X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Destroyers...

Alright, I had a first run star destroyer for as long as I can remember, got it the week it came out, lost it at Fountain hills at the memorial and my life has not been the same... It was super awesome and didn't turn over too easily. Now I had to get Pro and star destroyers to make up for the ones I lost... HATED the champ destroyer cuz it just didnt glide at all...
    Anyways, i like the pro destoyer, but it seems that now i am about 25-35 throws in on the pro destroyer and it's flight characterstic has gone from new-very overstable to beaten-understable like a super fast valkryie??? Does pro plastic beat up this fast??? It was awesome from like throw 10-25 and now it goes super straight to turnover and is not having that predictable fade at the end on each throw... that common? Should i have to replace the pro destroyer every 30ish throws and start finding the right star destroyer to have a slower beat up phase?

I loves me some Pro Destroyers. I have noticed that they wear in more quickly than Star or Champ molds, but 30 throws seem very extreme......unless you are throwing into trees or onto very hard surfaces. I have a Pro Destroyer that seen well over 100 throws (and many tree hits) and is just starting to be too understable to have a purpose in my bag.

Comment

Ummm yeah, Rocklin, Auburn, Orangevale, trees trees trees.... And ofc the ground is rock solid... But my question is, after 10-15 throws, does it change it charactersitics noticebaly in this timeframe? Felt like i had to throw it differently by the time i got on hole 18 from when i threw it on hole 1... And does a 169 versus a 175g pro destroyer make a difference in beat up time frame?

Comment

pro plastic does not hold up well to trees. i have (had) pro destroyers and i like them because they are fast and stable. i make a point to only throw the pro destroyers i like, and want to keep the flight characteristics of, in open fairways, where it's near impossible to crush it into a tree.
        i bet if you had a brand new pro destroyer and unleashed it into a tree, it would not be the same on the next throw. the plastic is just too soft.
        May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

that brings another question, why are there some pro discs that you can see through like champion plastic and they feel like champion but say pro on it? Never understood this...
          I'm just glad i have 4 destroyers, 2 pro and 2 star to play around with and be able to throw based on their beat in stage...
          I propose that there be MA2 on fantasy picks!!! I pick myself for BSF!

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
            that brings another question, why are there some pro discs that you can see through like champion plastic and they feel like champion but say pro on it? Never understood this...
            I'm just glad i have 4 destroyers, 2 pro and 2 star to play around with and be able to throw based on their beat in stage...
            I propose that there be MA2 on fantasy picks!!! I pick myself for BSF!

Are you talking about an older "Pro" disc? If so, these were the first generation of the newer champion plastic. They existed between CE and Champion. Some said Pro and others said Pro Line, however they were the same plastic. I have a Pro Line Leopard, Pro Line Beast, JK Pro Valk, Pro Line Gremlin, and Pro Firebird in my bag. All of these are champion style plastic only slightly more durable.
            Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Comment

I just can't do the pro plastic for the reasons listed above. I hit trees. I have embraced this fact and have tried to incorporate it into my game (like... hit the tree behind the basket, dummy!). As such, DX and Pro plastic are out and Star discs get a limited life unless I am trying to get them to a flippier stage.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

My Champion Destroyer glides GREAT, but it took quite a while to get properly tuned. Pro plastic beats in really fast. I wore out a Pro Wraith in a day!

The consistency of plastic in Discraft over Innova is obvious, just from the look, feel, taste, smell, and sound of the plastic. Also, Innova uses terms like "Pro" so loosely, you can't even tell what they mean by it. I have seen "Pro" discs that are transparent, translucent, opaque, hard, soft, rubbery, Champion-like, CE-like, DX-like, etc. The word "Pro" is almost meaningless as Innova applies it to their plastics.
                Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Wow. I throw 150g DX Destroyers. You must KILL those poor trees...
                  Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                  Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                  Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                  Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                  Or does here stand the last remaining man
                  To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                  No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                  Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                  Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                    Wow. I throw 150g DX Destroyers. You must KILL those poor trees...
                    150 D's have the maximum giggle factor allowable by law. End of the day , your arm is tired, you launch that thing from an elevated tee, with a following wind, you feel like a pro. Your like "Ya, thats right, I'm the man."

I have four others.
                    First run Star, white, that I dyed. This was my D "trainer". Always came back when I used to throw it, now, after 2 years, it flips and rolls.

Candy Fundraiser from last year, too domey, always flips and rolls.

Newer twins, both Star, pink and light blue, pink flies best, predictable 'S' flight pattern, long glide, graceful finish, pinky lives in the bag.

I think they all beat in and become less stable over time. I'm sure this is the master plan from the factory, to keep you constantly updating.
                    Gotta get me one of them 'Night Shifts' to try next.

Comment

As a general rule, the wider the rim on the disc, the higher durability you need. A DX Teebird will last a long time and beat in slowly and predictably, while a DX Destroyer will be a roller in one round on hard ground or with tree hits.

Pro is more durable than DX, but it also beats in squirrely. Even the Pro Teebird beats in squirrely, and thats a disc that beats in wonderfully in all other plastics.

Pro is a double-edged sword. When it is in its prime, it is often the best gliding and longest plastic, but it gets unpredictably flippy once you pass that stage.

My recommendation is to get your distance drivers in premium plastic unless you are only using it on wide open holes, where Pro could get you some extra D without the risk of breaking in too quickly.
                      We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

The only Destroyer I own and am able to throw is my Chick Flick CFR Destoyer, Its got a nice stable "S" flight" for my forehand. I normally choose my Star T Rex.s or my new Groove over it recently.
                        All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X