Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mikk
    started a topic Fixing what was broken

Fixing what was broken

I dont like vandals, lame people. Somebody broke the top off the #9 basket at white river. So i got out the welder and fixed it!! So take that you basket brakers!!!

• Mikk
    replied
    Originally posted by mine all mine View Post
    If you want welding advice PM me and I will help you out. All I would need is some video of your welds with sound and I can usually fix most problems
    When I was at a friends exhaust shop I mentioned that the sound of my welding was different than his.
    He looked at me funny, but I have uber hearing and know the difference.
    He is using gas/wire feed. I only have resin core wire feed. I also notice that I get more splatter off my welds, so definately a penitration issue...

Leave a comment:

• mine all mine
    replied
    If you want welding advice PM me and I will help you out. All I would need is some video of your welds with sound and I can usually fix most problems

Leave a comment:

• mine all mine
    replied
    Originally posted by Mikk View Post
    Well I'm no welder but I think this will work!! Tom and I moved a better basket to hole 9 and took the repaired basket to the putting practice spot. The basket that has been repaired has been beat up over the years from vandals and mother nature dropping trees on it. So hole 9 now has a DGA basket!!
    Good thing you moved this basket because those welds won't hold. I am not trying to be mean, but those welds have zero penetration and have no structural integrity whatsoever. The spatter and the size of the weld tell me that you did not have good bare metal contact nor enough power to achieve a good weld that will be effective with moderate abuse. Even cheap welders can do a good job with proper surface preparation and the right power supply.

Leave a comment:

• bstullis
    replied
    Well I'm no welder but I think this will work!! Tom and I moved a better basket to hole 9 and took the repaired basket to the putting practice spot. The basket that has been repaired has been beat up over the years from vandals and mother nature dropping trees on it. So hole 9 now has a DGA basket!!
    Looks good, the only thing that I think would make it stronger would be to sandwich a plate and collar on the over the broken bits and weld them in place. Not a welder so I don't know if it is possible or not but reinforcing usually works on my RC car (usually )

Leave a comment:

• Mikk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• matt
    replied
    That's just it, my wire feed welder is a really cheap unit, there for its difficult to do a quality weld

I got a new wire brush to scuff up the surface..
    you might have to use a grinder, to dig down to some good clean metal

if needed, you could also put a big washer on top, to give it extra support and something more to weld to

Leave a comment:

• Mikk
    replied
    Originally posted by matt View Post
    i have found its hard to weld on heavily galvanized metal
    grind as much of it off as you can
    and then you will still have to just keep burning on it for a while extra, to get good penetration
    That's just it, my wire feed welder is a really cheap unit, there for its difficult to do a quality weld

I got a new wire brush to scuff up the surface..

Leave a comment:

• matt
    replied
    ok so it looks like I gota fix that basket again. I am going to weld the crap out of it this time ;-)
    Jerky people that hurt baskets aint going to get me down!! so there!!
    Maybe its time to replace it???
    i have found its hard to weld on heavily galvanized metal
    grind as much of it off as you can
    and then you will still have to just keep burning on it for a while extra, to get good penetration

Leave a comment:

• jeffmonty
    replied
    Nice job. I thank you and the DG community thanks you!

Leave a comment:

• Mikk
    replied
    ok so it looks like I gota fix that basket again. I am going to weld the crap out of it this time ;-)
    Jerky people that hurt baskets aint going to get me down!! so there!!
    Maybe its time to replace it???

Leave a comment:

• Mikk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    I hope you were careful when welding that, galvanized fumes can be quite toxic. Otherwise, good job!
    Yes I was very careful about that. I actualy made a few fone calls to some people for some input about it ( Sam ).
    A friend that worked on the new Tacoma Narrows bridge cam thru with this information, along with a major warning about it. It can possibly be lethal!!
    Last edited by Mikk; May 11th, 2013, 02:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ranger Rick
    replied
    I hope you were careful when welding that, galvanized fumes can be quite toxic. Otherwise, good job!

Leave a comment:

• Mikk
    replied
    Originally posted by Cajun View Post
    Thank you for fixing this!
    Right on :-)
    Each of us has something we can give back to the community. Returning lost plastic, picking up garbage, or teaching newbs the rules. I believe in karma, and this basket has delivered to me 2 killer aces. I just had to fix it so that others may also get an ace! I was just spreading the love of disc golf!!!

Leave a comment:

• Cajun
    replied
    Thank you for fixing this!

Leave a comment:

Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X