Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willamette Open XV - True Am?

Hey Guys

Looking for feedback - would anyone be opposed to the idea of running the Willamette Open as a True Am style event? Meaning, all the amateurs in the competition would receive loaded players packs and would be competing for trophies as prizes, not discs or scrip or payout.

Let me know what you guys think,
    Thanks,
    Dion
    YES: Its not about prizes for me, and I still get some sweet discs and a rad special item!
    45.61%
    NO: I came to win - and that means lots of plastic to me!
    15.79%
    INDIFFERENT: I would play either way, come on, this is the Willamette Open we are talking about!
    26.32%
    OTHER: I would need more information before I decide.
    12.28%
    Team DISCRAFT
    NW Sign Up
    Gorilla Boy
    Paragon Disc Golf
    Odwalla

Agreed!!!!!!

Comment

I agree in principle as long as none of the am entry fee goes to pro payouts and instead gets used to provide a truly awesome player's pack and trophys.

Originally posted by NAVA50383 View Post
      Agreed!!!!!!

Comment

I agree with this idea. The people that likely won't are those who benefit from script the most. Also I can agree that as long as the AM money stays in the divisions that would be a huge bonus.
        "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayduke View Post
          provide a truly awesome player's pack and trophys.
          I think this is the key word here.. what does 'awesome' mean? It's certainly a very subjective term.. what one player wants to see in a players' pack someone else might not care about at all. For me (and probably for a lot of other players too), the sometimes-frustrating part about players packs is discs that I won't ever throw. Many of us have been playing for long enough that our bags are pretty well set, and if the players' pack disc(s) isn't a mold/weight/plastic we throw already (or on a short list of new discs we'd actually be interested in trying), it isn't likely to be a great expenditure, even if the stamp is cool. So personally, I'd want some flexibility in what's in my players' pack (e.g. a choice of several molds/discs), possibly even with choices from multiple companies.

I'm also a little wary of the merchandise/trophy retail vs. wholesale issue, and how the players' pack value is determined (but of course that's an issue with AM scrip payouts too). I've seen a huge range of markups on merchandise between different kinds of events, with one of the best events I've seen being the Discraft Ace Race: $25 buy-in gets the player ~$50 worth of merchandise at typical storefront prices.

So, with some amount of flexibility in those 'awesome' players' packs, I don't have any issue at all with trophy-only AM divisions.. and if it made events a little cheaper for Ams as well, I could see it being a solid selling point for an event.

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
            Hey Guys

Looking for feedback - would anyone be opposed to the idea of running the Willamette Open as a True Am style event? Meaning, all the amateurs in the competition would receive loaded players packs and would be competing for trophies as prizes, not discs or scrip or payout.

Let me know what you guys think,
            Thanks,
            Dion
            I voted YES!!! You should put puppies in the players packs, everyone loves puppies!

Can the pros get their money back as a players pack and play for trophies as well? That would be the best players pack ever.

(Seriously though, I'd vote YES even if I was still playing AM)
            Last edited by Reichard; May 14th, 2013, 01:47 PM. Reason: i r nut gud speeler

Comment

Yes I like the idea. It's about time we move in this direction.

An even better idea is to provide a modest player pack along with a low entry fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Hemmerling View Post

An even better idea is to provide a modest player pack along with a low entry fee.
                I think you just described a Stumptown Slosh event.

Jeff
                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I vote yes in either case (low entry fee or expensive PP). Potential scrip providing sponsors might object but I suppose that is not your question.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                    I think you just described a Stumptown Slosh event.

Jeff
                    Or the WestSound Challenge series...

ok Thread Hijack over....

In all seriousness, I would like to see the am side of the sport move this direction in general.
                    Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
                    Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

Ok now we're just getting out of control lol

Comment

I'm too new to all this to probably be of any true help. But true AM divisions might also boost participation numbers if.... (people think they aren't playing against an advanced player stepping down into the rec. division), just an example to get my point across. But I also agree with the comment that what some might think is a good PP, others will not.

Comment

The chances of me getting down there to play are slim although I would really like to. I am not opposed to playing for Trophies only in an AM division. I am not opposed to receiving scrip either. All that matters is the tournament is fun and well run. If those two things happen, I am always down.
                          "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                          Cleveland Brown

Comment

I wonder if this poll should somehow determine if the person voting plays am or pro.

I play mpm, this does not effect me so I won't vote.

E

Comment

$60 entry fee x 50-60 players= about 3,300 dollars. Would all that money go to trophies/players pack? What would the money go to? I like script because it saves me money. I don't have to go spend money on plastic. Right now I have 6 disc in my bag(over $80) from script so, it's just as good as cash to me.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X