An interesting way to make random doubles payouts more exciting. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An interesting way to make random doubles payouts more exciting.

I just came back from Florida where I played in a local weekly pro/am doubles tournament It was at a really tough course (North Fort Myers). They were a welcoming bunch with a range of skills. It was random draw although only after they separated the pro's from the am's (that day the 2 strongest am's had to play as pro to even a little discrepancy in the turnout ratio). I could see a couple of issues with this particular pairing system, but what I really liked was their payout system:

Everyone paid $10 to get in. $6 went to the payout, $2 went to 2 x ctp holes, $1 went to the acepot and $1 went to the "birdy bonanza" (or some similarly sounding moniker).

The $6 is self explanatory.
    As is the $1 for the ace pot.
    For the $2 ctp they had 18 playing cards of which they randomly drew 2 to determine the ctp holes ($1/hole). This night one of the holes drawn was 680' so it became more of a long drive contest than a true ctp.
    And the last dollar went into the "birdy bonanza" pot which rolled over (much the same as the ace pot) if it wasn't won. To determine the 5 holes involved they drew 5 cards from the remaining 16 cards. The team who birdies all 5 holes that round takes the pot.
    All winnings, ctp's, ace pots and birdy bonanza pots (should either of the latter two be hit) would be split evenly between both partners of the winning duo. It was pretty fair and also gave two ways to build tempting pots. When I was there the ace pot was up to $190 and the birdy deal was a little over $300. At the right course (or a roving doubles league that plays a different course each week) this could be a really fun payout system.

Or not! Discuss......

Sounds pretty cool to me

Comment

i like everything except splitting the ace pot and CTP money with both partners. those are both based on idividual throws and should be given to the individual that wins them, not the team that the individual is on.
      other than that it sounds like a fun set up, although im not sure i would want to throw down 10 bucks each week just to play doubles.
      Team HOSER:dancing:
      Team OLY:cheerleader:
      Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

we have a somewhat similar system for doubles at sekani, just simplified.

5$ goes to pay out, $1 goes straight to the club for improvements on the course, and $1 goes to acepot. if you choose not to participate in the acepot, you only pay $6. ace pot is always at $100 if you hit an ace. each group of doubles figures out at the beginning of the round if theyre gonna split the pot between the two if they hit it or keep it individually if they hit it. i always go for the first option, gives twice the change of hitting it every hole($50 is still a decent payout)

CTP is always for a brand new disc that a local shop donates. disc changed every week, but its a nice little incentive and doesnt add to the initial cash to play. last time i played it was for a shiny green mcbeth roc3.

very simple format IMO and the winners still get a good chunk of change for their efforts.
        Last edited by Northsidedallin; April 3rd, 2013, 07:33 AM.

Comment

I agree a CTP or ace is an individual's accomplishment, and almost always an individual payout. However, flipside, this could also be viewed as something of a team-builder or comraderie between players on a given day. Not everyone can throw far or accurately, but they are trying, so this could keep them coming back and have a good time, adding bucks to the pot each week.

Comment

I thought about the even pot split for ctps and their birdie bonanza but they had a point. In doubles, if your partner pins their drive then you have the green light to run at it. This was their reasoning behind splitting everything. It was all very fair IMO. I have in the past also thought a 75%/25% is fair for ace pots etc. now I actually think their way is better. It creates a stronger bond on the team, their reasoning is solid and it gives every participant a fair chance of a big payday which would help both in attendance and the "snowball effect" of growing the pots.

Comment

Just let me know when and where and I'm in!
              Sounds like a good time.
              As far as partners splitting ace or CPT, come on, if you're really that broke and need rent money don't play. It's a partners event so if one wins, so does the other.

Comment

Originally posted by loki View Post
                I thought about the even pot split for ctps and their birdie bonanza but they had a point. In doubles, if your partner pins their drive then you have the green light to run at it. This was their reasoning behind splitting everything. It was all very fair IMO. I have in the past also thought a 75%/25% is fair for ace pots etc. now I actually think their way is better. It creates a stronger bond on the team, their reasoning is solid and it gives every participant a fair chance of a big payday which would help both in attendance and the "snowball effect" of growing the pots.
                when you have an "aceable" hole in doubles its ALWAYS GREEN LIGHT TIME!! for both partners, none of this wussy "ill lay up so you can go for the ace" stuff. go for it or go home!

as for it being a "partners event" hey, if i throw my partners disc in for an ace or vice/versa then i would split the ace pot, other than that NO WAY an ace is only made by the efforts of one person. nothing about teamwork when it comes to an ace.
                Team Meteor

Comment

I might just try running a small doubles with a similar (and maybe slightly modified) concept. I'm thinking 6 consecutive weeks on 6 of our courses in and around the gorge (dabney, rooster, blue lake, bonneville, cascade locks and a modified course my friends and I designed at benson....don't worry, it's tough). Maybe when the days get a little longer. The only night that would work would be Mondays. We can figure some car-pooling for those interested who don't drive. Do you think 20 to 30 people would have enough interest in giving it a go? (As long as I'm not stepping on any other Monday evening leagues!)

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                    when you have an "aceable" hole in doubles its ALWAYS GREEN LIGHT TIME!! for both partners, none of this wussy "ill lay up so you can go for the ace" stuff. go for it or go home!

as for it being a "partners event" hey, if i throw my partners disc in for an ace or vice/versa then i would split the ace pot, other than that NO WAY an ace is only made by the efforts of one person. nothing about teamwork when it comes to an ace.
                    It's not always the 170' shot that is hit you...I was gonna say jackhole, but I figure I would shed some light on your check valve style of golf. If you were my partner and you threw straight down the fairway on a 385' hole and gave us a good look at birdie (within 40'), I would then precede to try and "ace" the hole on the grounds that your shot was playable for a birdie and could better our score. Now, if you shanked your drive like the partner I think you would be, I would be forced to throw a safer shot that hopefully would allow us a chance at birdie. By your reasoning, my play has nothing to do with your play and so if I did ace you should get nothing...sound good?

Comment

Originally posted by mine all mine View Post
                      It's not always the 170' shot that is hit you...I was gonna say jackhole, but I figure I would shed some light on your check valve style of golf. If you were my partner and you threw straight down the fairway on a 385' hole and gave us a good look at birdie (within 40'), I would then precede to try and "ace" the hole on the grounds that your shot was playable for a birdie and could better our score. Now, if you shanked your drive like the partner I think you would be, I would be forced to throw a safer shot that hopefully would allow us a chance at birdie. By your reasoning, my play has nothing to do with your play and so if I did ace you should get nothing...sound good?
                      sounds good, all except for the part of me shanking my drive. that only happens 50% of the time!!!

your ace, your money.
                      Team Meteor

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                        sounds good, all except for the part of me shanking my drive. that only happens 50% of the time!!!

your ace, your money.
                        dont be so hard on your self
                        its more like 57%

Comment

The OP said the event pairs pros with ams, and there's at least one 600+ hole. The forced split pot makes sense under those conditions.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X