Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are looking for something more overstable than your Rocs, perhaps you should look into either a Whippet (crazy overstable) or a Gator. Both are like a short Monster/Firebird.
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
      Whoa, thanks Magilla for removing our beer goggles and showing us what "Discraft" really spells... As for Papa, I wouldn't openly advertise that you are on their team. Dion is ok cuz he can defend himself with his three black belts and killer 360's. You, however, whom I have never met, but heard have pink hair, on a team.... *images popping up above my head* ohhhhhhh

Maybe that's why i like the JK avair, as in Just Kidding....

Leave poor ol' Scott alone.... He likes his "Pink Hair", It lets people know where he is at all times.

Last edited by Magilla; April 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM. Reason: I had a bad morning.....

Comment

Originally posted by papatart View Post
        Or you could stop waiting to beat in that Roc to get it to fly like the "perfect Roc" and just get a Buzzz. If you are looking for that over stable Roc, then get a Wasp. You can get both of these in D, X, Z and ESP plastic (and the Buzzz in FLX) so your choices are huge and always available. How cool that you can buy one that will last and last and they don't cost 57.00 a piece. Neato!
        There are a few problems with that setup that the Rocs don't have. Once the Wasp beats in, you put it on the wall because it now overlaps with your new Buzzzes. Then you have to buy a new Wasp anyway because the Buzzz can't fill that overstable mid role, even in the most stable premium plastics.

Not to mention that most midranges beat in slowly, so you want the baseline plastic that flies truer to the mold and you can grip it better in the rain/snow. DX feels better in the hand and beats in more consistently than Pro D. I've heard Discraft's most recent Pro D plastic feels like a better blend. I haven't thrown any of the newest Pro D yet, but it sounds promising at least.

Also, assuming Snap7times isn't a sponsored pro like yourself, he will benefit from minimizing his molds in order to throw more consistently and learn the discs over time. Most sponsored pros could throw a different mold for every shot on the course and still dominate us Ams, but its easier to get better using fewer molds.

DX Rocs last and last. I have one from 3 years ago that is still very useful as a turnover mid. A 3 year old Pro D or X Buzzz would be a roller or in the trash. I have never spent more than 10 dollars on a Roc in my bag, and I have never retired one because it became too squirrely. Neato!
        We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post

Leave poor ol' Scott alone.... He likes his "Pink Hair", It lets people know where he is at all times. That way his caddie can sneak up on you and make sure you are not breaking the rules.

Its a good way to win events...when true skill cant get it done.

The following has no info on Rocs so if you want to skip it I understand...

Wow Mike, Don't know what I ever did to you to bring that on...I never understood why people love to try and bash people over the internet when they are really just speaking untruths. Maybe you are just bitter over the fact that for the last eight years your total winnings are only just over $2600 while I am nearing the $20,000 mark. I curse my unbelievably poor game and the lack of skill I can muster on any course.

Now the really funny thing is that I am running up my wins and winnings with what you consider to be inferior plastic. Maybe that is what angers you. Here I am with supposedly worse equipment and yet I have enough skill to play better than many people quite consistently.

The sad part is the fact that I was just having a little fun with this thread and trying to support one of my sponsors and giving people a little heads up about what Discraft offers. I will tell you that I own a pro shop on my course and give people tons of info on all makers of discs. And when someone asks me what the most popular disc is I will always say that if you go to a one disc tournament, more people will be throwing the Roc than probably all other discs combined. It is a great disc and always will be. No question about it.

I just know from being an old Roc thrower that I am way happier now knowing that I can pick any Buzzz out of the box and know that it will fly the same way every time. It doesn't matter about the mold changes or year produced. And even better, I don't have to season it to get it to throw like I want it to. It starts that way and stays that way and it's great because I and everyone else can get the premium plastic versions anywhere for normal prices.

Further, I found it a little sad that you, a moderator, would use a quote of mine in your reply and change the quote. It is something that shouldn't be allowed on the forum anyway but I find it in poor taste to represent what someone has posted inaccurately.

Lastly, yes, I do play by the rules and expect everyone else to at all times. It is how we know how to play the game. If you are not enforcing the rules while you play, then you are doing a disservice to those in an event who are following the rules. There is no rule in our ever-so-small book that should be overlooked and if you feel that "being discreet" makes it all good, I am sorry.

Sorry this happened on your Roc thread.....I will leave it alone from here on out.

Later,
          Scott Papa
          Team Discraft
          Team Bite Shoes
          Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine
          Team Discraft

Comment

Yo Parks,

I agree that the D version beats in very fast, especially in the Northwest with all these tall thingies in the way. While both the D and X are available, I always advocate the Z and ESP versions of those discs. A Z or ESP disc gives you incredible life. I have never retired a Z or ESP disc based on performance. They always just get replaced due to the fact that I see a new color or dye job that I like.

However, not everyone likes the Z or ESP plastic so there is that also....

Bottom line, Roc's are great when you find that right one that suits your game. Just don't throw it where it might smack a tree at 50 MPH!

Later,
            Papa
            Team Discraft

Comment

i have to agree with Papa here, i switched over from roc's to a Z wasp and a Z buzzz and have NEVER regreted the switch!! i originally switched because i was looking for a roc that was more overstable and wouldnt get bent out of shape after hitting a tree.

i throw my Z wasp tons of times every time i play and my wife and i are out at the course just about every day. i have hit hundreds of trees with my Z wasp and it STILL THROWS JUST LIKE A BRAND NEW ROC!!!

and like Papa said, i know that if i lose one of those discs i can just go buy a new one and the will fly the exact same way! no break in time needed. i have never had any inconsistancies with these discs when thrown. i would rather buy a Z wasp for 15 dollars once and have it last me years than spending 10 dollars per roc and buying 1 or 2 every year! dont even bother with X or D plastic, for longevity just get ESP or Z plastic.
              Team HOSER:dancing:
              Team OLY:cheerleader:
              Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

If you like a Roc, of course you will like the Wasp. Same mold.

I wonder how that happened.
                ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by papatart View Post
                  Yo Parks,

I agree that the D version beats in very fast, especially in the Northwest with all these tall thingies in the way. While both the D and X are available, I always advocate the Z and ESP versions of those discs. A Z or ESP disc gives you incredible life. I have never retired a Z or ESP disc based on performance. They always just get replaced due to the fact that I see a new color or dye job that I like.

However, not everyone likes the Z or ESP plastic so there is that also....

Bottom line, Roc's are great when you find that right one that suits your game. Just don't throw it where it might smack a tree at 50 MPH!

Later,
                  Papa
                  Nono, dont leave papa, this is a very educational and amusing thread at the same time. True we should not change other people's quotes except to make them bold and put an emphasis on what is being replied to... I am enjoying seeing what people have to say about the midrange game and all of that.
                  Now I throw these for my midrange game and hoping to find the disc between the Roc/overstable buzz and the gator...
                  180g KC pro roc
                  175g KC pro roc
                  173-178 Cryztal Buzzz
                  176g ESP FLX Buzzz
                  168g Z Buzzz
                  172g Star Gator
                  172g Star Gator
                  172g Pro Pig

and from what I gather, I should look into a 175-180g esp wasp and a flat top roc... right?

Comment

Maybe have a midrange only tournament? Vendors that sell only innova and discraft midrange discs on site. Rules like, must have a minimum of 3 different molds, maximum 6 or 7; cannot throw the same disc until your 4th throw so that means you have to throw 2 other molds before going back to the 1st one... ideas ideas...

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                      If you like a Roc, of course you will like the Wasp. Same mold.

I wonder how that happened.
                      Actually they are not from the same mold. very similar but not the same.

and a quote that i love is this " innova made it first, but DISCRAFT makes it better!!!!

Team Meteor

Comment

I love humor. And the punch line about Discraft making it better... that is a good one.

But you're right. They are not from the same mold. Rocs are from Innova's mold while the Wasp is from Discraft's mold that they stole from Innova. Similar down to every detail other than what the sign on the door outside the shop says.
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

i am glad that you can laugh! laughter is good for us all and keeps us healthy!!

i know from throwing both discraft and innova, that discraft makes a far superior plastic and they dont keep changing there formulas so the discs charachteristics always stay the same. that cannot be said about innova. they are constantly tweaking the mold and the plastic formula. and that makes for inconsitant discs.

as long as its better i dont care how discraft came up with the mold for the wasp. and any first grader can tell by just looking at a wasp and a roc that the mold is different.

so you keep throwing your inferior discs and i will throw the better stuff(discraft) and i will wave at you as i pass you by on the superhighway of tournament winnings and player ratings.
                          Team Meteor

Comment

Sam probably thinks the Aviar P&A and Warlock are the same mold too...

Comment

Roc(Rancho):
                              Detailed information
                              Diameter 21,7 cm
                              Maximum weight 180,1 gram
                              Height 2,0 cm
                              Rim depth 1,3 cm
                              Inside rim diameter 19,3 cm
                              Rim thickness 1,2 cm
                              Rim depth/ Diameter ratio 6,0 %
                              Rim configuration ratio 43,00
                              Flexibility rating 8,51

Roc(San Marino):
                              Detailed information
                              Diameter 21,2 cm
                              Maximum weight 176,0 gram
                              Height 2,0 cm
                              Rim depth 1,2 cm
                              Inside rim diameter 19,4 cm
                              Rim thickness 0,9 cm
                              Rim depth/ Diameter ratio 5,7 %
                              Rim configuration ratio 42,75
                              Flexibility rating 8,96

Wasp:
                              Detailed information
                              Diameter 21,6 cm
                              Maximum weight 179,3 gram
                              Height 1,8 cm
                              Rim depth 1,3 cm
                              Inside rim diameter 19,2 cm
                              Rim thickness 1,2 cm
                              Rim depth/ Diameter ratio 6,0 %
                              Rim configuration ratio 37,00
                              Flexibility rating < 8,39

One would think if it was the same mold the numbers would match up. Hmmm...

Comment

It is a foolish magician who thinks that the company who makes his magic wand has any import on the magic he produces with it.

If Discraft is responsible for your 886 player rating, I would say you should BLAME them, not credit them.

Just my $.02

~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X