X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All drivers BANNED?

KANSAS, April 1 (Reuters) The emerging sport of disc golf may have been dealt a crippling blow after an injury sustained recently at a disc golf course in Emporia, KS. The game follows similar rules of golf, but is played with specially designed flying discs. Some of the discs have sharp profiles to enable them to fly farther and faster than a typical Frisbee, and many of the courses are built in public multi-use parks.

Deborah Blackwell, 21, was walking through Jones Park with her three year old daughter, Natalie, when seemingly out of nowhere, a disc golf disc came hurtling out of the air and crashed into Natalie's face. She was rushed to the emergency room and found to have a broken bone in her orbital socket. "I don't know how this game was ever considered a good, safe idea by the park," Blackwell stated.

Blackwell has since started a campaign to ban the manufacture and use of the type of discs known as "drivers," the models with the sharpest profiles. The campaign is quickly gaining momentum, as other concerned park users across the country echo Blackwell's concerns. She says that she already has well over 7,000 signatures.

"I just don't see the need for these flying weapons," Blackwell said, "I wouldn't even want to try catching one of those things, let alone have them flying into my loved ones." The campaign's initial focus is the removal of the drivers from the market, but they would eventually like to see foam products, like Hasbro's Nerf toys being used. "My kids have fun with Nerf, so I don't see why everyone else can't have fun with it too," said Blackwell.

Dave Dunipace, owner of Innova Discs, one of the primary disc golf manufacturers, could not be reached for comment.

APRIL FOOL'S!!!
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Tim.............I HATE YOU!

Bob

Comment

Dude, not nice... not cool... *black mark by Tim*
        I was actually starting to get emotional reading that... damn... *time to double those pills*

Comment

The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Crap that was a good one You really had me going I was thinking how the heck would throwing a nerf driver work

Cindy
            Next Adventure Flight Crew Member
            2013 Chick Flick co-TD
            Stumptown #176
            PDGA #37716

Comment

Forget that today is April's Fool Day... Good one as you really got me and others, too!!
              PDGA 38506
              ODDGA 27
              DDGA 176
              2012 Beaver State Fling Women ADV Master

Comment

When drivers are outlawed, only outlaws will have drivers.
                The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

that..............

thats just wrong
                  PDGA # 31451
                  2 Mini Aces
                  75 Aces
                  PEOPLE WHO HELP ME LOTS IN DISC GOLF
                  DISC GOLF OR DIE
                  BOB CABAL
                  DISCVANGO
                  JEFF ELLIOT
                  G-MAN
                  JORDAN LEWIS
                  JEFF HAGERTY
                  JAMES GARCELON
                  SAM GIBSON

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin

Comment

Great April Fools!!! Kudos!!

That was a really well-done write-up. I was waiting with baited breath to see what people would come up with for April Fool's Day. Congrats!

Comment

Anyone got a pair of pliers? I seem to have a fishhook lodged in my cheek.... Good one!
                      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Nicely played, Tim. Although, IMHO, you should have left off the April Fools disclaimer and let us bitch and moan for a day.

Comment

For some reason, the last sentence about Dave Dunipace tipped me off.
                          Oregon disc golf map

Comment

That was a scary April fools joke.

Comment

you suck.
                              May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X