Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not worried about it going off without a hitch... but that is not the same thing as it being the same quality. The BSF has had a festival feel to it the last few years and I would hate to see anything happen to the vibe.

You think Barry Zero will return to his Oakland A's form this year? Or do you think the decrepit Randy Johnson will be the staff ace? I see sophomore blues for Timmy and imagine he will be shelled pretty hard this year. At least you have this moment right now where your team is still tied for first.

We're on for a buck a game again this year, right? Maybe you could bring me a 12 pack of Mirror Pond to the GNWO to compensate me for last year's bet?
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Gary told me that Steve had told him that the BSF is one of the top three tournaments in the world. Not that I think that Flash or Mittl will do anything other than a stellar job with this year's tournament but my concern is the same, nonetheless.

It is up to ALL of us,to volunteer time in 1 way or another to pull this off and to keep the ball rolling for the Worlds bid......

If your playing and your better half is not, then maybe your better half could be a spotter or at the scoring table or be a starter or passing out player packs......

Come out to a work party or 3, then play, the better you know a course the better you will score....

Think about the 1st statement "TOP 3 IN THE WORLD"

The bar is set. The question is can this AREA keep it there??

i will hazard a guess at the other 2......"USDGC" and "Japan Open"......

The Fling will be here b4 we know it.....
      "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Yeah... I was trying to wrap my brain around that statement, wondering which two were better. Maybe he meant USDGC and World's? Or Japan? I really have to ask him when I see him.
        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
          Yeah... I was trying to wrap my brain around that statement, wondering which two were better. Maybe he meant USDGC and World's? Or Japan? I really have to ask him when I see him.
          Knowing Stevie, Id BET he was talking about the VENUE.......MILO.

He wouldnt notice the "Show" unless it was a total Cluster F***

Comment

While I appreciate all that volunteers do for the sport, I don't think it's right to expect everyone to do everything out of altruism. Money isn't the only way of thanking/supporting those who help the sport, but it is the most universally accepted method. That's part of the reason I fully support pay to play courses or try to leave a donation at private ones when I can. It's tough enough to try to wrangle up volunteers to do a couple hours of work on course maintenance, but to depend on peoples' good nature alone to provide quality events, well, that's probably contributed to the less than impressive state that DG is/has been in. It's not unheard of for a TD to actually lose money on a tournament, or having to throw some of their own money into the pool to meet sanctioning requirements.

When I ran TCO last year, I had to front (not donate, don't need confusion here) something to the tune of $1500 for all the supplies needed for the tournament. Not to mention, I and a few dedicated friends spent countless hours on the weekends and weekday afternoons working on the course to prep it, while other, less-dedicated friends got to go out and have fun playing other courses. And of course, there's all that good ol' stress that just grows exponentially leading up to the actual event. In the end, I think I actually lost a bit of money, but I write that off as rookie mistakes (erring on the side of caution with my disc orders). I'm just saying that having gone first hand through the trials and tribulations of TDing, I absolutely support giving back to those that step up to run events. Hell, even "thank yous" are rarer than they should be for most TDs. If someone wants to run a tournament on a purely volunteer basis, then that's awesome and I applaud them for doing that, but expecting or demanding that they do so, well, that just seems selfish.

Oh, just a couple other semi-off topic points, Firefox is awesome, nobody should use IE anymore.

And baseball sucks.
            Last edited by Tim; March 12th, 2009, 12:32 PM. Reason: typo
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Time watching baseball is time wasted not playing Disc Golf...

I am working on my company providing interpreters for the event to add a little communication efficiency to the event since it seems more than 5 Deaf dg'ers will go. Will have JEFF/MIKE work with them... *cross my fingers* Now that will definitely add to the overall show... *if you know how much interpreters cost per hour, you know this is HUGE!*

That being said. Anyone wanna PM me JEFF and MIKE's email addresses? so i dont have to wait till they actually check this?

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                *if you know how much interpreters cost per hour, you know this is HUGE!*
                Check with the local churches, sometimes they have interpreters that Sign the "Services".
                They MIGHT be willing to help out, I have used them in the past with a NorCal event I ran.

Comment

Yeah that is an idea, however I want to use my company since they would include player pack items or at least information on different communication services available etc etc, 2 interpreters have already expressed interest... And my company has highest qualified interpreters, which means less awkward moments in mistranslation etc... I am very sure that it will happen, cuz the lady who deals with this stuff is nearby to my office so i can walk over and etc etc... Its a good opportunity for communication accessibility as well as presenting everyone with information how to communicate in the future etc etc... Thanks for the idea though.. When BSF advertises their event, it's nice to say "top qualified certified interpreters for the Deaf" provided...that will add another bar to be met by other tournaments that Deaf go to...

And it will be easier on Jeff and Mike to work this out...

Comment

OK, I gotta finally chime in...
                    Jub, I still can't figure out why are you so against someone making money running DG tournaments? And as for trasparency, do you demand to look through your employer's books? Doubtful. I can't figure out why some DGer's (you) feel that the running of tournaments should be a non-profit experience for everyone except the few players who win, place, or show. I'm a GD fan, should the concert in George be free since I've been a fan since the early 1970s, and should they have to show me their books to prove they are not making any money, but instead giving away what they could make to the rainbow family for making organic Thai food in the parking lot? More and more your arguments remind me of high school students who stand in front of a microwave complaining because they have to wait for 60 seconds, rather than a man of your years who understands the value of an hour of hard work. Now I've typed this for the last week and never press submit, but I must finally, because I really want to know why DG is different than ANY OTHER endeavor; and I want the Mariners to show me their books because I do believe they're wasting money on Griffey.
                    educate your thinking

Comment

Lets get this straight I am NOT against TD's making money. I am opposed to those who "profess the love" but do it for the money.

Lets call my request an "end of the year" statement. Treat all of us DG like stock holders. cool graphs and stuff mission statements the whole shootin match in one easy to read report about the years events.

Tim I thought you and your team did a hell of a job as cherries.

Maybe the key is to involve newer players to be Assistant TD's get their feet wet and thick skin on and then let em rip. It seems to me that "bob" needs help with BSF. I know their are a lot of golfers out their who have ideas about how things should run try calling bob and asking him for "a couple a bites off his plate".
                      rewindb.com

Comment

Believe me, it's not lack of dollars or discs that burns out disc golf event directors, it's something much less tangible than that...
                        Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                        Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                        Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                        Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                        Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Wait Jub ... "profess the love and make money?" What's the problem making money doing something you love. In fact I encourage kids to find a way to make money doing something they love everyday, doing what I love, teaching, and I do make money doing it. Not a lot mind you, but I'm making my house payment on time. Do you hate your job Jub? Then what we have here is a perfect opportunity for you to move down to Oregon and create and run an Oregon Series of tournaments, so you can make money doing something you love. If your main argument hinges solely on being upset because some folks have found a way to make a little bank doing something they love, and you haven't figured it out, well that sounds like jealousy. Dude, that's not healthy.

Hey folks maybe we have read Jub wrong on transparency; maybe Jub wants to see the books so he can figure out how to make money and love doing it. Then he can move to Oregon and guide us into the Disc Golfing future. If this indeed the case I say let him see the books, learn the ways of the Force and get Oregon DG back on track.
                          educate your thinking

Comment

J I actually work and have worked for myself for over 25 years. As a professional window cleaner I am use to methodical effort. You people can't seem to read my words. When I say..."They say the do it for the love of the game and give it all back sweat, money and time but what they are really doing is making money off of us. In as many places, ways, and means possible.

As far as Ore series goes, I am more inclinde to participate with the larger NW series, picking the plumbs of the best NW Disc golf events to form a true Preimer NW series.
                            rewindb.com

Comment

I KNEW there was a reason our local TDs started looking like this...

It's all of the money they have been making off of us players! BASTARDS!
                              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I'm coming late to this thread, but...
                                I firmly believe that for our sport to grow we need to break with the "it's great because it's cheap" mentality. The reality is that our sport can only grow as far as there are people who get paid to help it grow. When you buy a new disc you are helping to contribute to the INNOVAtion of the gear and helping to sustain a retailer that brings that to the market. When you pay a greens fee, you are saying yes I want this course here. When you pay a tournament fee you are saying yes Mr. or Mrs. TD I want you to run more events for me. A hardy hand shake and a teary thank you can't pay the rent and if we want people to work to build our sport we need to support them finacially. There is not an unlimited supply of state park land... eventually our sport is going to need to privatize. Some out there seem to view that as a worst case scenario. Why? Now, don't get me wrong... I fear the evils of capitalism as much as the next tree hugging pinko public high school educator. But, the future of our sport would be so much brighter if people would stop viewing the comodafication of our sport as sacrilege and started viewing it as what it is... PROGRESS

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X