X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeble old minds wander!

So, as I'm making the long drive up I-5 from Southern Oregon my feeble old mind starts to wander. I see a sign for the Powerball Jackpot and all the millions up for grabs. WHAT IF I were to win that? I could buy a chunk of land, put in my own course just for me AND my closest friends. (all 2 million of them) BUT, what if I buy a huge piece of land? Maybe put in more than one course? Maybe three Milo-esque courses? Close to Milo? Maybe room for camping, small cabins, pro shop? Build everything in one place big enough for Worlds? I could sponsor and bring Worlds to Oregon? Ah yessssssssss it was a good day dreamer moment.

How much land WOULD you need to do this? What would YOU do to make it the best three courses EVER? Would YOU even consider this? OR would you keep it all to yourself? Just having another SENIOR moment!

Bob

Every plan I have has multiple steps, but in every case, step 1 is, "win the Lotto."
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

I would probably do this as well.. I think the rule of thumb is 1 acre per hole, but if you want it Milo sized, I would think 1.5 acres per hole cuz shorter ones take up less space so it balances out. I would totally love this. Camp Taloali will have that nice feel, but the course quality, who knows heh... definitely will have 2 courses for larger tournaments if that happens.. work party there this weekend and then May right after BSF... Hope it's done by then...

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
        So, as I'm making the long drive up I-5 from Southern Oregon my feeble old mind starts to wander. I see a sign for the Powerball Jackpot and all the millions up for grabs. WHAT IF I were to win that? I could buy a chunk of land, put in my own course just for me AND my closest friends. (all 2 million of them) BUT, what if I buy a huge piece of land? Maybe put in more than one course? Maybe three Milo-esque courses? Close to Milo? Maybe room for camping, small cabins, pro shop? Build everything in one place big enough for Worlds? I could sponsor and bring Worlds to Oregon? Ah yessssssssss it was a good day dreamer moment.

How much land WOULD you need to do this? What would YOU do to make it the best three courses EVER? Would YOU even consider this? OR would you keep it all to yourself? Just having another SENIOR moment!

Bob
        Hey Bob. If you were driving up from Southern Oregon you drove past the ridge that we've (mostly me) eyed for years for perfect lotto winning course land. If you're heading north on I-5 look to the left about a mile past Rice Hill and you'll see it along the freeway. It has elevation, trees, open space, and plenty of land. Every time I drive past I do a lotto day dream. But if I did win big, I think these days I'd relocate to the Oregon Coast and build a Bandon Dunes quality level disc golf course on the Central Coast. That way I'd have a place to play when we go on vacation there every summer. I'm tired of playing on the beach all day, the high tide keeps taking the baskets. I can't begin to tell you how may I've lost to winter storms. Maybe some day an El Nino event will take the sand out and uncover the baskets so they look like the hull spines of old shipwrecks. Ah... lotto dreams are fun to contemplate.

Comment

Remember, open land (that's not sand) has to be mowed. The portion of the fields that I mow as fairways on all or part of 15 holes runs to about 35 miles of pulling a 6 foot wide mower deck at about 4 MPH.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
            Remember, open land (that's not sand) has to be mowed. The portion of the fields that I mow as fairways on all or part of 15 holes runs to about 35 miles of pulling a 6 foot wide mower deck at about 4 MPH.
            We're talking fantasy here. If I can buy 50 acres with my lottery winnings, I can certainly pay for a grounds crew.

Comment

If I won the lotto and/or could purchase a large amount of land for a disc golf course it would be so sick!!! I would try my best to build a scenic challenging course. I would have a small snack shack @ the end of the course, and on weekends you could buy BBQ for lunch/dinner and between rounds. Some holes would have boyscout-style cabins off the edge of the fairway. This way when tourneys are held, travel golf would be simpler/cheaper/funner... Who doesn't want to wake up look outside hear the birds chirping, and see the sun shining down on a basket all glorious like... and hey if not cabins for rent during tourneys, why not a disc golf retirement course??? LOL I know my dads getting up there and I don't know what he'd do w/o golf!!!
              "Just because you have a club doesn't mean you're organized..."

Comment

Hey, that's where I live.

===============

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                We're talking fantasy here.
                No, I believe the subject is the wandering of feeble old minds.

Comment

Originally posted by kokaneeninja View Post
                  If I won the lotto and/or could purchase a large amount of land for a disc golf course it would be so sick!!! I would try my best to build a scenic challenging course. I would have a small snack shack @ the end of the course, and on weekends you could buy BBQ for lunch/dinner and between rounds. Some holes would have boyscout-style cabins off the edge of the fairway. This way when tourneys are held, travel golf would be simpler/cheaper/funner... Who doesn't want to wake up look outside hear the birds chirping, and see the sun shining down on a basket all glorious like... and hey if not cabins for rent during tourneys, why not a disc golf retirement course??? LOL I know my dads getting up there and I don't know what he'd do w/o golf!!!

kokaneeninja, welcome to the site. Where do you play mostly? In my daydreams I was actually thinking about Boy Scout type aderondak cabins, the ones that are primarily three sided with buit-in bunks. From your name here (kokaneeninja), would you also be a fisher person? Wonder how many other disc golfs also fish?

Bob

Comment

I play the greater Puget Sound area mostly. From Steilacoom to Bellingham, however Terrace Creek is only 5 mins from my house so it gets most of my attention. I do not know if I qualify as a "fisher person." I have not done so in years, the name has always been a nickname because I'm a Canadian Indian... Where do you play mostly? Oregon? I've never made it down yet, I will finally get to hit up some Oregon golf this summer, I'll be down for String Summit!!!
                    "Just because you have a club doesn't mean you're organized..."

Comment

I play the greater Puget Sound area mostly. From Steilacoom to Bellingham, however Terrace Creek is only 5 mins from my house so it gets most of my attention. I do not know if I qualify as a "fisher person." I have not done so in years, the name has always been a nickname because I'm a Canadian Indian... Where do you play mostly? Oregon? I've never made it down yet, I will finally get to hit up some Oregon golf this summer, I'll be down for String Summit!!!
                      Yes, I mostly play Oregon courses and live in Milwaukie, south of Portland. When is the String Summit? Let us know when you will be here and we can make sure get a tour of our local courses.

Actually I just looked and see the Summit is at Hornings Hideout mid July. You have three courses right there but some of the holes may be taken out of play due to the event. Time permitting you could still some local hot spots.

Bob

Comment

I plan to buy a fishing license this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
                          I plan to buy a fishing license this year.
                          !

You "rebel"!

Bob

Comment

Seriously, I didn't buy a license last year and I never even walked down to the creek to flip a fly. I can't enjoy fishing if I have to look over my shoulder for a game warden, even one who never shows up. I just don't feel like denying myself again this year. I don't fish much and usually don't catch much, but I like having the option to try. Anyway, Fletch has said he can get me into a boat for a shot at some Springers this year. I've never caught one and can't believe their could be a better eating fish in the galaxy than fresh Springer. Now just where has my feeble old mind gotten off to?
                            Last edited by Ol' Bob; March 25th, 2009, 09:38 AM.

Comment

What a GREAT dream, you guys!
                              As a female player, I have all those same dreams, and being up there age-wise and still beginning my hopes of being an advanced player someday, I would love nothing more than to buy a little home on a disc golf course!
                              I would like to see more porta-potties or out-houses or bathrooms (whichever is greener and can be taken care of) along the course for us women who just can't whip-er out and face a tree to pee. I've had to expose myself on many occasions (I don't really care - I'm more concerned with the onlookers!)
                              I would create a little pub at the end of the course for those of us who love our cold beer after a good run.
                              Well, gotta quit my dreamin' and get my butt back to work here.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X