Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to area..course recommendations please!

Hey guys I am moving to the Portland area from Mississippi in September, and would love to hear some of your favorite courses so I can hit them up! Ones that I can get to from Portland on a weekday afternoon, and even ones I can take
    A Saturday trip to play! What are the most scenic? Thanks!

Lunchtime Urban park in PDX city bounderies - https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=4...(Lunchtime+DGC)

Pier Park Urban park with mature Doug Fir, in PDX city bounderies - https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=4...801+(Pier+Park)

Rockwood Park Urban park, east of PDX - https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=4...(Rockwood+Park)

Vance Park Urban park, east of PDX - https://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=4...46+(Vance+Park)

Blue Lake Park - Semi Senic park east of PDX, gold tee course - https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...52097ab608af45

Greenway Park Urban park, west of PDX

Horning's Hideout 3 Courses on Private park open to the public, West of PDX, worth the drive.

Dabney State Park State Park east of PDX

Milo McIver State Park east of PDX
    Timber Park

Rooster Rock State Park State Park east of PDX
    Benson State Park State Park east of PDX

Champoeg State Park State Park south of PDX
    Cascade Locks
    Ewing Young
    Grand Lodge (Mcenamin's)
    Hagg Lake (Sain Scoggins DGC)
    Herbert Hoover Park
    Hood River
    Lower Columbia (Astoria)
    Orchard Park
    Ski Bowl
    Sorosis Park
    Stub Stewart
    Trojan
    Wennerberg Park
    Wortman Park

Comment

^^ well, that takes care of pretty much all of them... but... some of them suck.

milo mciver is your number one (and then you can play timber afterwards... little bit shorter, easier, and like 15 min away or less).

then blue lake.

horning's hideout has 3 courses... pitch and putt called The Highlands, the course for the masses called The Canyon, and their gold level course, Meadow Ridge, which i'm sort of not allowed to play because last time out i broke myself and ended up in the emergency room (they don't call me "emergency room" hanley for nothing) and it's run by really wonderful people that do a whole lot to support local disc golf.

i like stub stewart because it's out in my neck of the woods (read: total middle of nowhere) and has tight fairways that allows me to compete a little bit with those damn big arm boys, but it's not a course for everybody.

and pier park, right in st. johns, is a wonderful course... but it's like, yahoo central and i can't ever play it as my only days to play are on the weekends and after i get off work and i just don't have as much fun in the midst of the yahoos...

... stub and blue lake are your best bets to avoid the yahoos if you can only play on weekends, too... also meadow ridge, just watch your step out there, yo, it can be dangerous.

obviously, you should play them all, but those are my top 4 that are pretty close to p-town.
      "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
      Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

I don't think really any of the disc golf courses around here suck... they all have their fun if you know how to look for it. Some may be too short for any long drivers, but then you can work on your technical approach game and putting.
        Pier Park in St. Johns(North PDX), Portland Lunchtime in Raleigh Hills(SW PDX), Orchard Park in Hillsboro, Greenway Park in Tigard, and Leverich Park in Vancouver, WA are your best bets close in on weekdays. You just have to plan your travel carefully around traffic.

And the "yahoos" on the weekend are people that are learning to enjoy disc golf just as much as we do.
        Disc golf ruined my life.

Comment

Originally posted by mrDROCK View Post
          I don't think really any of the disc golf courses around here suck... they all have their fun if you know how to look for it. Some may be too short for any long drivers, but then you can work on your technical approach game and putting.
          Pier Park in St. Johns(North PDX), Portland Lunchtime in Raleigh Hills(SW PDX), Orchard Park in Hillsboro, Greenway Park in Tigard, and Leverich Park in Vancouver, WA are your best bets close in on weekdays. You just have to plan your travel carefully around traffic.

And the "yahoos" on the weekend are people that are learning to enjoy disc golf just as much as we do.
          oh, for heaven's sake.

Comment

... I am moving to the Portland area ... get to from Portland on a weekday afternoon ...
            Easy access kind of depends on which area you're living in and the time of day you travel. NE, SW, & SE each have their own "easy access" choices for weekday afternoons.

Jaemes gave a good list; but you might be best served by cruising through the reviews of the courses on disc golf course review.

Try entering zip codes where you're considering living, and playing with the "distance from zip" option. Reviews vary in quality, but overall give you a good indication of the course's good and bad qualities.

Comment

Well damn ain't you in for some culture shock...

First off expect that the courses aren't going to be flat like most of the deep dirty south courses...

You are gonna experience some elevation changes. Big ones. You are gonna see mountains and active volcanoes in the distance...

You will certainly find some courses in the Portland area that you will soon love.

Pack up some okra, some grits, & some spices before you come out, ya here!

Comment

Wow I'm overwhelmed by the swift responses guys thanks so much...yeah a change in terrain will be super nice...Cajun you want me to bring you some boudin and gumbo file? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by mrDROCK View Post

Thank you as I must be one of the yahoos.....

Welcome to PDX, Primitive1! Took me 2 years to acclimate from central Texas. Longer to get over the culture shock. It's growin' on me here. Seems most of the disc golfing crew are good people.

Comment

Emma teaches disc golf, I think by "yahoo" she's talking about people unschooled in courtesy.

Comment

There's also a lot of really great courses all up and down the I-5 corridor (the main North/South highway) through Oregon and Washington. Plus we're starting to have some growth in courses on the coast and in Central Oregon. The Northwest is a great place to be for a road tripping disc golfer.

Edit for specifics: Whistler's Bend and Dexter are both worth a dedicated road trip. Then there's courses like Bryant Park, Hyzer Pines, and SeaTac that are really close to highways and are must plays if you're passing through. Check out dgcoursereview.com before you travel somewhere and you'll find lots of great courses to stop and stretch your legs at.
                      Last edited by KGroff25; July 10th, 2013, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tmk View Post
                        Emma teaches disc golf, I think by "yahoo" she's talking about people unschooled in courtesy.
                        Thanks for havin' my back, yo.

Silverlion: you can't be a yahoo if you pick up garbage the way you do... y'all are much too sensitive.

Comment

whistlers bend roseburg oregon!!!!! world class course

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X