Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuffling cards

I have two topics to address here:

1st, when a tournament is initially making their cards I would propose that they don't stick to the tried and true alphabetical order. While I do enjoy playing with all the other TUVWXYZs I would rather get to mix it up a but more. As it stands I almost always play the first round with the same 8 guys and never with the rest of the field.

2nd, after a round is finished and cards are being shuffled most often people use last name to break ties (thereby moving up the As and Bs and down the Ys and Zs). The PDGA states that a system has to be used but never says that it must be alphabetical order. Let's mix it up a bit. I know it's not a huge deal but it's very common to have ties for the lead card and as someone who has a last name that starts with V I am almost always bumped off the card and those with As are kept on the card. Getting bumped off isn't that bad but if it happens every single time in the favor of one group and not another group that's unfair. So lets mix it up a bit.

Anyway, food for thought. Let me know what you think.

-Ben

PDGA uses lower PDGA number to rank for tied scores at major events. In Minnesota, we used to look at scorecards in the just completed round starting on hole 18 working backwards to break ties. But then events go too big. Now, it just ends up random when the leader cards are placed in a stack in score order by division before placing them in groups back on the board.

Comment

hmmmmm... this explains a lot. for a while there i thought it was just serendipitous that i was playing with dustin and brian "warchild" lupton all the time.
      May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Zaius View Post
        hmmmmm... this explains a lot. for a while there i thought it was just serendipitous that i was playing with dustin and brian "warchild" lupton all the time.
        Same here. It seems that every tournament I played it I always had Justin Hiatt on my card at some point. At the BSF last year they changed and used PDGA numbers instead - and we were still on the same card (29166 and 29744).

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Same here. It seems that every tournament I played it I always had Justin Hiatt on my card at some point. At the BSF last year they changed and used PDGA numbers instead - and we were still on the same card (29166 and 29744).
          I'd be really pizzzzzed if I had to play with Scott on my card all the time. (mainly cause he whoops me)

Bob

Comment

Huh, must be more of an Oregon thing. I've seen the cards arranged alphabetically, but just as often, if not moreso, I've seen them arranged in the order of registration. In the case of a tied total score after the 1st or 2nd round, I think going with whoever had the hottest round gets priority in the cards.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

I have seen the cards shuffled based on the round scores. If it is the first round ( or an all around tie after that ) and players are tied, the back nine scores are used to determine what card they are on, then the front nine. If that still didn't work, lower PDGA number or first to register...
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by "Over the Hill" Bob View Post
                I'd be really pizzzzzed if I had to play with Scott on my card all the time. (mainly cause he whoops me)

Bob

Training to be a bagger

Comment

I like all of these methods. The Oregon series has traditionally not used most of them. Hopefully that's something we can change. But it's at the TDs discretion.

Oh and I was specifically refering to situations where there was no hot last round to go by. If there is a player with a better last round then by PDGA rules that must be used as a tie breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    Huh, must be more of an Oregon thing. I've seen the cards arranged alphabetically, but just as often, if not moreso, I've seen them arranged in the order of registration. In the case of a tied total score after the 1st or 2nd round, I think going with whoever had the hottest round gets priority in the cards.
                    The bummer IMO with "in order of reg" is 3 or 4 traveling buds could sign up in order and all end up on the same card.
                    Here's an example of how we do it for SOWS and other gigs.

40 pros = 8 holes
                    Take your stack of cards and deal them out one at a time to 8 stacks.
                    This seems to mix them up fairly well.
                    Unless all 3 of the "trip's" are there.
                    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
                    - Anonymous

Comment

The memorial followed a "first registered, first on the card", the 4 champions were honored on the last card, then the first 4 registered got on the card before them and so forth, two deaf guys registered less than an hour after registration opened and both were on the card in front of the 4 champions, talk about attention and presure, but it did reward those who registered first.
                      Ben, stop whining about your last name, pay the $15 and have it changed heh...
                      For Deaf tournaments, it's a little easier, I try to put those who are disc golf buddies on different cards and try to mix it up as much as i can in each division. If I see two on the same card for the first round that could be seperated to spice things up, i will mix it up. Bigger tournaments yeah, can be a issue. For breaking ties, ideas sprout like crazy. one way is to just turn the cards over, shuffle them around, randomly pick and put them on the board in order picked, totally neutral way to do it with no variables deciding the order except luck of the draw...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X