X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday June 2nd at Milo

To the disc golfer from the Oregon professional disc golf community who on last Sunday at Milo did his best to belittle my friend and me for asking where tee 4 was. You rambled on forever about being a professional and part of an exclusive community while pointing out that the state planned 18 hole course was for “people like you” (us) so you’d have no idea how it lays out as you play the professional 27 hole course. While we may not be at the professional status that (you think) you are at, it doesn’t mean we’re not passionate about the game and that we don’t play regularly. I may never have played Milo, but I’ve played in California, Hawaii, Atlanta and Utah and pretty much everything from the Lucky Mud to all 3 Horning’s courses and the locals. Next time how about you actually embrace the notion of community and quickly answer the question like your buddy did when he said: “yeah - it’s right over there” or just not open your mouth at all.

BTW, if you were wondering if that laughing you heard - after you shanked it into the tree 20ft off the box – came from us, and it was directed toward you. Yes, yes indeed it was.

Originally posted by JerryB View Post
    To the disc golfer from the Oregon professional disc golf community who on last Sunday at Milo did his best to belittle my friend and me for asking where tee 4 was. You rambled on forever about being a professional and part of an exclusive community while pointing out that the state planned 18 hole course was for “people like you” (us) so you’d have no idea how it lays out as you play the professional 27 hole course. While we may not be at the professional status that (you think) you are at, it doesn’t mean we’re not passionate about the game and that we don’t play regularly. I may never have played Milo, but I’ve played in California, Hawaii, Atlanta and Utah and pretty much everything from the Lucky Mud to all 3 Horning’s courses and the locals. Next time how about you actually embrace the notion of community and quickly answer the question like your buddy did when he said: “yeah - it’s right over there” or just not open your mouth at all.

BTW, if you were wondering if that laughing you heard - after you shanked it into the tree 20ft off the box – came from us, and it was directed toward you. Yes, yes indeed it was.
    *chortle*

Comment

Jerry,

Forgive them for they know not what they do.

As with any community, we do have our fair share of village-idiots. I just feel bad you happened to run into one of them while visiting our beloved Milo. Had you shown up on Saturday you would have seen us out there spreading bark chips, removing blackberries and scotch-broom, and we would have been happy to help you find your next tee. In other words, your experience would have been a polar opposite of what you experienced.

On behalf of all of the reasonably polite and considerate Portland area disc golfers you have my sincerest apologies.

I only wish we had the name of the moron you ran into... so we could parade him through the town square in his mask of shame.

Jeff Hagerty
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
        Jerry,

As with any community, we do have our fair share of village-idiots. I just feel bad you happened to run into one of them while visiting our beloved Milo. Had you shown up on Saturday you would have seen us out there spreading bark chips, removing blackberries and scotch-broom, and we would have been happy to help you find your next tee. In other words, your experience would have been a polar opposite of what you experienced.

On behalf of all of the reasonably polite and considerate Portland area disc golfers you have my sincerest apologies.

I only wish we had the name of the moron you ran into... so we could parade him through the town square in his mask of shame......HIS NAME WAS.....
        Jeff Hagerty
        FTFY

Comment

Jerry,

I only wish we had the name of the moron you ran into... so we could parade him through the town square in his mask of shame.

Jeff Hagerty
          Thanks Jeff,
          I've had plenty of great experiences with every skill level of player, this guy was certainly an anomaly but had to mention because it was so far over the top. The "people like you" statement followed by shanking the drive was ironic.

Jb

Comment

well... and seriously, what kind of pro was he if he doesn't even understand that it's the 27 hole layout that is for "people like you" and the super secret exclusive society of professional golfers play on an even secreter more exclusiver 36 hole layout called the... shhh... don't tell anyone... Beaver State Fling layout? it's really secret. and exclusive. and i'm sure the layout and maps and stuff can be found all over on the internets...

i wish you'd've run into me... i never would've shanked my drive into a tree after holding court with a chip on my shoulder... the experience would have been MUCH more awesome for everyone involved.
            "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
            Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

This situation reeks of Mittl! Nah, all joking aside, no "real" Pro would treat you like that. Professionalism goes way beyond skill. Let that junk slide away. You're much better off being you than him. I just pity idiots like that.

Comment

Originally posted by columbia gorge discgolf View Post
                This situation reeks of Mittl! Nah, all joking aside, no "real" Pro would treat you like that. Professionalism goes way beyond skill. Let that junk slide away. You're much better off being you than him. I just pity idiots like that.

Comment

Jokes my friend jokes!! Anyways how do you know I'm not talking about another Mittl?

Comment

Jerry,

Jeff Hagerty
                    LIKE. I fully support public floggings.

Comment

I played my first 2 rounds at McIver in a very long time. (now that Blue Lake is 15 minutes from my house I tend to go there when I want to play a long course). I played a solo round both Sunday and Monday. I may have passed you Jerry B (were you one of the 2 guys on hole 1 that let a single player through or were you with (your wife?) on one of the woods holes that you had missed in your original round? Anyway, what happened to you sucks and is not the norm in Oregon disc golf (although sadly, as you found out, will happen sometimes). What I did want to say was that on both days (but particularly today) I was blown away by how nice everybody I met was. I blew through 27 holes in about 2 hours each day and probably passed 10 different groups in the process. Not only did I never have to ask once to play through (because everyone offered) but the brief interactions I had with everyone was incredibly friendly and made a beautiful day at McIver even more enjoyable. The reason I am posting this is to assure you that the individual you met is very much an "exception to the rule" when it comes to disc golfing in Oregon.
                      To those folks I met yesterday and today: thank you for being generous, kind, genuine, funny and complimentary. People like you make disc golfing in Oregon fulfilling beyond the physical sport. And to the guy who was a jackass to JerryB....F*#k you....there is more to being a "pro" than your actual game. (and it sounds like you have neither).

Comment

Originally posted by loki View Post
                        I played my first 2 rounds at McIver in a very long time. (now that Blue Lake is 15 minutes from my house I tend to go there when I want to play a long course). I played a solo round both Sunday and Monday. I may have passed you Jerry B (were you one of the 2 guys on hole 1 that let a single player through or were you with (your wife?) on one of the woods holes that you had missed in your original round? Anyway, what happened to you sucks and is not the norm in Oregon disc golf (although sadly, as you found out, will happen sometimes). What I did want to say was that on both days (but particularly today) I was blown away by how nice everybody I met was. I blew through 27 holes in about 2 hours each day and probably passed 10 different groups in the process. Not only did I never have to ask once to play through (because everyone offered) but the brief interactions I had with everyone was incredibly friendly and made a beautiful day at McIver even more enjoyable. The reason I am posting this is to assure you that the individual you met is very much an "exception to the rule" when it comes to disc golfing in Oregon.
                        To those folks I met yesterday and today: thank you for being generous, kind, genuine, funny and complimentary. People like you make disc golfing in Oregon fulfilling beyond the physical sport. And to the guy who was a jackass to JerryB....F*#k you....there is more to being a "pro" than your actual game. (and it sounds like you have neither).
                        That may have been us who let you go on 1, we did let someone play through - we knew we were in for a long play and wanted to enjoy how awesome and beautiful Milo is. I golf with 5 guys at about the same skill set we are all very aware how cool everyone is out on all of our courses. I just wanted to mention because he is truly the odd man out and maybe he'll see this and rethink his approach (and his drive).

thanks all for the responses - see you out there sometime.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Jerry. I still think you should add the description you shared with me but if you feel good leaving it as-is, cool.

And yes... let's get together and golf soon. Been way too long.
                          “I believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know — Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, that’s in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, I’ll know I’m a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? I’m not sure, but it’s possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.”
                          ~Annika Sörenstam

Comment

Did the guy do a 360?

uh...oh
                            Team DISCRAFT
                            NW Sign Up
                            Gorilla Boy
                            Paragon Disc Golf
                            Odwalla

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                              Thanks for posting this, Jerry. I still think you should add the description you shared with me but if you feel good leaving it as-is, cool.

And yes... let's get together and golf soon. Been way too long.
                              Brody Cannon?? REALLY!?!?
                              Don't knock it until you rock it!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X