Arfids (RFIDs) -- Borrowing New Technologies To Find Our Lost Discs Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arfids (RFIDs) -- Borrowing New Technologies To Find Our Lost Discs

Originally posted by Ol' Bob View Post
    Will our discs get their RFID chips before the disc golfers do? Actually, a law against chipping discs will serve the market, while chipping golfers will serve the Order.
    Hahah, damn, you're on a tear this morning, Bob. I know you're not a fan of aluminum, but I'm not sure if that stainless steel hat is quite doing the trick. I've always thought that RFID chips in discs would be pretty cool, great way to track down lost ones. Unfortunately, hand held RFID readers still cost several thousand bucks (yeah, I actually researched it one day).
    Last edited by Tim; March 16th, 2009, 02:45 PM. Reason: removed the off topic part
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Cut here to new topic.

---------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    ...hand held RFID readers still cost several thousand bucks...
    A reader wouldn't be necessary. All one would need would be a detector. We could reuse the RFIDs off the products that we tear off and shitcan. I can't imagine a simple detector woud be terribly hard to design and build. Whudayathink?

Just like a frikkin hippie, subverting a potential capital market.

=================

Just tested for any interference with a 2.4GHz phone. Nada. I imagine the RFIDs run higher up in the GHzs.
    Last edited by Ol' Bob; March 16th, 2009, 02:24 PM.
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Hmm...I don't know enough about the technology to know what would go into building one, but I like the idea. I know the Seattle library system uses RFID tags on all their materials, so the tag part of it's gotta be pretty cheap.

Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Mark Roberti, Founder and Editor of RFID Journal

Geeezo! Is that the same guy?

================

Actually, all you need is a windowless van and a black helicopter or two. Remember when Gene Hackman swept Will Smith for chips in Enemy of the State? Maybe the NSA will help us find our lost discs.

================

Just found this: http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/473...ble?from_rss=1
        Last edited by Ol' Bob; March 16th, 2009, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Arfids (RFIDs) -- Borrowing New Technologies To Find Our Lost Discs

Borrowing New Technologies To Find Our Lost Discs (sorry to all you disc manufacturers and sellers).

I'm inviting the topic cops to move the last few posts in And Now a Word From... to here, that we might sort out something many of us have been thinking about for a long time--having a portable detector for finding our discs.

Comment

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/rfid.htm

Comment

I continued clicking links until I found a reference to 2450 MHz. I immediately recognized this as the operating frequency of microwave oven magnetrons. We may be able to begin building an interrogator device using some microwave oven parts, though the power range of an oven's maggy would be quite dangerous, perhaps there are some tank circuits on which to base a less powerful oscillator.

The range for reading completely passive RFID tags is said to be 20 feet. The coded pulsing necessary to send and read a bar code wouldn't be needed, just a 2450 MHz transmitter/receiver to pick up the reply. Our reader could be quite dumb, and therefore, relatively quite inexpensive.

Comment

I continued clicking links until I found a reference to 2450 MHz. I immediately recognized this as the operating frequency of microwave oven magnetrons. We may be able to begin building an interrogator device using some microwave oven parts, though the power range of an oven's maggy would be quite dangerous, perhaps there are some tank circuits on which to base a less powerful oscillator.

The range for reading completely passive RFID tags is said to be 20 feet. The coded pulsing necessary to send and read a bar code wouldn't be needed, just a 2450 MHz transmitter/receiver to pick up the reply. Our reader could be quite dumb, and therefore, relatively quite inexpensive.
                Must be pretty crappy weather up at the Ol' Mud today, eh?

Comment

Is this a BINGO!?!

http://www.hkc.co.th/Product42.asp

Reading this page would indicate the the 2450 MHz reader is for the more expensive battery assisted tags. It looks like is says the completely passive ones are in the UHF range.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Must be pretty crappy weather up at the Ol' Mud today, eh?
                    Ya think?

Comment

http://transpondernews.com/

Comment

Slightly related - my wife is convinced that I could get rich by developing a GPS based disc locating system.

Not sure that I would get rich, but the money I could save on my discs alone......

Comment

Make money on DG, haven't you been paying attention?
                          educate your thinking

Comment

I continued clicking links until I found a reference to 2450 MHz. I immediately recognized this as the operating frequency of microwave oven magnetrons. We may be able to begin building an interrogator device using some microwave oven parts, though the power range of an oven's maggy would be quite dangerous
                            You've seen that hoax video where the people pop popcorn with cell phones? I read that it's done by placing a magnetron below the table. The people in the video survived!
                            Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                            Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                            Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                            Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                            Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Was the table approved for use in a microwave?

The people in the video survived!
                              I wonder if they could still have children.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X