I was worried about conditioning Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I was worried about conditioning

    soooooooooooooo................with the GNO coming up at Whistlers and three grueling rounds there I needed to test myself to see if I can handle it. Being almost 58 years old a big course can really knock you down. I feel better about my conditioning now.

    Friday
    36 holes at Pier

    Saturday
    27 holes at Milo (long pads)

    Sunday
    38 holes at Pier (played 3&4 on the way back)

    Monday
    36 holes at N. Bonneville
    18 holes at Dabney

    115 holes in four days. Now I feel better about my conditioning. I WILL take the next couple of days off however.

    Bob

  • #2
    Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
    soooooooooooooo................with the GNO coming up at Whistlers and three grueling rounds there I needed to test myself to see if I can handle it. Being almost 58 years old a big course can really knock you down. I feel better about my conditioning now.

    Friday
    36 holes at Pier

    Saturday
    27 holes at Milo (long pads)

    Sunday
    38 holes at Pier (played 3&4 on the way back)

    Monday
    36 holes at N. Bonneville
    18 holes at Dabney

    115 holes in four days. Now I feel better about my conditioning. I WILL take the next couple of days off however.

    Bob
    I still remember when 18 at Pier would wipe you out. You've come a long way.

    Comment


    • #3
      It's weird, I've found that my index finger wears out long before my arm: hangnails, blood blisters, you name it.
      Oregon disc golf map

      Comment


      • #4
        Odd. On most rounds at Trojan, I find my middle finger wears out before any of the rest...
        TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm mad impressed, something about my swing and my shoulders keeps me from playing much at all after a 36 hole type of day. Good Job
          PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
          dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

          Comment


          • #6
            Disc Golf Conditioning - That would be a great topic for an article! Thanks for the idea Bob!

            Some things that I can think of right off the bat is doing some non-disc golf workouts to increase muscular endurance and cardio health.

            1.) Walking - Constant 2 + miles. Most disc golf courses are 1 to 3 miles long including walk outs and zig zag around the course.

            2.) Trail Walking / Hiking - Add some elevation and really start taxing the heart and leg muscles!

            3.) Running - the best type of roadwork for cardio health and leg endurance. Start small (1 to 2 miles at a slower pace). Or run for time (20 min run increasing gradually).

            Thats just the lower half of the body, I'll look into upper body conditioning that would be beneficial for disc golf.
            Team DISCRAFT
            NW Sign Up
            Gorilla Boy
            Paragon Disc Golf
            Odwalla

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm almost as old as you, but I can play more golf now than ever before, without pain.

              I played 124 holes of golf Saturday and Sunday.
              Not just short courses either.
              2 rounds at White River (blue tees) then 18 more at Lakewood on Saturday.
              2 rounds at Twin Rivers, then 34 holes at Lake Stevens on Sunday. I would have played today, it was so nice out, but I had to work.

              One round used to destroy my arm years ago, then I would not be able to play for a couple of days, now I can play till my legs give out.
              The secret is the changeup. I throw almost 50/50 forehand/backhand drives now, so my arm doesnt get destroyed by all the backhand stress, this makes a huge difference.

              Playing well helps too, if you only have to throw two shots per hole, instead of four, its half as tiring, plus its amazing how tossing birdies blocks the pain from sore muscles.

              Comment


              • #8
                38 at 's on Sunday lower thigh's burn a little today....

                so yea 38 at 's 2 rounds and an extra trip up to Top of World
                "In Discatarianism We Trust"

                :cheers:

                :cool:sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                  3.) Running - the best type of roadwork for cardio health and leg endurance. Start small (1 to 2 miles at a slower pace). Or run for time (20 min run increasing gradually).
                  For those who don't want to venture far from home, I heard 10min of jump roping is the same as running 1 mile.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by T-what? View Post
                    For those who don't want to venture far from home, I heard 10min of jump roping is the same as running 1 mile.
                    Jumping rope is crazy good cardio exercise. Maybe it's just because I suck at it, but 10 minutes of rope feels like running 2 miles at a near sprint.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      How about Wii Boxing? Man, that tires me out! And it's not even 3 real minutes per round!
                      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Alright, i'll step in here, being the specialist in this field. A general rule of thumb is "time of exercise with your heart beat over a certain bpm *beats per minute*". Without getting all too complicated, you want to make sure your heart beat per minute is over a certain number, most people pick 110-130 depending on age, and keep it above that number for 15-20 minutes. For anyone under 25, probably would get the number above 140 but not past 170-180 bpm. For those 25-35 would want it in the 120-140 range for those not in top shape. And then older than 35 would want it in the 110-130 range. Keep in mind this is just a general rule of thumb to those who dont do actual exercise more than 3 times a week over a long period of time. Harder exercise gets the BPM higher, therefore reducing the time of the exercise period.
                        Since bob says he is 58, he would need to do a little research on what his target BPM would be and see what number of BPM he would need to be over to consider it cardio exercise. WALKING is not considered exercise because it does not maintain a BPM over 110 the majority of the time. Unless you play Sipapu in New Mexico... heh..

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Well, Bob, back when I was only 58 I could do that many holes in a brisk march.













                          Now it's not a question of stamina, but of how bad different parts of me hurt. Take good care of that machine.
                          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                          ...but it plays one on TV.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                            Disc Golf Conditioning - That would be a great topic for an article! Thanks for the idea Bob!

                            Some things that I can think of right off the bat is doing some non-disc golf workouts to increase muscular endurance and cardio health.

                            1.) Walking - Constant 2 + miles. Most disc golf courses are 1 to 3 miles long including walk outs and zig zag around the course.

                            2.) Trail Walking / Hiking - Add some elevation and really start taxing the heart and leg muscles!

                            3.) Running - the best type of roadwork for cardio health and leg endurance. Start small (1 to 2 miles at a slower pace). Or run for time (20 min run increasing gradually).

                            Thats just the lower half of the body, I'll look into upper body conditioning that would be beneficial for disc golf.
                            I'd be interested to know what you come up with...winter was a little rough on me.
                            Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "WALKING is not considered exercise because it does not maintain a BPM over 110 the majority of the time. Unless you play Sipapu in New Mexico... heh.."

                              Nathan, do you mean walking is not considered CARDIO exercise???

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X