X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A DG Friend Passes

A week ago, 3/24/13, Lynn Walty, an unsung hero of disc golf passed away. Who was Lynn? He was the Mayor of Lake Stevens who helped get the unique Lake Stevens Disc Golf Course going.

At best he played maybe three holes after the course was installed -- he wasn't a pro at politics either, being mayor while holding a day job at Boeing.

What Lynn had was a lot of common sense. He recognized that Catherine Creek Park could do better than being a hangout for drugged out nobodies. He did the heavy lifting of getting the disc golf course approved in cooperation with the Lake Stevens School District, City, and Downtown Association. .

Next chance you get to play, throw an extra disc on hole one for the Lynn Walty's of the world. They are at the core of what it takes to move disc golf forward. If Lynn ever had the chance to meet Ed Headrick, the founder of Disc Golf whom I had the opportunity to work and play with, they'd have been friends.

I will throw an extra off Top of the World in his honor this weekend!
    Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
    Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
    Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
    Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
    Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Dr. Fred.

A lot of thanks & gratitude for Mayor Walty & all the unsung heros of disc golf.

Mayor Walty leaves a splendid legacy in Lake Stevens. The disc golf course provides a lot of recreation, camaraderie, & fellowship for the community. He laid the foundation that has led to 2 big tournaments a year (2 & growing) that are well attended by disc golfers all over the Northwest, Monday night doubles, & countless rounds enjoyed by pros, semi pros, weekend warriors, families, well intentioned youths, retirees, degenerate gamblers, & many others all friends in Frisbee.

He would be proud to know that the Lake Stevens Disc Golf community gives back by keeping the trash picked up in the park, maintaining the course, & giving the right of way to other park users.

He would also be proud to know that thru disc golf locally in Lake Stevens that nearly $1000 has been donated to the LS Food Bank in the last two years alone. Hopefully this can be continued.

Its great to know that some of Mayor Walty's common sense has led to some great things happening in Lake Stevens.

Comment

Thanks for posting this story of Lynn Walty and the Lake Stevens course. It's always good to recognize those who initiate such accomplishments for the masses. I will follow up with an extra drive.

Comment

I went ahead and threw THREE extra shots in his honor. The pin was in the long position. I put one within 100 feet, from the long tee!
          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by TreeLove View Post
            I went ahead and threw THREE extra shots in his honor. The pin was in the long position. I put one within 100 feet, from the long tee!
            I thought that was an ace-hole for you G.

Comment

Bump for a truly great guy. Sounds like with all he did a nice plaque near the entrance or Tee #1 would be the least that could be done... Honorary turney maybe???

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
              Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X