X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RonTheWhip
    started a poll Willamette Open XV - True Am?

Willamette Open XV - True Am?

YES: Its not about prizes for me, and I still get some sweet discs and a rad special item!
    45.61%
    NO: I came to win - and that means lots of plastic to me!
    15.79%
    INDIFFERENT: I would play either way, come on, this is the Willamette Open we are talking about!
    26.32%
    OTHER: I would need more information before I decide.
    12.28%
    View more answers
    View less answers
    Hey Guys

Looking for feedback - would anyone be opposed to the idea of running the Willamette Open as a True Am style event? Meaning, all the amateurs in the competition would receive loaded players packs and would be competing for trophies as prizes, not discs or scrip or payout.

Let me know what you guys think,
    Thanks,
    Dion

• bryan_luoma
    replied
    zuglass baskets and kinder mugs are 3x3ll3nt trophies!

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca
    replied
    I love the idea of trophy only...

hopefully my back will be healed enough to play...

Leave a comment:

• Mcw5378
    replied
    How about etched beer mugs!?
    Something we can use while we tell,(read as lie to), others of our greatness upon the DG course!! ;-)

Leave a comment:

• ChainBanger
    replied
    I want an engraved cheez grater! My kind of trophy.

Leave a comment:

• WestsoundBT
    replied
    This thread is drifting towards an area I've thought a lot about.

Stuff for prizing. Soooo tough of a culture. having receipients "value" the prize (or gift as a pp is) is such a moving target. What I wanted yesterday is not what I want today. It's short sleeve, but I really wanted a hoodie. I already have that cheese grater... thus...value=0 . whew.

I believe plastic gets used so much, not only because of the obvious manufacturer driven factors, but because it is the one thing all disc golfers have in common - disc golf. Even in disc golf as the lone common denominator, many other products become hassle-some for event directors since they now have to deal with sizes. How many mediums, larges, XXXLs do I order and stock and haul around? Shirts, apparel, socks, whatever...

That being said, I'm with EnigmaSquad and Yardbird (of course I am) with being a proponent of more true AM trophy events with low value-driven entry costs. (and by trophy I mean "recognition") I'm drawing up a proposal for one now. Make your big events big, and your small events easy!

However, I looked at Vibrams Birdie bash (and now DD's two disc perhaps) as genious in utilizing online selection tools for player "gifts" No overages, no risk for event directors. Self determination by players. Fantastic - but only possible by technology and manufacturer driven scale of products. And it should be noted that Ace Race, Birdie B, DD's event are outright product placement vehicles (and good for them - thank you, love 'em)

So... How about events utilizing online "player gift" selections more and more often as time moves forward? Yupp, that means earlier sign up cutoff deadlines for getting inventory to support the orders, etc, etc. Select a shirt, or not. "Opt in" for the towel, water bottle,poster, etc.

Leave a comment:

• RonTheWhip
    replied
    How about practical trophies? I have a few ideas...least of all an engraved cheese grater.

Leave a comment:

• Mike G
    replied
    Trophies

Trophies are a waste of money. And then the poor recipient has to rearrange their living room for the trophy case---or maybe even build a special wing to display them. But truly--they have no practical use.

Leave a comment:

• JR Stengele
    replied
    ^ I like it.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Anderson
    replied
    Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
    Then you DEFINITELY DO NOT qualify to play in the MA1 division!!!!!

This probably would not be a popular idea but your post got me thinking.

It would prevent a lot of "sand bagging" if the PDGA required a player to be current member to play in any division other than Open. Or it could be the TDs discretion as to what division you get to play in. If the TD does not know the player or how well they play the default would be Open. It would be very helpful in a rating based tournaments too. Another benefit of being a PDGA member?

Just throwing out a hypothetical. Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Fingers
    replied
    Really? THAT'S your question?

Originally posted by E Smith View Post
    Ya but what if you don't have a PDGA rating?
    Then you DEFINITELY DO NOT qualify to play in the MA1 division!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• seanb
    replied
    Originally posted by Wes Hansen View Post
    Pros, by definition, play to be compensated for their effort. Amateurs play for the joy of playing.

Any Ams that are playing for more than a trophy and the limited glory are in the wrong division.

Reasonable entry fees (lower than most tourneys run these days), trophies and a not-crappy player pack is the right direction to head.

Go Dion!

thread drift....

Pro vs. AM is not really about ratings. It's about why you play. Plenty of "Pros" aren't "Pro" caliber. If I, a 50 yr old 900 level recreational player, can beat you on a given day, you aren't a Pro- at least you probably aren't making money at it! But you are playing Pro, correctly, because you want the chance to compete against the best, not a bunch a recreational yahoos like me.

Then again, if you are playing AM because you "earn" stuff, then you are a "Pro"- but one who simply hustles AMs because you aren't willing to pit your skills against true Pro players.

The worst AM/Pro offenders generally fit into their own unique group. They aren't hustling AMs for plastic from a need for stuff. Instead, they tend to be good players who are poor losers and therefor stay in the division where they do the least damage to their own egos.
    this is one of the best posts i've ever read. and- it came from (cough cough) wes hanson. right on, brother!! i agree with all of this ENTIRELY. who'da thunk?!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Hemmerling
    replied
    Back to the matter at hand...

Just curious: if the ams play for trophies only, what do you
    estimate the entry fee will be? What was it last year?

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Nate Sexton
    replied
    Even we battle hardened pros still feel a tiny shiver of joy from time to time!

Leave a comment:

• Wes Hansen
    replied
    Pros, by definition, play to be compensated for their effort. Amateurs play for the joy of playing.

Any Ams that are playing for more than a trophy and the limited glory are in the wrong division.

Reasonable entry fees (lower than most tourneys run these days), trophies and a not-crappy player pack is the right direction to head.

Go Dion!

thread drift....

Pro vs. AM is not really about ratings. It's about why you play. Plenty of "Pros" aren't "Pro" caliber. If I, a 50 yr old 900 level recreational player, can beat you on a given day, you aren't a Pro- at least you probably aren't making money at it! But you are playing Pro, correctly, because you want the chance to compete against the best, not a bunch a recreational yahoos like me.

Then again, if you are playing AM because you "earn" stuff, then you are a "Pro"- but one who simply hustles AMs because you aren't willing to pit your skills against true Pro players.

The worst AM/Pro offenders generally fit into their own unique group. They aren't hustling AMs for plastic from a need for stuff. Instead, they tend to be good players who are poor losers and therefor stay in the division where they do the least damage to their own egos.

Leave a comment:

Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X