X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattlesnakes at whistlers

So at the north umpqua invitational I was looking for my sisters disc called it a goner climed back up the cliff on 7 and at the top I met this 3ft 2" thick snake I hate snakes with a passion but the locals said it was just a king snake very harmless regardless I picked it up with a stick to show Andrew and Mimi on hole 9 showed them dropped the snake and thought I could pick it up by its tail it slithered away near the tree right of the teepad I pursued went to reach and heard a low rattle I thought my mind was playing tricks on me as I told myself there's no rattlesnakes in Oregon I reached again and the rattle get louder then I saw it the meanest ugliest looking SOB ever coiled in an S I jump away and hauled ass back to camp Moral of this story why didn't anyone ever tell me those things existed in that part of the state seriously ppl wtf!!!!!

Rattlesnakes can found be found pretty much ANYWHERE in Oregon except the Portland metro area, the high Cascades, and the coast. http://pages.uoregon.edu/titus/herp/oreganus.html

FYI, their strike range is about 3/4 of their body length. And they WON'T chase you; you're way more dangerous to a snake than it is to you, so pretty much the only way to get bitten is to severely harass it or accidentally step on it.

(Oh, and king snakes don't look like rattlers at all; gopher snakes do, though, and they'll even pretend to be rattlesnakes to scare you off.)
    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I saw several snakes this weekend at Whistlers and they were all Gopher snakes. The mature gopher snakes also have rattles that they use to scare you into leaving them alone. I'm not saying there are no rattlers at Whistlers, I heard locals talking about them being there and there are definitely enough rocky areas they might like. I've had big gopher snakes rattle and hiss and strike at me before, it can definitely be scary.

Comment

Almost stepped on one near 10's basket Friday. Scared the s**t out of me and while my heart was stopped I did take note that there was no rattle but was scared of pretty much every stick on the side of the trails for the rest of the weekend.

Spiders I can handle. Snakes- no f-in way. haha!

Comment

We found Sally's attack snake during round 2 - http://i.imgur.com/QhljOxi.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by blaineT View Post
            AHHH! flashbacks!!! ick!!

Comment

i like snakes and am disappointed that i have never gotten to see any on my trips to whistler's. i did see a black widow eating a yellow jacket, a big pileated wood pecker, an immature western skink (their tales are shiny and blue!!!) and a furry caterpillar being dive bombed by a fly... but no snakes.
              "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
              Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by blaineT View Post
                Ehhhh that's the culprit that pic dosent show it justice on how big it was and also that wasn't the second snake I saw that rattled at me

Comment

It is a gopher snake. Gopher and bull snakes imitate a rattle snake by rapidly beating their tails against tall dry grass to imitate the rattle of western diamondback.
                  "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

Last May, I stumbled upon a rattlesnake right in the middle of the Dog Mountain Trail, and if I hadn't been watching my feet, I might have stepped on it. That was a little unnerving. And by the way, Dog Mountain and Wind Mountain are about as far west as you'll find them in the Gorge.
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Originally posted by NAVA50383 View Post
                      So at the north umpqua invitational I was looking for my sisters disc called it a goner climed back up the cliff on 7 and at the top I met this 3ft 2" thick snake I hate snakes with a passion but the locals said it was just a king snake very harmless regardless I picked it up with a stick to show Andrew and Mimi on hole 9 showed them dropped the snake and thought I could pick it up by its tail it slithered away near the tree right of the teepad I pursued went to reach and heard a low rattle I thought my mind was playing tricks on me as I told myself there's no rattlesnakes in Oregon I reached again and the rattle get louder then I saw it the meanest ugliest looking SOB ever coiled in an S I jump away and hauled ass back to camp Moral of this story why didn't anyone ever tell me those things existed in that part of the state seriously ppl wtf!!!!!
                      I take it you are not from Oregon? Everyone I know, knows that rattle snakes live everywhere except Metro Portland. LOL good lesson learned. And being you were not bitten this is just darn funny as an after thought. LOL Glad you are OK but just remember they are everywhere. I also hate snakes worth a passion.
                      sigpic Gives a whole new meaning to the words Pulling you're Pork.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyJ View Post
                        I take it you are not from Oregon? Everyone I know, knows that rattle snakes live everywhere except Metro Portland. LOL good lesson learned. And being you were not bitten this is just darn funny as an after thought. LOL Glad you are OK but just remember they are everywhere. I also hate snakes worth a passion.
                        First off I am from Oregon not born and raised but I'm sure 16 years is good enough and the icing on the cake is 16 years in the metro area I've heard of them in eastern oregon but nothing about southern/central huge lesson learned I was debating on crushing it with a rock just cuz I'd hate to see someone get bit with help being 30 min away but it is one of gods creatures so u win this round slitherin lol

Comment

While it may be true that Rattlesnakes at some point in the past were known to exist many places in Oregon, it is just not true rattlesnakes live everywhere in Oregon except the Portland Metro, today. They have very specific habitat needs and are not just hanging around in any old open space, or wetland or park. Let's not get hysterical, the vast majority of snakes you will see that "look" like rattlesnakes are gopher snakes and they are harmless. And rattlesnakes have a place in the world too, and shouldn't be killed just for existing. Yes, they freak me out too, and I'd probably take a whack at one that tried to bite me or was in an unsafe place for kids or whatever.

Ok, sorry, off my soapbox.

Comment

I ain't going nowhere near that golf course

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                              While it may be true that Rattlesnakes at some point in the past were known to exist many places in Oregon, it is just not true rattlesnakes live everywhere in Oregon except the Portland Metro, today. They have very specific habitat needs and are not just hanging around in any old open space, or wetland or park.
                              Well, yeah. They like sunny rocky areas. But I thought people knew that; just because sockeye salmon are found in northwestern Oregon doesn't mean they live in my backyard.
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X