X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tmk View Post
    I know you as a real nice guy and an excellent disc golfer. Uh-oh, I niced you.

I think winning a national amateur tournament should be your next goal.

As far as sponsors: Just win baby, they will come.
    Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad someone out there perceives me as the guy I aspire to portray.
    A national tournament would be great. We will see what the summer brings. I intend on playing a handful of tournaments. Can't wait!
    Brody Cannon
    PDGA #34008

Comment

Originally posted by bstullis View Post

Good luck. We need more players willing to ask these kinds of questions. The debate between Big business or Grass Roots movement will still rage on, but if we want to see disc golf expand like ball golf or other "fringe-gone-mainstream" sports (motocross, snow boarding, freestyle skiing, etc) we need people willing to get the word out to places no one thought to look. Just my 2cents worth.

BenT
      Thank you for taking the time for your response! Very interesting, and accurate, perspective. When/if I get my game to the point that playing professionally is an option, I will look back on this and use your advice.
      Brody Cannon
      PDGA #34008

Comment

Originally posted by scottycb1 View Post
        Brody, I don't know you, or anything about you, but as a guy who has been paying my dues for years in open and pushed my rating up to 1010 right now, I can tell you before you worry about picking up sponsors (which generally mean nothing but a few free shirts and other little products) you may want to jump to open and see how you do. It won't be easy, because no matter how much you are practicing, everyone else in that field is now too. To me, sponsorships should be earned not asked for, show everyone how good you are, dont tell everyone how good you are. A lot of guys have made the jump thinking they are really good, then realized its a different game when you step up with Nate, Dion, Brody and the other top guys in the state.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide, but you know on your own when your time is to move up.

Scott Withers
        Thanks Scott. I have always been afraid of the jump to the next level. I have a lot of room for improvement, and that is clear. I intend to continue working on the weak points of my game, and hopefully it will pay off. One of the things I learned this weekend is that I lack tournament experience. Hopefully that will change this summer. I look forward to running into you on a lead card someday.
        Brody Cannon
        PDGA #34008

Comment

looks like there are two things going on in this thread:

you had a great weekend at the RCO. you're proud of your accomplishment, and curious about getting to the next level and how to get some sponsorships. this is all fine and dandy. congratulations.

you came on this public forum and described scrip as 'measly', and referred to yourself as possibly either an average pro or a 'great' amateur. this comes across- intentionally on your part, or not- as cocky, self-glossing, and a little douchy. i don't think str8maxw8 is the only one who got that impression.

if you were talking, privately, with some pros after a tourney, and asked them about moving up and sponsorship and threw in the 'measly' and 'great' comments, that would be one thing. but when you're on a public forum, you're just asking for trouble. tact and humility go a long way. then, firing back at str8maxw8 as 'taking it the wrong way' isn't cool, either.

you had a great weekend. don't forget- everyone gets hot. consistency is the key. kick some *ss in five more tourneys, don't brag and fish for compliments, be humble and cool (i.e. skellenger), and maybe you'll get some sponsorships.
          Last edited by seanb; May 28th, 2013, 09:19 AM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

Originally posted by TheCannon View Post
            After a 4 year break since I've been serious about playing competitive disc golf, I'm back in it. With that said, I think I've proven myself as a good amateur golfer.

Now, I need some help and advice. I'm ready to take my game to the next level. After the next ratings update, I will likely be forced to play Open.

What is the best way for me to attract the attention of sponsors? Should I continue to play Advanced and finish at the top (at least until I'm forced to move up), or should I step up to Open and see if I can hold my own?

Also, what is the best way to approach potential sponsors?
            Just because you "go pro" does not mean you need to take cash!!!!

Pick "your best chance at the most cash"
            till then scrip out
            rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheCannon View Post
              The reason I described it that way is because of a couple things.
              First, I have no need for script/ more discs. I very rarely find something new that I keep in my bag, so buying new discs is usually a waste of money for me.
              Second, I usually work a lot on the weekend. With that said, taking the weekends off for tournaments is expensive for me. At least if I was winning some cash back, I could justify my tournament play. Don't take that the wrong way though. I don't play the sport for money, I play it because I love it.
              IMO
              A true amateur should not expect to gain financially when playing the sport they love. When signing up as an amateur you are essentially agreeing to play in the tournament for the experience and not for the chance to win other player's entry fee. I know I am sounding like an idealist but whenever an amateur receives a prize for playing a sport they would play for free (or for the cost of entry) they should be grateful. Describing what you won as an amateur as "measly" is an insult to everyone in your field that received less than you. I have no idea what you did with your scrip, maybe you donated back to the club or bought discs for new players. I hope you did, if the scrip was something you could live without.

The way the PDGA has set the criteria for amateur and professional disc golfers has created a big gray area for players who are not honest about their motivations. The current system allows players to take advantage of true amateurs. I think that the "trophy only" (2013 AM Worlds) tournament is helping to curb these actions.

TBH right now there is not enough money in the game to call most professional disc golfers "professional". Yes there are 20-30 players (maybe) that make disc golf their summer job, but it's hard to say that it is a good living and most of the time they are doing well if they break even. I believe the majority of tournament players are neither amateur or professional, we are semi-pro.

Rambling Over

Comment

Originally posted by seanb View Post
                looks like there are two things going on in this thread:

you had a great weekend at the RCO. you're proud of your accomplishment, and curious about getting to the next level and how to get some sponsorships. this is all fine and dandy. congratulations.

you came on this public forum and described scrip as 'measly', and referred to yourself as possibly either an average pro or a 'great' amateur. this comes across- intentionally on your part, or not- as cocky, self-glossing, and a little douchy. i don't think str8maxw8 is the only one who got that impression.

if you were talking, privately, with some pros after a tourney, and asked them about moving up and sponsorship and threw in the 'measly' and 'great' comments, that would be one thing. but when you're on a public forum, you're just asking for trouble. tact and humility go a long way. then, firing back at str8maxw8 as 'taking it the wrong way' isn't cool, either.

you had a great weekend. don't forget- everyone get's hot. consistency is the key. kick some *ss in five more tourneys, don't brag and fish for compliments, be humble and cool (i.e. skellenger), and maybe you'll get some sponsorships.
                ^^^ This is solid advice. ONE good weekend does not make someone a pro.

Normally, I would tell someone in your position to continue playing am for a little while longer, just so you can get more rated rounds and more experience playing on the top card etc... However, If you really don't care about the plastic then, by all means, skip amateur and play pro for a while and see where you stand.

Bear in mind your rating will probably jump in the next update, but with only 11 rated rounds it will still be far from accurate. Ratings tend to be inaccurate until you get around 20 rated rounds in.

Lastly, whether it was accidental or not... arrogance is ugly. Try a little humility and you'll get a hell of a lot more respect from people.
                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I wish you guys would stop focusing on the Rose City Open! Yes, it was a great tournament for me. Yes, I played really well. But this thread is something I've had on my mind for a long time. I've been on the cusp of stepping up to Open for a long time, and I'm just looking for advice. I'm in no way trying to boast about my skill level or about the rounds I played this past weekend. Please don't take it that way.

And once again, back to the "measly" comment. Yes, I shouldn't have said that. It does sound bad. I guess I was just hoping for a little more in winnings, because I have been dreaming about buying a good practice basket.
                  Brody Cannon
                  PDGA #34008

Comment

Brody to be plain and simple that's how the am world is ur never gonna win more than $75 script in ANY!!! tourney maybe a lil more in the BSF but that's just something you'll have to accept as an AM, I believe u win $150 script at the NAAC dont quote me, you can save ur script and get a basket eventually but as for moving up try and win a couple more tourneys I'd say the hardest is ORDGC try you luck there but once again your only going to win $80 so don't be upset when it happens

Great job this weekend I guess those months of practice did pay off

Comment

Sounds like somebody is taking their talents to South Beach...
                      ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                      ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

here's my advice: 1. don't ask about stuff like this on the forum... you will get some good advice and you will get called all kinds of names... sponsorships are a touchy subject. they incite jealousy and happiness and all kinds of emotions... whether we truly admit to them or not... i am not ashamed of my sponsorships, i am not ashamed of what they give me, what they do for me and the fact that i had to ask for them... i couldn't play tournaments without them. 2. go ask for some sponsorships. google "how to get a sponsorship" and then get yourself together, pick your chin up and go ask! 3. don't call the RCO measly... but i think i know where you coming from... you were not actually referring to the tournament but to your play in it... it was one measly good performance, right?

i didn't read everyone's advice to you, i don't really know you, i wasn't at the RCO... so if i had no business posting this, then oops, but those are my thoughts.

and i, personally, would like to thank my sponsors, Tofurky (try their chorizo with sweet potatos and corn tortillas! it's delicious in spite of being vegan!) and Next Adventure (they've got some sweeeeeeet salomons in stock right now) for all they do for me.
                        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Well said emma

Comment

I wish people would read my posts before they comment on this. I'm sorry that I didn't realize AM payouts weren't as good as I had hoped.
                            And just to be clear, I definitely did NOT call the tournament "measly"! The tournament was great! Dan, and everyone that helped, did a GREAT job.
                            Brody Cannon
                            PDGA #34008

Comment

Brody,

I suspect we will be seeing a lot more tourneys adding more "stuff" to players packs and that "stuff" definitely comes at the expense of amateur payout at the end of the day. Sure, the people who are set on winning stacks of plastic might be bummed, but I like the fact that everyone (not just the winners) come away with a good experience and some good tourney swag. For instance... ALL amateur men at the RCO got a Huk Lab RCO shirt, a Huk Lab RCO hat, a premium disc, a mini and some other misc stuff. When you add the value of the players pack to the value of the scrip then things start looking a lot better.

With that said... don't sweat this stuff. Stay humble, soak up your well-earned victory and just keep working at your game. Everything else will fall into place.
                              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                                Brody,

I suspect we will be seeing a lot more tourneys adding more "stuff" to players packs and that "stuff" definitely comes at the expense of amateur payout at the end of the day. Sure, the people who are set on winning stacks of plastic might be bummed, but I like the fact that everyone (not just the winners) come away with a good experience and some good tourney swag. For instance... ALL amateur men at the RCO got a Huk Lab RCO shirt, a Huk Lab RCO hat, a premium disc, a mini and some other misc stuff. When you add the value of the players pack to the value of the scrip then things start looking a lot better.

With that said... don't sweat this stuff. Stay humble, soak up your well-earned victory and just keep working at your game. Everything else will fall into place.
                                Yeah, you make a good point.
                                Brody Cannon
                                PDGA #34008

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X