Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I agree that those two tee pads in particular are closer together than I'd like, I don't think that was the only issue in this situation. He could have waited to throw, just like I waited to throw my drive on 9 while there were people walking up the fairway for 7. I don't even want to take the slightest chance of hurting someone.

Say you're out throwing Orchard - you're getting ready to tee on hole 5 and get hit in the back of the head by someone throwing on 4. Is the issue then the fact that Orchard is not safe to play since that tee is so close to the previous hole's basket, or is it a case of the thrower needing to be more careful (i.e. waiting to throw until it's safe/yelling fore).

Comment

In my opinion - both. The tee is too close to the previous basket and the thrower should either wait or yell.

That said, a disc thrown from the 4 tee pad that strikes someone on the 5 tee pad (at Orchard) will hit with much less force than the same throw from the 8 tee pad to the 9 tee pad (at Rockwood). The difference has got to be about 200 feet.
      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Heh, that brings up a situation that happened at the Memorial. My group and the group behind me are waiting on Tee Pad number 9 at Fountain Hills with the 2nd pennisula. For those who do know, Tee Pad 8 is looking almost straight at Tee Pad 9 but with at least 200-250 feet in between. The basket for hole 8 is about 150-175 feet to the left of tee pad 9, maybe more. I was talking to the other Deaf guy that was in the group behind me and we standing right next to tee pad 9 with maybe 10-14 other hearing DG'ers and spectators. I see some hearing guys in our group start to throw their hands up *their hands didnt even have enough time to go all the way up*, before I can cut our conversation off and turn around, a disc smacks the other Deaf guy square in the gut at full force. *The disc barely missed several other DG'ers before hitting the Deaf dude... Sean Phillips was in his group as well, i think Josh Westmoreland was in my group.. anyways*
        Ohhhh boy was he pissssssedddddd off... What kind of dumbass in a NT tournament throws directly at a crowd of 10+ people and waits till the last minute to yell fore? You know you let rip a good drive, it goes towards people, start yelling! On hole 10, which is about 360-390 with a path on the right farther down the fairway. I let a very good rip hyzer with a boss. I see it could possibly go longer than anticipated and there is a little girl and her mom walking on the path, didn't see them before I threw, but of course I yelled super loud before the disc was half way there just to be cautious, and i think, gosh, that was EASY to do, ain't no one gonna be pissed off that I yelled too loud, cuz I was following the rules of respect of the game, if there a chance a disc could hit someone, start yelling early and loud. The disc faded maybe 10 feet short of the little girl and they both just continued walking, but i can imagine the mother being super pissed off if I had yelled later or not at all... I've been fortuante enough to only been hit once, at Orchard on tee pad 8 from a FUBAR throw off teepad 7, in the leg, walked over, was like WTF man, ever hear of saying fore? Guy was like, oh dude, oops... makes you wanna run up and rip his head off but nono, let it go... but tournament play is a whole lot different... anyways, back to the point, common sense says yell fore early and loud... although shorter flight distance before impact is a different situation and is more related to waiting before throwing....

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
          I think I might be a jinx or something because the last three times I have gone to play disc golf someone has gotten seriously hurt. Milo on Saturday someone got smashed in the face by a drive. Pier on Sunday my friend broke her ankle. Now Rockwood last night another friend got smashed in the back of the head by a greenhorns drive, and ended up with 5 staples & a mild concussion. I am going to play tonight with my husband, and hopefully nobody will get hurt.

Cindy
          I don't think your jinxed. It's just a coincidence. We played Pier on Friday and nobody got hurt. btw-fun doubles round.
          "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet View Post
            I don't think your jinxed. It's just a coincidence. We played Pier on Friday and nobody got hurt. btw-fun doubles round.
            What are you talking about? My ego was seriously hurt!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
              What are you talking about? My ego was seriously hurt!

Bob
              You had a what, 14 point lead on us?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                My understanding was that there was a group of 10 of you ..............................
                Ten !

I ran into a group of 8 at Lakewood last week.
                This is just wrong.

Golfers should be in foursomes, maximum.
                I agree everyone deserves the right to play, but ten players on a hole just means everyone else on the course either has long waits, or has to play through, and thats not going to encourage good sportsmanship.

Why do you do this ?

Comment

Well I guess I am not a jinx after all. I played 4 rounds tonight at Vance with my husband, and nobody got injured. Not even a hangnail. Whew what a relief

Cindy
                  Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
                  2013 Chick Flick co-TD
                  Stumptown #176
                  PDGA #37716

Comment

Originally posted by captain jack View Post
                    Ten !

I ran into a group of 8 at Lakewood last week.
                    This is just wrong.

Golfers should be in foursomes, maximum.
                    I agree everyone deserves the right to play, but ten players on a hole just means everyone else on the course either has long waits, or has to play through, and thats not going to encourage good sportsmanship.

Why do you do this ?
                    I think that he meant that there was a group of 10 people or so...not necessarily playing at the same time. We were in group of 4 playing through Armijo's group when the group of 3 showed up.

I'm in total agreement of foursomes...
                    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

I didn't know who was playing with who but figured that there were multiple groups on the pad. I don't think our seasoned golfers play in tensomes very often.
                      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

We've played large groups during Casual Sundays, as many as 10. But hey, we T off by 8 am and there are few golfers awake on a Sunday morning at that time, unless they haven't been to bed yet. Big groups are fine early or late, provided they play ready golf. Come on folks, not everyone who huks plays for ego, tags, or chips. Relax.
                        educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by LegoRules View Post
                          We did not hear a warning until it hit the back of Eric's head.
                          My first ship in the navy was a submarine tender, a repair ship. One of my jobs was working on antennas with wrenches, way above the weather deck. We were taught never to yell "heads up" when we dropped a wrench or a fitting. It was better to nail someone on top of the head than in the face. Something to think about.
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

WTH, you hearing people yell "heads up"?? I never understood this one, I would yell something like "cover your head"! That way someone runs undercover with hands over their heads.. Seems like common sense to me, but my dad always said, Hearing people do dumbazxed things just like Deaf people do their own dumbaxzed things... cool with me lol...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                              WTH, you hearing people yell "heads up"?? I never understood this one, I would yell something like "cover your head"! That way someone runs undercover with hands over their heads.. Seems like common sense to me, but my dad always said, Hearing people do dumbazxed things just like Deaf people do their own dumbaxzed things... cool with me lol...
                              Duck and Cover!

Comment

I have met disc golfers who instead of yelling FORE, yell HEADACHE!
                                Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                                Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                                Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                                Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                                Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X