Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those who do cardio and "maintanence" exercise, that is correct, walking is not considered cardio exercise, but it is considered maintence exercise because you are moving for a long period of time yada yada. In general, people think walking is "exercise" when it is really not, because it has minimal to zero cardio benefits but is good for maintence, meaning gets your blood flowing etc but will not help you improve in any area...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
      For those who do cardio and "maintanence" exercise, that is correct, walking is not considered cardio exercise, but it is considered maintence exercise because you are moving for a long period of time yada yada. In general, people think walking is "exercise" when it is really not, because it has minimal to zero cardio benefits but is good for maintence, meaning gets your blood flowing etc but will not help you improve in any area...
      Walking is about 1000 times better than sitting at home all day. I like to jog courses though. I throw run to my disc .. take my time throwing but run to each spot. That works out pretty well.

Comment

Running between throws is a great way to get a much higher BPM than walking between throws. However, the best way to maximize the benefits of this method is a 5 minute warm up that gets your BPM over 110-130 before starting the first hole so that running between holes will maintain what you started, rather than mild warm up and then throw first throw and your first run be after your first throw, which means your BPM has to climb instead of being maintained from the warmup... Many of you won't do this method because it is not a "mainstream" accepted method and dosen't mirror tournament style as well as it is a bit hard to run with a 10-20 pound bag on your back. So warming up for 5-10 minutes before a round will both benefit your health and your muscles will be much less prone to injury because it is warmed up. Jogging holes 1-9 and back to hole 1 is a great way to warm up and to check out basket placements and flight paths and will improve your score as well...

Comment

Running between throws is a great way to get a much higher BPM than walking between throws. However, the best way to maximize the benefits of this method is a 5 minute warm up that gets your BPM over 110-130 before starting the first hole so that running between holes will maintain what you started, rather than mild warm up and then throw first throw and your first run be after your first throw, which means your BPM has to climb instead of being maintained from the warmup... Many of you won't do this method because it is not a "mainstream" accepted method and dosen't mirror tournament style as well as it is a bit hard to run with a 10-20 pound bag on your back. So warming up for 5-10 minutes before a round will both benefit your health and your muscles will be much less prone to injury because it is warmed up. Jogging holes 1-9 and back to hole 1 is a great way to warm up and to check out basket placements and flight paths and will improve your score as well...

that is actually a great idea .. and it will tae just about 5 minutes so that works out well. I may just use that idea!

Comment

It's great exercise, but hell on one's putting accuracy.
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

WALKING is not considered exercise because it does not maintain a BPM over 110 the majority of the time.
              Then you're not walking fast enough. When I walk for exercise (different than casual walks, or walking during a round), I try to hit at least 4 mph. That gets the heart going after a few miles.

Funny - I hate to jog/run. Can't stand it. I've decided to "start running" about ten times over the course of my life. I don't think I've ever lasted more than a couple of weeks before I drop it completely. It feels too much like work. But I love to walk and it's really no less of a workout.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Schneider View Post
                It's great exercise, but hell on one's putting accuracy.
                Assume that when you're playing for speed that you're not really that concerned about score.

Putting accuracy comes during a seperate practice session.

Comment

When I run I get good scores usually. I don't overthink my shots. I do always pause sufficiently for putts though.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Funny - I hate to jog/run. Can't stand it. I've decided to "start running" about ten times over the course of my life. I don't think I've ever lasted more than a couple of weeks before I drop it completely. It feels too much like work.
                    Ditto. When we had to run the mile in school, I told myself no matter what I choose to do for work/fun, it will NEVER involve jogging. I'd usually come in the top 3 in my class but a lot of smarter girls just walked it.
                    "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      Then you're not walking fast enough. When I walk for exercise (different than casual walks, or walking during a round), I try to hit at least 4 mph. That gets the heart going after a few miles.

Funny - I hate to jog/run. Can't stand it. I've decided to "start running" about ten times over the course of my life. I don't think I've ever lasted more than a couple of weeks before I drop it completely. It feels too much like work. But I love to walk and it's really no less of a workout.
                      This is why I am focused on BPM, one person can walk at 3 mph and hit a BPM of 130 while the next person walks at 4.5 mph and only gets a BPM of 100. BPM is what determines the difficulty of the workout on your body, not the speed. Micheal Johnson probably could have run 8 MPH and only had a BPM of 100-110.

Unfortuately some people are not able to expirence the "runner's high" which is what keeps those people to sticking to their workouts, reasons for that will need to be researched.

Funny Jet mentions "smarter girls" walked... when it is a proven theory that exercise is related to intelleigence and better work habits.

Comment

This is why I am focused on BPM, one person can walk at 3 mph and hit a BPM of 130 while the next person walks at 4.5 mph and only gets a BPM of 100. BPM is what determines the difficulty of the workout on your body, not the speed. Micheal Johnson probably could have run 8 MPH and only had a BPM of 100-110.

Unfortuately some people are not able to expirence the "runner's high" which is what keeps those people to sticking to their workouts, reasons for that will need to be researched.

Funny Jet mentions "smarter girls" walked... when it is a proven theory that exercise is related to intelleigence and better work habits.
                        I have a hard time just walking, whether slow or fast. I WANT to run! I ran when I was younger and experienced the high and love to run, but the old body doesn't allow it anymore. I've had two surgeries on my back and the impact of running tears me up. My mind tells me the best thing I can do is get on the stationary bike and get those BPM that Snap is talking about. This getting old thing isn't all it's cracked up to be. Two cuttings on the back, gall bladder yanked out, diebetic, two stents in heart, and the truth is disc golf is the BEST therapy for me. All things considered I'm pretty darn lucky to be in the shape I am.

Bob

Comment

ok Bob, with that added information, I want you to try one thing for me, easy and simple, for 7 straight days, and then tell me how you feel overall and what you notice... When it is almost time for bed, stretch really good, do each position for 20-30 good seconds. Stretch for 8-12 minutes, don't under do it, and don't over do it, do the stretches as you know it is stretching and feeling good and not painful. Usually 4 stretches for the upper body x2 *one each side*, then 4 for the lower body x2 *one for each side* will do the trick for getting 8-12 minutes. After 7 loyal days, tell me what happens..

After looking around at various websites, someone your age would have a target BPM somewhere between 80-120 BPM because of your age and not a person who has been exercising on a regular basis. However with your various red flags, before doing regular vigorous exercise, I would consult with a medical professional first.
                          Last edited by snap7times; April 7th, 2009, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Hold your horses!

it is a proven theory that exercise is related to intelligence.
                            Sorry Snap! I won't debate all of your fancy BPM stuff, but you can't just drop these kinds of statements without backing it up. I would have to say that exercise has ZERO correlation to intelligence. So prove me wrong! Let's see your so called proven theory. I call it BS as you can't even spell intelligence correctly!

And don't me going with your standard 'picking on the handicapped guy' crap either. I know that's how you registered for the BSF before me...

Show me what you got!
                            Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                            Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                            Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                            Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                            Or does here stand the last remaining man
                            To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                            No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                            Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                            Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Just google it up, exercise improves brain power, concentration, self esteem etc, which leads to this and that and yada yada... I blame my spell check for not fixing that word for me. At least I signed it correctly, I hope you can too . At least this typing English mumbo jumbo is my 2nd language mr. smarty pants...

And I signed up for BSF before you because I exercise and that exercise makes me smarter, and therefore helped me figure out how to beat the system and get in...

Anyways, resisting my advice will only make you fatter and less able to throw that 350 footer you USED to throw

Comment

And I signed up for BSF before you because I exercise and that exercise makes me smarter, and therefore helped me figure out how to beat the system and get in...
                                Makes sense to me.
                                "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X