X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't pick up plastic??

I was playing this morning at white river and just about to tee off when I seen another player walking back up the fairway to get a disc that got left behind. I waved him on, he picked up his plastic and walked off. As I went up the fairway I noticed a disc near to where the other player picked up his putter. I yelled that I found a disc and dude said "not mine".
    I caught up to this fella 2 holes later and asked again if this was his disc.

"Nope, not mine. I seen it there, and I left it there, I don't pick up discs that's not mine." So I asked if he ever lost a disc and got a call to return it.
    "yup I have lost discs and had people call to return them."

I asked why then he wouldn't do the same for others, ya know the GOOD KARMA thing and all.
    "Sorry but I'm not going to pick up a lost disc and return it, its not my problem, and I don't see making any money off it."

I know that there is no requirement to return a disc if you find one, but its the cool thing to do. You never know if the disc you find and return is some players "baby" and you saved them much grief.

There has been many postings on this matter, and I'm sure there will be many more. Just remember that if you find a disc, try to return it, its the right thing to do. Besides its good karma!!

On a side note, when you write your name and number on your plastic, MAKE IT READABLE!!!!! This means you Bryce, a 4 is a 4, and a 9 is a 9. Your 9's look like 4's and it took me 5 fone calls before I got your number correct
    Hukin since 1992
    DGOD #115

honestly, i've left plastic behind, more often than i pick it up and try to find the owner... couple reasons why. 1. it's usually been a pain in my ass and not worth my time trying to return plastic. i live in the boonies and work 9-5:30 so i can't easily just "meet you somewhere". i apologize that my time is that precious to me (and by "apologize" i mean "i'm not sorry at all"). i sometimes put it somewhere more noticeable, like on a bench or on top of the basket, but often figure that if the person goes back looking for it... it should be where they left it or else they are not going to find it (from my own personal experience). that being said, i've picked up plastic and called the person right then and been like, "hey, i'm on hole 6 and i've got your disc if you want it" (and then if they don't answer i hide it under a patch of nettle or oak... 'cause that's what you get for wasting my time). 2. i don't have room in my bag for any extra plastic. grip bags don't have much extra space.

soooo... anywho, it's not 'cause i don't see it as a nonlucrative endeavour... it's just that i'm very selfish.
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

I just got a "baby" back last Saturday that I never was called and it had a new phone number right over mine. I always call people. I will try 3 times and if no reply it goes in to my dog stash. I matched my best round ever right after getting that disc back. It really sucks to loose a disc that is working for you. Thank You Ace for getting that back!
      www.rewindb.com

Comment

I forgot to mention that disc was my first dye job and it has my inititials and pdga# DYEd on top.
        www.rewindb.com

Comment

Someone might figure that the owner will be back to pick it up (i.e. they're still on the course somewhere).
          Seems reasonable.

Comment

Yeah, in most situations I would rather people -not- pick up my disc. Sure you actually lose some, but if i realize the disc is not in my bag at the end of the round I go back to where I last threw it, I have a good memory for those things. Just my personal feeling on the matter.

Comment

I always go out of my way to pick up and try and return lost plastic, its what a responsible golfer does. I would expect nothing less from most people that post on this forum...
              A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                Yeah, in most situations I would rather people -not- pick up my disc. Sure you actually lose some, but if i realize the disc is not in my bag at the end of the round I go back to where I last threw it, I have a good memory for those things. Just my personal feeling on the matter.
                this happened to me today at woodland creek
                got back to #1 and realized i left it sitting on #4
                when i got back to #4 it was gone

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
                  This is a good point that I didn't think of.
                  Personally if I find a disc and it has a number I will call it and see what the owner wants to do. If I get no answer I take the disc to Mandos in Auburn. I'm a local player so this is not going out of my way to do it.
                  Hukin since 1992
                  DGOD #115

Comment

I almost always pick up orphaned discs at courses that have a place to turn in lost discs (Dabney, Horning's, etc.). Sometimes I leave them be, if they're out in the open and I think it's likely the owner just temporarily spaced on it.

Once or twice, I've hidden a disc in a hollow tree or something, then called the owner and told them where they can find it. That strategy is especially useful if you're at an out-of-town course.
                    Oregon disc golf map

Comment

We chased down a car today that was dropping discs off the roof. We couldnt catch them cause we stopped to grab discs off the road. Finally picked up one with a # and got them pulled over.

Comment

My name & # are always on my disc's. I totally believe in the karma thing and always try my best to pick up and return disc's that I find. Seems to work well 90% of the time and people really seem to appreciate the effort. Like some of you said, it's the right thing to do. It also help's promote our sport in a positive way.

BTW this is my first post on here. Nick South

Comment

I think most of us here pick up and try to return orphaned discs, but I don't think someone should be bashed for simply deciding to mind his own business.
                          Basket thieves

Comment

I lost a roc 3 at blue lake. 2 days later the guy that found it asked me for my address and mailed it to me. I feel that the karma ball is in my court and I will keep the tradition alive

Comment

I always find mine at Deek and Brian's used bin...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X