Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matt View Post
    i have found its hard to weld on heavily galvanized metal
    grind as much of it off as you can
    and then you will still have to just keep burning on it for a while extra, to get good penetration
    That's just it, my wire feed welder is a really cheap unit, there for its difficult to do a quality weld

I got a new wire brush to scuff up the surface..
    Hukin since 1992
    DGOD #115

Comment

Originally posted by Mikk View Post
      That's just it, my wire feed welder is a really cheap unit, there for its difficult to do a quality weld

I got a new wire brush to scuff up the surface..
      you might have to use a grinder, to dig down to some good clean metal

if needed, you could also put a big washer on top, to give it extra support and something more to weld to

Comment

Well I'm no welder but I think this will work!! Tom and I moved a better basket to hole 9 and took the repaired basket to the putting practice spot. The basket that has been repaired has been beat up over the years from vandals and mother nature dropping trees on it. So hole 9 now has a DGA basket!!
        Hukin since 1992
        DGOD #115

Comment

Well I'm no welder but I think this will work!! Tom and I moved a better basket to hole 9 and took the repaired basket to the putting practice spot. The basket that has been repaired has been beat up over the years from vandals and mother nature dropping trees on it. So hole 9 now has a DGA basket!!
          Looks good, the only thing that I think would make it stronger would be to sandwich a plate and collar on the over the broken bits and weld them in place. Not a welder so I don't know if it is possible or not but reinforcing usually works on my RC car (usually )

Comment

Good thing you moved this basket because those welds won't hold. I am not trying to be mean, but those welds have zero penetration and have no structural integrity whatsoever. The spatter and the size of the weld tell me that you did not have good bare metal contact nor enough power to achieve a good weld that will be effective with moderate abuse. Even cheap welders can do a good job with proper surface preparation and the right power supply.

Comment

If you want welding advice PM me and I will help you out. All I would need is some video of your welds with sound and I can usually fix most problems

Comment

Originally posted by mine all mine View Post
                If you want welding advice PM me and I will help you out. All I would need is some video of your welds with sound and I can usually fix most problems
                When I was at a friends exhaust shop I mentioned that the sound of my welding was different than his.
                He looked at me funny, but I have uber hearing and know the difference.
                He is using gas/wire feed. I only have resin core wire feed. I also notice that I get more splatter off my welds, so definately a penitration issue...
                Hukin since 1992
                DGOD #115

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X