X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I might be a jinx

I think I might be a jinx or something because the last three times I have gone to play disc golf someone has gotten seriously hurt. Milo on Saturday someone got smashed in the face by a drive. Pier on Sunday my friend broke her ankle. Now Rockwood last night another friend got smashed in the back of the head by a greenhorns drive, and ended up with 5 staples & a mild concussion. I am going to play tonight with my husband, and hopefully nobody will get hurt.

Cindy
    Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
    2013 Chick Flick co-TD
    Stumptown #176
    PDGA #37716

I don't know if I want to play with you anymore after last night, Cindy. First you kick my ass on the course, then you jinx my man with your bad injury mojo.

I'm just teasing, of course. Have fun playing tonight!!

Comment

While I am pretty sure (not certain mind you), but pretty sure that Cindy is not to blame for these mishaps, but it does bring a pressing issue to the forefront.

With disc golfing getting more and more popular by the day we all have to be vigilant about being patient, considerate and thoughtful about when and where we throw. Likewise we all need to POLITELY inform people that it is not cool to throw on a hole until the group in front of you is done. I am stressing politely because unless we are polite the people doing the throwing are likely to just get pissed right back and nothing get fixed and more people get hurt. And if more people keep getting hurt then the baskets get pulled and we all lose.
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
        While I am pretty sure (not certain mind you), but pretty sure that Cindy is not to blame for these mishaps, but it does bring a pressing issue to the forefront.

With disc golfing getting more and more popular by the day we all have to be vigilant about being patient, considerate and thoughtful about when and where we throw. Likewise we all need to POLITELY inform people that it is not cool to throw on a hole until the group in front of you is done. I am stressing politely because unless we are polite the people doing the throwing are likely to just get pissed right back and nothing get fixed and more people get hurt. And if more people keep getting hurt then the baskets get pulled and we all lose.
        What if we just use Nerf discs? Seriously though Jeff is spot on with being cautious and being POLITE when helping educate others.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post

I agree with all of the above, but last night was not the case of being thrown on by another group. We were standing on 9 getting ready to tee off, and the guy who hit Eric was teeing off on 8. This was his first time playing, and he shanked a forehand bad that hit Eric. We did not hear a warning until it hit the back of Eric's head. This is a whole other issue I think with people out there not really knowing what they are doing. These guys probably thought man this looks easy I will just get up there and huk it with all my might cause I am a big strong dude. They don't necessarily think to wait for it to be clear before throwing. Man just imagine what would have happened if that had hit a non golfer.

Cindy
          2013 Chick Flick co-TD
          Stumptown #176
          PDGA #37716

Comment

Were you there for Hiatt tagging that guy in the face on 4? I heard the story from Joe Armijo and hope Hiatt is OK. The other guy... meh. Dumbass should have probably listened when he was told that he should look out. I bet he does next time.
            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

So what we really should take away from last night's incident is that you should ideally have more than 4.5 acres of land if you want to put in a 9-hole course!
              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                Were you there for Hiatt tagging that guy in the face on 4? I heard the story from Joe Armijo and hope Hiatt is OK. The other guy... meh. Dumbass should have probably listened when he was told that he should look out. I bet he does next time.
                Yup that was the Saturday incident. He got tagged bad.

Cindy
                2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                Stumptown #176
                PDGA #37716

Comment

Was Hiatt OK, though?

Was the guy who got tagged the same guy that Bart had to tell to pick up after himself?
                  ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                  ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    Was Hiatt OK, though?

Was the guy who got tagged the same guy that Bart had to tell to pick up after himself?
                    I don't know either of these guys, but the guy who got tagged at Milo on Saturday was picking up trash. Because he must have been in shock or something because he continued to the trash can after getting hit and threw his trash away before he realized boy that kinda hurt, and man I am bleeding.

Cindy
                    2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                    Stumptown #176
                    PDGA #37716

Comment

Same guy. Things are fine with me.
                      Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

My understanding was that there was a group of 10 of you and a smaller group finished on 27 and then proceeded directly to the 4 AM pad. One of the guys had left a beer can on the top of the 27 basket and Bart confronted the guy such that the guy eventually threw the can away. Then there was some dispute about who was going to throw and who was going to get out of the way. I understand that the smaller group wouldn't get off of the AM pad while the larger group was throwing. Most of the throws went off OK but then this guy got tagged by Hiatt as he was walking to the trash. And yeah... I heard he kept going to the trash can for a few more steps and then opened his mouth and spit out some blood and stuff.

So... the question remains... was Hiatt OK?
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Glad to hear it, Justin. I have always thought about how I would react if I hurt someone with a drive. Fortunately, I have only ever hurt myself and mostly on the inside where no one can see it.

~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I totally agree that we should be polite - especially when attempting to educate newer players.... last night, however, I was far from polite. I sort of feel bad about that, but I also sort of feel like this guy needed an ass chewing to realize the gravity of the situation. Had he just waited a couple of seconds to throw, or even yelled once he did throw, we wouldn't have spent the rest of the night in the ER having CT scans and getting Eric stapled up.

So what we really should take away from last night's incident is that you should ideally have more than 4.5 acres of land if you want to put in a 9-hole course!
                            I don't think it's a space issue as much as it's a respect and common sense issue. Greenway is far more spread out than Rockwood, but if I didn't use common sense and wait to throw on most holes, I could hit walkers or other park users very easily.

Comment

In this case, I think it is a spacing issue. The distance from the 8 pad to the 9 pad is what - 70 feet? That is clearly not enough room. I have seen multiple people tagged on multiple pads there. I would not consider Rockwood a safe place to play disc golf by any stretch of the imagination.
                              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X