok with it, just like in drinking and smoking...

Did you get the speakers like mine? If you did, yeah I doubt anyone 20 ft away could hear and if you turn the speaker side into your bag it muffles the sound even more. I try to be curtious so as not to offend others. Streisand has that effect on some.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                    Did you get the speakers like mine? If you did, yeah I doubt anyone 20 ft away could hear and if you turn the speaker side into your bag it muffles the sound even more. I try to be curtious so as not to offend others. Streisand has that effect on some.

Bob
                    Yep. $12.99 at Freddies. I'll see your Streisand and raise you some Yanni!

Comment

I'll see your Streisand and raise you some Yanni!
                      And the judge said "Justifiable homicide. You are free to go.".
                      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                        And the judge said "Justifiable homicide. You are free to go.".

"In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Most of the rigs I see dont have really big speakers, so the sound doesnt go very far.

Most players also understand that, just like in ball golf, you should be quiet on the tee, and when someone is putting.

I find most players adhere to these rules, as well as common courtesy, so I have no reason to complain.

I guess if someone had some floor standing JBL bins they were lugging around, dogging me on a short course, I might say something.

A little music is nothing as far as a distraction compared to a 747 on final approach 100' above your head, and I like it at Seatac.

Comment

I play an endless loop of the Irish Rovers doing The Unicorn Song and I win every round (everyone else DNFs).
                            The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                            ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I like listening to music during casual rounds too. I think I have the same speakers as Bob and they don't get super loud. Just turning them to face my bag or putting them in the bag totally muffles the noise. I played last week with a couple random people and they didn't even notice I had music for about 5 holes. On the other hand, living in Salem I have seen lots more people blasting music. The louder it is the worse the person's music taste seems to be. It might just be the Salem way. I run into WAY more ill-mannered play here than anywhere I have lived or played.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X