X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy question about disc prices.

Obviously new to the sport. What makes one disc of a certain type worth $65.00 when you can find another disc with the same name stamped on it for $16? I saw one on ebay with 8 bids going for $165.00. Is it a rare collectible? Does it make you an instant pro? Made from alien plastic or unobtanium?

I know people buy a 5 cent baseball card for thousands because of collectibility, so I was wondering if that was the thing with the discs. Pardon my dry humor above. I'm honestly curious.

if its that much, its a collector disc

Comment

That's what I figured. I've seen some charity discs for sale at events for $20 and $30. Those, I understand. In fact, I'd like to get a Breast Cancer disk of some sort as my mom passed away from it 14 years ago. But, yeah. Collectors discs. I get it now. Thanks much.

Comment

Generally, the higher priced discs are Out Of Production (OOP). Even though the current discs have the same name, like Teebird, the manufacturer has changed the plastic blend or the stamp. There are prototypes and first runs that have specific stamps. Innova has sponsored Ken Climo for years, so there are stamps that say Nine times World Champion; he won another so Innova changed it to "ten times", then 11, and finally 12. Well, they won't be making 9, 10, or 11 any longer, so that stamp is OOP.

Sometimes a certain production run produces an effect in the plastic that is deemed collectible because of its appearance or texture (pearly, gummy, chalky, etc.). My favorite is "zipper top" where the top of the disc has circular ridges that sound like a zipper when you run your finger nail across them.

Comment

I see. It would be cool to own a unique disc. I have a few unique items. I treasure them. If I were to sell them(not likely), I would ask a pretty penny. I get it now.

Comment

A unique or rare disc doesn't help your throw, maybe confidence, not mechanics...
            I can understand collecting, but with discs it is a small audience of people who will be interested in paying 100+ for a disc they won't throw...
            educate your thinking

Comment

And I thought an $18 disc was expensive...

Comment

Agreed with tmk. KC Roc throwers are rather particular about their favorite runs. Check out Avery Jenkins run through his bag filled with them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2dY4LRGf2w

People will pay in the $20-50 range for these. However, discs in the $100+ category are collectibles.
                Ethan | Disc Golf of Course.com - because it's disc golf, of course!
                Disc Golf Tips, Tournament News, and Information

Comment

I have some expensive older discs.
                  There were these urethane trees in South America, which happened to be inhabited by a family of Capuchin monkeys.
                  The monkeys would ingest the seeds from the tree, then crap little plastic berries.
                  Local natives harvested the berries and sold them to a major golf disc company.
                  There were 6 discs produced from the monkeyberries in 2002.
                  The monkeys moved on and now only eat bananas.

Only downside to the discs is they're all kinda muddy brown in color.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X