Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Tournament Season

So it is here!

The 2009 Tournament Season is upon us and I am STOKED! I've already planned out which events I'd like to make this year and in light of my sponsorship I'm probably going to make All Oregon, most Washington and some California events. Also - Worlds, USDGC if I qualify, and Players Cup.

I have a question for everyone though. I'm going to offer a variety of tournaments this season as well, what kinda events and on what courses would you like to play? Remeber that most the events I run are at Adair due to convienence, but I'd be willing to step into Bryant, Waterloo and other near by courses to run events.

Type of tournaments:
    PDGA Singles - C and B tier
    Doubles - Best shot, worst shot, alternate...
    Triples - Three Headed Monster format, best shot...
    Super Class - large diameter old school awesomeness
    Speed Disc - Against the clock baby!
    One Disc - there can be only one!

Anything else?

What do you want to play?
    Team DISCRAFT
    NW Sign Up
    Gorilla Boy
    Paragon Disc Golf
    Odwalla

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
    So it is here!

The 2009 Tournament Season is upon us and I am STOKED! I've already planned out which events I'd like to make this year and in light of my sponsorship I'm probably going to make All Oregon, most Washington and some California events. Also - Worlds, USDGC if I qualify, and Players Cup.

I have a question for everyone though. I'm going to offer a variety of tournaments this season as well, what kinda events and on what courses would you like to play? Remeber that most the events I run are at Adair due to convienence, but I'd be willing to step into Bryant, Waterloo and other near by courses to run events.

Type of tournaments:

Anything else?

I would play the hell out of a Super Class event. I am likely one of the few that would find this fun though.
    Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

I can't wait to run a super class event!!!!!! Nate, Colin and I are Zephyr masters and also have a secret weapon known as "Te Moko", New Zealands ultiamte Super Class disc!!!!!

Can't wait to see you at our event Erik!
      Team DISCRAFT
      NW Sign Up
      Gorilla Boy
      Paragon Disc Golf
      Odwalla

Comment

Originally posted by proto something or other View Post
        I would play the hell out of a Super Class event. I am likely one of the few that would find this fun though.
        I love the thought of more 1 day b and c tier tournaments in the state.

Intrigued by speed disc. How does that work in a tournament setting? My best scored rounds have always been solo rounds where I pick up and throw quickly. Waiting around in a tournament setting seems to have a big, negative impact.

Comment

Waterloo is a fun tourny course... and I really want to try that speed golf buisness

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
            So it is here!

Type of tournaments:

Anything else?

I totally want to play a one-disc event! Beyond that, any tourny at Adair is great. The Adair fundraiser series last year was very cool and more sanctioned one-days like that would be awesome.

Comment

How about the 3-disc tourney?

There seems to be enough people taking about what they would throw in the Disc Equipment thread... 3 disc anytime, anyplace, anywhere.

Comment

Anything at Adair is perfect and I agree with Scott, more one day PDGA events is great.

Bob

Comment

I'd be stoked about any tournament but I would definitely be in for a super class event. Sounds like a good time to me. Oh and I also enjoy Waterloo.

Comment

Here's an additional incentive for the Open players as Super Class events gain some steam. What we've found in our Super Class league all winter is that, at least for one round, scores for Intermediate thru Open players including Master Pros and GM Pros are all close enough that we all play together in Open making for a much bigger division. We all feel we can and have contended on any given week and in fact two Advanced guys have done the best so far this season.

With the compression of scores in Super Class, every putt matters even more than with regular discs. The Open guys still out distance everyone on drives but nowhere near the difference with regular plastic and not enough that they are parked and everyone else has an approach, as long as the hole distances are appropriate. What we've found is a mix of short and long tees gives the best Super Class layout with holes under 225 for ace and deuceable holes. Avoid holes in the 240-350 range. From 350-450 is the sweet spot for tough 3s and par 4s. Jump to 575-650 for par 5s. Of course, the more wooded the routes, shorten these ideal ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                      Here's an additional incentive for the Open players as Super Class events gain some steam. What we've found in our Super Class league all winter is that, at least for one round, scores for Intermediate thru Open players including Master Pros and GM Pros are all close enough that we all play together in Open making for a much bigger division. We all feel we can and have contended on any given week and in fact two Advanced guys have done the best so far this season.
                      In your first sentence you state an implied incentive for Open players to play Super Class. Then in you go on and indicate that Open player don't have much advantage at all, and that it's likely that they'll get beat by amateurs on a regular basis.

?

Comment

So I'm sitting here with a headache and sore shoulder and reading various other threads and thinking about the tournaments I've played. In most of the events I've played the course gets tweaked and holes are lengthened and made more challenging. This is understandable as MOST events are designed with the Advanced and Open players in mind.

What I'd like to see is an event with the lesser skilled player in mind. Shorten the monster holes, remove Mando's that are only there to make a hole harder, remove crazy OB's that are hard for us weaker players to make. Staff the event with lots of Advanced/Open players on hand to offer advice and encourage the players. We have a lot of new players entering the sport all the time. It would be a great way to bring them into the competitive aspect of disc golf.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
                          In your first sentence you state an implied incentive for Open players to play Super Class. Then in you go on and indicate that Open player don't have much advantage at all, and that it's likely that they'll get beat by amateurs on a regular basis.

?
                          The incentive is the potential for larger Open fields. I think most Open players feel their division could be bigger if only those Masters, GMs and Advanced players would step up. You hear that "whine" pretty much everywhere. In Super Class, it looks like that is happening, but then you have to deliver.

Comment

another vote for more one day c tier events anywhere in the mid-willamette valley area.
                            those were a blast last year, and provided some fun competition to get into the W.O. for free.
                            May the wind be in your favor...

Comment

I would love to play in a super class event.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X