X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
    I don't know about everybody else, but I think this thread has just about run it's course. Unless you feel the need to do any more name calling, I'm thinking we can shut this one down?
    get rid of it now, mr. b... i tried to be nice and give good, friendly advice and i think i STILL got slapped in the face... get rid of it!
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by TheCannon View Post
      It's no wonder I had no idea who Michael Grummert was.. He's obviously not a well respected guy in the community.
      I would like to take this opportunity to thank Grummert for raising $1300 for North Bonneville DGC!!! I will put this money to use next month when I start pouring tee signs. Much respect Grummert!! I appreciate the work you put in on a course that I have been working on for years.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCannon View Post
        However, I was wrapped up with school all year, and the following summer, I decided that college was more important in the long run (instead of touring).
        Wow...what a thread. I knew it crossed the line when my friends Jordan, Mr. Anderson, and Emma got attacked. Damn the people that attack good people who do great things to this sport.

Cannon, in my opinion the best thing you said is quoted here. Focus on college. Get your degree and get a good job. When that happens, you won't be asking about a sponsor because hopefully you can afford to travel and play in all the tournaments you can get away to. On the other hand, college may not be for everyone. Regardless, finding a career or good job will allow you to do all the disc golf you want.

Peace out all my friends!
        Brian (sponsored by Smirnoff and Mr. & Mrs. T's bloody mary mix)
        Last edited by LakeStevensBA; May 29th, 2013, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I'm not taking sides or wanting to socially engineer anything. Personally I had a probably common reaction to the OP and some of the subsequent replies. Just seems like the topic has been discussed and all that's left is going to be of little use to anyone.

Comment

pro-schmo, am-schmam

BC,

I would suggest that you take a close look at the next 3-5 years of your life (and beyond).
            -school
            -job
            -girlfriend/wife
            -kids
            -car

Ask yourself what kind of player you want to be.
            -winter series pro
            -local event pro
            -A|B tier event pro
            -NT pro
            -cash or donate pro
            -kick ass am (a.k.a bagger)

Natural ability contributes a lot to the quality of your game. However, repetition, focus, and mental maturity are a few other key attributes to success as a professional athlete. This requires time, patience, and dedication.

Personally, I would not worry about sponsors until you have enough cred to come to the table (1 or 2 successful seasons as an open player). I'm not sure you really know how your sponsor might benefit from you? Seems like you're looking for a free lunch? However, I wish you luck if you decide to solicit sponsorship at this time.

Based solely on your recent performance at the 2013 RCO, I would say MTFU!
            Like others have mentioned, If your results are sound, the sponsorship will fall into place.

#2cents

Comment

A great way to get a sponsor is to create a resume of all your accomplishments. Take them to perspective sponsors. Talk to them about a graduated performance bonus. So If you place top 5 vs. top 3 vs. winning. If you got 5 sponsors that paid you $20 for each win you would be doing well for yourself. I believe you can play open and still accept script to keep your am status if that's something you'd like to protect for the chance to win a Major. I think being a good guy and asking for sponsors are the two things people should do to get sponsors. I had a friend that got several sponsors from sending out disc golf resumes. I believe he sent out 3 and picked up two sponsors. Practice like it's a tournament and play tournaments like they are practice. Playing open is only a big deal if you think it is. You have the same hole to play as before. Any increased expectations for performance are not going to help. Play your game no matter what. Know your strengths and play towards them. Know your weaknesses and make them your strengths. Find literature on improving your mental game. Keep your eyes open and remain humble. You never know where you will learn something.
              Relax and enjoy your hair
              TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                get rid of it now, mr. b... i tried to be nice and give good, friendly advice and i think i STILL got slapped in the face... get rid of it!
                I just have a few more things to comment on in this thread.
                Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                I suspect we will be seeing a lot more tourneys adding more "stuff" to players packs and that "stuff" definitely comes at the expense of amateur payout at the end of the day. Sure, the people who are set on winning stacks of plastic might be bummed, but I like the fact that everyone (not just the winners) come away with a good experience and some good tourney swag. For instance... ALL amateur men at the RCO got a Huk Lab RCO shirt, a Huk Lab RCO hat, a premium disc, a mini and some other misc stuff. When you add the value of the players pack to the value of the scrip then things start looking a lot better.
                I think I can get behind this movement. And I was very happy to scrip at this tourney regardless of its monetary value. I got to play a PDGA tourney at one of my favorite local courses. That kicks ass.

Originally posted by columbia gorge discgolf View Post
                I would like to take this opportunity to thank Grummert for raising $1300 for North Bonneville DGC!!!
                I'd like to second this thanks as well. Anyone who can raise money to help improve our local disc golf courses can survive my calling him a douche. Thank you very much for this contribution, I love playing N Bonne.

Originally posted by bryan_luoma View Post
                Ask yourself what kind of player you want to be.
                -winter series pro
                -local event pro
                -A|B tier event pro
                -NT pro
                -cash or donate pro
                -kick ass am (a.k.a bagger)
                -old fat guy still havin fun playin disc golf
                Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                Or does here stand the last remaining man
                To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                I’ll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

You are a good egg Jordan.

Comment

Originally posted by columbia gorge discgolf View Post
                    You are a good egg Jordan.
                    Great egg!
                    Don't knock it until you rock it!

Comment

...I like turdtles

[.

Cannon, in my opinion the best thing you said is quoted here. Focus on college. Get your degree and get a good job. When that happens, you won't be asking about a sponsor because hopefully you can afford to travel and play in all the tournaments you can get away to. On the other hand, college may not be for everyone. Regardless, finding a career or good job will allow you to do all the disc golf you want.

Peace out all my friends!
                      Brian (sponsored by Smirnoff and Mr. & Mrs. T's bloody mary mix)[/QUOTE]

WARNING!!!! do not listen to this jackass, college! really? Go for it man, quit school right now!!! Move into Moms and promise you will take out the trash and clean your room. She will sponsor you man. Dude told me his mom drives him to all the big acepots.Oh to be young again.
                      Its easy for BA to give disc career advice, he lives in a mansion on a hill that his wife bought. He plays every day and still cant beat me. Hes sponsored by the neighborhood watch and the makers of those little drink umbrellas.
                      dont get me started on Mr. Anderson. Sure hes really good and seems cool enough but did you know hes from Fargo? Ya, thats in Maine or something over there. He went to college and look at him now, beautiful wife and child,new house, popular with lots of friends........loser!
                      Did Kurt Cobain go to college? No, and look how he turned out. Okay bad example but you get whatever point I was trying to make.
                      Truly good advice on this thread.It sounds like you have the desire to challenge yourself so moving up is a no brainer. Sponsorship will come to you if earned but part of stepping up is how you handle being humbled. Winning is relatively easy, So im told. Losing is the challenge, no matter how much you practice it. just golf and enjoy the company.............BAAAALLLLLLLSSS....

Comment

I knew it was time for me to move up when I would play not so good and still get top 4 in Advanced.. After I had won 4 advanced tourneys in 3 states including the celebration that paid me $260 in plastic.. Which would have kept me an am if all tourneys were that way.
                        Relax and enjoy your hair
                        TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

I wrote a long description of how to gain sponsors… Then I forgot why I was writing it… Why did I forget? Because “Great Ams” are forgettable.

Not a good mix for branding or sponsorship. You are better off not winning much as a PRO but being a memorable brand… ie AJ.

You wanna win sponsors? Attract eyeballs!

Comment

Sponsor yourself, at least that's what I did. Keep that rating up and get into the bigger tournaments. That's where you have a better chance of rubbing elbows with the people that either know of potential sponsors, or actually looking for potential players to sponsor. YOU have to show that YOU are that person that is worth the time and money.

BE positive, ALL THE TIME ;-)

^^ Most of the sponsored players that I have been able to play with over the years show this quality more than the others. its called personality, have a good one.

Never complain about you winnings, EVER. This will show douchebaggery and negativity ;-(
                            If you don't like what you got, sell it to help pay for the next tourney, OR donate it in the name of your sponsor to upcoming players.
                            Hukin since 1992
                            DGOD #115

Comment

You got the name

I didn't understand all the negativity on here but we shall digress. Dude I would move up right away and get used to being in open. You have the talent but more importantly you got a very marketable name. Seriously I think your name would give you a leg up on getting a sponsor considering other players of the same skill level. Go for it!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X