X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Up/ Sponsors

After a 4 year break since I've been serious about playing competitive disc golf, I'm back in it. With that said, I think I've proven myself as a good amateur golfer.

Now, I need some help and advice. I'm ready to take my game to the next level. After the next ratings update, I will likely be forced to play Open.

What is the best way for me to attract the attention of sponsors? Should I continue to play Advanced and finish at the top (at least until I'm forced to move up), or should I step up to Open and see if I can hold my own?

Also, what is the best way to approach potential sponsors?
    Brody Cannon
    PDGA #34008

Don't sell your self short. You shot all 1000+ rated rounds, won by 7 strokes, with a score that would have taken 2nd in Open. It is safe for you to move up.
    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Haha yes, I obviously would've liked to walk away with a check for a few hundred bucks rather than a measly $75 of script... But I'm more concerned with how sponsors will view my performance. Will I be noticed more as a decent pro or a great amateur?
      Brody Cannon
      PDGA #34008

Comment

Douche.
        Don't knock it until you rock it!

Comment

Originally posted by Str8MaxW8 View Post
          Douche.
          Umm, personal attack?
          How so? Because I'm inquiring about how to become more successful in competitive disc golf? Or because I work my ass off to be a better player than you?
          Brody Cannon
          PDGA #34008

Comment

Originally posted by TheCannon View Post
            Now, I need some help and advice. I'm ready to take my game to the next level. After the next ratings update, I will likely be forced to play Open.

What is the best way for me to attract the attention of sponsors? Should I continue to play Advanced and finish at the top (at least until I'm forced to move up), or should I step up to Open and see if I can hold my own?

Also, what is the best way to approach potential sponsors?

Haha yes, I obviously would've liked to walk away with a check for a few hundred bucks rather than a measly $75 of script... But I'm more concerned with how sponsors will view my performance. Will I be noticed more as a decent pro or a great amateur?
            Since you posted your questions on a public message board you might receive many different opinions on this subject but ultimately deciding what division to play it is totally up to you. How you view your motivations for playing a game should tell you how to sign up for your next tournament.

First, nothing can force you to play Professional disc golf, that's a personal decision.

With that said I'll throw out some opinion. Describing your winnings as an amateur players as "measly" leads me to believe that the amount of earnings you receive is quite important to you. This is not an attitude a true amateur should have.

As far as sponsors noticing you: Winning will get you noticed. Being a good person and a steward of disc golf is good too but winning seems to be more important. Winning the USADGC or Amateur Worlds would probably get your foot in the door. As a professional you will get noticed if you win the majority of the tournaments that you enter and have the ability and willingness to travel to large tournaments.

Good Luck

PS Its important to use tact when posting how good you think you are. Some people might think you are gloating or fishing for compliments. Peace.

Comment

Str8MaxW8 is obviously envious and a hater. Folks like these will always be around and will only bring fame to your game cannon. Keep up the great shooting!!

Comment

Play well and win at pro and you will see sponsorships. If you are looking for sponsorships before you move up and win it might be a while.

I do think with your round ratings and scores for the RCO you are more than ready to step up.
                "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

Originally posted by InfamousButcher View Post
                  Str8MaxW8 is obviously envious and a hater. Folks like these will always be around and will only bring fame to your game cannon. Keep up the great shooting!!
                  Yes, I'm a hater. A hater of self-gloss.

Mr.Cannon had three great rounds this weekend at the RCO. Been there. Done that. Obviously not envious.

Mr. Cannon, you asked what you'll look like, and douche was what came to mind. As Mr. Anderson pointed out, you never HAVE to play open, you said "measly" in regards to a very well ran tournament, and your "look at me, I won a tourney" attitude is pretty douche-baggish.

Nothing will take away your play this past weekend. Hot shooting for sure. Be humble, and you'll be "noticed" in a better way, Douche.
                  Don't knock it until you rock it!

Comment

I'm at work, so you will have to wait for a full response to your comments.
                    All I have to say is that I never said anything about winning this weekend. I didn't say anything about the tournament.

Also, everyone, I should mention that when I say "sponsors", I just mean local sponsors. I know that if I want anything big, I will have to be a top pro. But for now, I'm just looking for some support for local tournaments. As a student with a handful of bills to pay, it's tough for me to afford traveling and playing tournaments.
                    Brody Cannon
                    PDGA #34008

Comment

I know you as a real nice guy and an excellent disc golfer. Uh-oh, I niced you.

I think winning a national amateur tournament should be your next goal.

As far as sponsors: Just win baby, they will come.

Comment

It's been my opinion and experience that "professionals" need to approach the expectations of sponsorship and everything that goes with the "Pro" moniker (disc golf, basketball, football, hockey) as a business.
                        In business, when you get your first loan or your 5000th (and yes, this early in the business, it really is a loan), having your business plan clearly worded on paper with realistic goals and expectations and the numbers to back up those goals (in this case, shooting 3 rounds over 1000 should be a good start, but won't be enough to get many interested. More Like 30 rounds over 1000 will show more consistency). Showing your progress from am to where you want to be in 3,5,& 10 years is the first step.

Sponsorship's don't just happen, you need to approach your prospects with laser like focus (much the way you approach a difficult up shot or birdie putt). Don't just hope for "something" to happen, look for likely candidates and find out all you can about their business and show how you could be an advantage to them (advertising, product placement, etc) that will further their business plan. Professional athletes don't just get the contracts handed to them, hey have someone working full time on their behalf to promote the "brand" to people who will bring the money (don't think this is for anything else. That's what professionals are, people who work for the money they get). You will have to be your own promoter, agent, and coffee runner. People high up in disc golf (Feldberg, Locastro (who looks like a nascar racer with all the sponsors on his shirts), McCabe, etc.) all have to do their own promotion. Feldberg and Locastro were here in Spokane for the LCO doing a clinic the night before the tourney. Last year, Feldberg and Climo did the same thing and Feldberg sold "Innova airforce" discs after the event. Blake Griffin dunked over a Kia, now he is hawking them in commercials. This goes for Local as well as (when you're a Top Pro) Corporate sponsors. Make this your Job (2nd or 3rd, semi-pro football players still have to work to live most of the time), to be able to do something you love (it sounds like you really do love the sport) it is just as much work as any other job, you just love what you do rather than love to go home when you're done.

Lastly, Win. Nothing will get your name in front of people that make the decisions faster than being on top. With 3 rounds and a final 9 (10,13,whatever it takes to win the tourney) with everyone watching what you do those final holes, it is easy to see why you would be a safe bet to have their name on your shirt (Locastro). Placing in top 3 or winning Am Worlds, or another big Am tourney will help with the convincing more than all the talking you can do in front of the "Bosses." It tells them that you are able to handle the pressure of others watching. You won't botch a mid-distance putt because someone coughed or started taking pictures. It tells them you can handle the pressure and will be in the final round, keeping their name in front of as many people as possible.

Again, This is my opinion. Professional sports isn't a game any more, it is a business. Think of Disc Golf as small business (like Apple in the late 70's and early 80's). They promoted themselves and believed in something that no one had a vision for except Steve Jobs (even Woz didn't have the vision of the future like Jobs). Goals on paper, Plan written well, Work hard. I hope this helps.

Good luck. We need more players willing to ask these kinds of questions. The debate between Big business or Grass Roots movement will still rage on, but if we want to see disc golf expand like ball golf or other "fringe-gone-mainstream" sports (motocross, snow boarding, freestyle skiing, etc) we need people willing to get the word out to places no one thought to look. Just my 2cents worth.

BenT
                        Last edited by bstullis; May 27th, 2013, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Brody, I don't know you, or anything about you, but as a guy who has been paying my dues for years in open and pushed my rating up to 1010 right now, I can tell you before you worry about picking up sponsors (which generally mean nothing but a few free shirts and other little products) you may want to jump to open and see how you do. It won't be easy, because no matter how much you are practicing, everyone else in that field is now too. To me, sponsorships should be earned not asked for, show everyone how good you are, dont tell everyone how good you are. A lot of guys have made the jump thinking they are really good, then realized its a different game when you step up with Nate, Dion, Brody and the other top guys in the state.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide, but you know on your own when your time is to move up.

Scott Withers

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                            With that said I'll throw out some opinion. Describing your winnings as an amateur players as "measly" leads me to believe that the amount of earnings you receive is quite important to you. This is not an attitude a true amateur should have.
                            The reason I described it that way is because of a couple things.
                            First, I have no need for script/ more discs. I very rarely find something new that I keep in my bag, so buying new discs is usually a waste of money for me.
                            Second, I usually work a lot on the weekend. With that said, taking the weekends off for tournaments is expensive for me. At least if I was winning some cash back, I could justify my tournament play. Don't take that the wrong way though. I don't play the sport for money, I play it because I love it.

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                            As far as sponsors noticing you: Winning will get you noticed. Being a good person and a steward of disc golf is good too but winning seems to be more important. Winning the USADGC or Amateur Worlds would probably get your foot in the door. As a professional you will get noticed if you win the majority of the tournaments that you enter and have the ability and willingness to travel to large tournaments.
                            I try my best to be a gentleman on the course. Over this past weekend during the RCO, I really focused on my mental game. I didn't let myself get too frustrated (there was a lot to be frustrated about. I missed 12 putts inside the circle during the weekend). Also, I tried to keep a positive overall attitude on the card by offering words of encouragement, etc.

As far as playing tournaments like that, I would need some sort of base level support, as I can't afford to travel like that. I like the idea of playing those tournaments and gaining the opportunity to catch the attention of major sponsors, but for now, I just want some local sponsors that can help me out with entry fees, etc.

It was nice to meet you this weekend, sir. Thank you for your advice and input.
                            Brody Cannon
                            PDGA #34008

Comment

Originally posted by Str8MaxW8 View Post
                              Yes, I'm a hater. A hater of self-gloss.

Mr.Cannon had three great rounds this weekend at the RCO. Been there. Done that. Obviously not envious.

Mr. Cannon, you asked what you'll look like, and douche was what came to mind. As Mr. Anderson pointed out, you never HAVE to play open, you said "measly" in regards to a very well ran tournament, and your "look at me, I won a tourney" attitude is pretty douche-baggish.

Nothing will take away your play this past weekend. Hot shooting for sure. Be humble, and you'll be "noticed" in a better way, Douche.
                              Okay, on to you now. Once again, I will mention that I said nothing about the RCO. I don't see how you could call me out for something I haven't done. I wouldn't have intentions of that attitude, anyway.
                              I don't know you, Michael. And I think it's pretty clear that you don't know me.
                              I played a lot in 2009, when I was 17 years old. During that year, I got my game to the point where I was ready to start playing on a more competitive, and potentially professional level. However, I was wrapped up with school all year, and the following summer, I decided that college was more important in the long run (instead of touring). Since then, I've been busy and I've been trying to become an adult by working hard and paying bills. I haven't had the time or money to play tournaments. Now, however, I feel like I am at the point again where I can find the time and maybe a little extra money to play more tournaments. Also, I feel like my game is better than it has ever been (most likely from a matured mental game).
                              I'm still young and in my prime, and I believe that now is the best time for me to look towards taking my game to the level. I created this forum to ask for help and advice; nothing more. Please take your negative attitude elsewhere.
                              Brody Cannon
                              PDGA #34008

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X