Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
    Why did you remove the rubber cleats?
    I found that they make my footing squishy on concrete tee pads. They are awesome everywhere else tho. There are many types of cleat shapes available, but can get spendy. So I just got 3 pairs of shoes and wear them out. It has taken almost 4 years of daily golf to kill 3 pairs, so 1000 rounds of 18 holes between all 3 pairs.
    Hukin since 1992
    DGOD #115

Comment

And just when I thought I was getting a handle on throwing a good hyzer flip drive, I miss-judged the head wind on hole 16 at white river, and put my new bolt into the river ;-(

Flipy plastic is just too unpredictable in head winds for me!!
      Hukin since 1992
      DGOD #115

Comment

Lately I have been throwing a D1 as far as my Halos with a really predictable line and finish. This disc is quickly growing on me. I'm releasing with a slight hyzer. For pure distance I still like the Halo, but most courses don't allow me to throw pure distance. I took the Bolt out of my bag for the same reason. I could get really good distance once in a while 400-450' in the summer with gentle tailwind, (I normally throw around 350+), and some amazing rollers with the Bolt. But when the wind showed up, even just a little head or cross wind, all the fun was gone. That thing became really unpredictable when it would choose to flip and glide a mile the wrong direction. So I have 3 of them on my shelf for now.
        PDGA# 49616
        Stumptown# 353
        OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

Originally posted by jdinteg View Post
          Lately I have been throwing a D1 as far as my Halos with a really predictable line and finish. This disc is quickly growing on me. I'm releasing with a slight hyzer. For pure distance I still like the Halo, but most courses don't allow me to throw pure distance. I took the Bolt out of my bag for the same reason. I could get really good distance once in a while 400-450' in the summer with gentle tailwind, (I normally throw around 350+), and some amazing rollers with the Bolt. But when the wind showed up, even just a little head or cross wind, all the fun was gone. That thing became really unpredictable when it would choose to flip and glide a mile the wrong direction. So I have 3 of them on my shelf for now.
          The Halo is a good disc, however I had grip issues with it. I.E. due to the design of the inside of the wing, it would sneak out of my hand on big drives.

I believe that darn beveled edege was designed for side-arm drives, and not so much back hand drives.

I'm looking into the D1 and the Z Nuke SS...
          Hukin since 1992
          DGOD #115

Comment

Originally posted by Mikk View Post
            And just when I thought I was getting a handle on throwing a good hyzer flip drive, I miss-judged the head wind on hole 16 at white river, and put my new bolt into the river ;-(

Flipy plastic is just too unpredictable in head winds for me!!
            never throw flippy into a head wind DOH

Comment

In to a steady head wind switch to a more stable or or over-stable disc and rifle the hyzer angle. It will flip and wander some but will come back. A heavy Valkyrie, Surge, or Wraith works for me.

Switch back to your predictable flipper when the wind dies down.

Snap strong, throw long.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun View Post
                In to a steady head wind switch to a more stable or or over-stable disc and rifle the hyzer angle. It will flip and wander some but will come back. A heavy Valkyrie, Surge, or Wraith works for me.

Switch back to your predictable flipper when the wind dies down.

Snap strong, throw long.
                Valk = Vision or River fly almost identical to the 20+ Valks I have owned. The best driver for beginners and beyond by far. (Went through used Valk buying spree for a while, got rid of all but my favorite 10)

Surge = Riot or Villian. But I can throw my Striker or Saint as far as a Surge with a more predictable finish for me. (My first ace disc was an FLX Surge 258', I now throw a putter or mid at that same hole. Guess I changed my game some in the last few years)

Wraith = Riot or Flow (Wraith was my favorite thumber for many years, a really great disc for any Innova fan)

All above are slower speed than a Bolt, Halo, or D1. I prefer the slower speed #9 fairway drivers for most of my game. But when you really want to tear into a drive and give it all you got a Destroyer, Nuke, Force, D1, Halo, Rampage, and countless other big speed 12+ will handle the torque of the big drive.

What's funny though is in a field throwing each disc 10 times between my speed 9 and my speed 13 discs, I usually only gain 30' more from the faster discs over the glide a slower disc will give me. So I only carry 2 discs above speed 11 in my bag for big drives and the rest are for finesse and accuracy. A 500' drive in the wrong direction is worse than a 260' putter shot straight at the target. Some of the players I admire the most rarely pull out the big discs unless it is a wide open long distance shot. Currently I play 80% of my rounds with a Striker or Saint for my drives, especially at Blue Lake where being off means your OB.
                PDGA# 49616
                Stumptown# 353
                OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

I am definitely feeling the benefit of the hyzer flip as well as the warmer weather. Just went and threw my blizzard plastic on the Soccer Field next to Fairgrounds. I usually throw about 300 with a sprinkling of 350 drives sprinkled in whenever I get a hold of one...

Today everything was going further than that.
                  My last real grouping of six blizzard discs.
                  320, 350, 350, 370, 390, 390. Slight Tail wind(which was actually making it a little more difficult to hyzer flip).
                  the two that went 390 both hit near the bottom of the fence or else they might have gone a little further.

Next goal, making it over the 4' fence setting at 390'.
                  Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
                  Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

I had a chance this last weekend to talk and throw with a good player that does well with the hyzer flip. My friend quickly pointed out what my issue is, too much torq/snap. I got used to overstable plastic wich requires a good bit of snap to lay them flat for good distance. This is not needed when using flipy plastic at all. I also discovered that my shoulder position was at a wrong angle as well.
                    I'm realy getting a good style for driving with flipy plastic and find that its alot easier on my body than crushing overstable discs. Now what I need is a good bit of wind to see what my plastic does. sounds like a trip to steili s.e. course is in order ;-)
                    Hukin since 1992
                    DGOD #115

Comment

Thanks to BT, I got these two bombs (for me) on Video.

Comments welcome(including the fact I shouldn't be wearing a drifit shirt like that!)

First throw was 380' (it's a little hard to track but landed a little left of the soccer goal)

http://youtu.be/jKkHCLWurvk

2nd throw went 370' and a little more online.

http://youtu.be/ZD3qcok2SIw
                      Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
                      Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

Good stuf Enigma! However I'm no longer throwing RHBH due to lower back damage. The DR says if I want to continue enjoying the sport of disc golf I must give up driving with my right back hand. Putting is ok, and so is short mid-range shots with no run-up (still hurts tho). Its a good thing I can throw LHFH!!
                        Hukin since 1992
                        DGOD #115

Comment

I've long been a fan and proponent of the hyzer flip. My current favorite hyzer flip disc I recommend is the Avenger SS, I like how gentle and consistent the late-flight turn is, and it doubles as a fantastic roller disc.

For maximum hyzer flip fun though, I love to bust out my 137g Blizzard Katana. I actually flip it from beyond 90 degrees, and it still flips all the way to anhyzer, I use it to park Dabney's hole 7 pretty regularly (old hole 6).
                          PDGA: #32726 rating: 930 StumptownDG: #31, Trojan Nation: Tag# 06
                          dgcoursereview.com profile: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=376

Comment

I did throw an avenger ss and found it to be a realy good roller disc. I believe with good form that the hyzer flip would produce the longest drives. However a good head wind changes this drasticly and makes most "flippy" discs darn near useless. I found this out the hard way by donating alot of plastic to the white river. Even driving with the disc 90 deg to the ground, I still got too much flip and lost my plastic.

I found it extremly easy to get realy good distance with flipy plastic vs stable/overstable plastic. This is after I got some lessons on what a good form looks like when performing a hyzer flip drive. Yes the form is alot different than throwing a stable driver as I learned.

I could see a player doing realy good score wize with the hyzer flip, as long as they kept it out of the head winds. For instance, hole 18 on the Canyon course at Hornings Hideout. I do feel that I could have thrown my bolt to the bottom of the hill easly enough. I was able to do this fairly close with my 168 Rampage wich is kind of flipy. I did have to do a 360 drive off the tee pad tho, for that extra tork, which helps fliping a normaly stable driver.
                            Hukin since 1992
                            DGOD #115

Comment

Originally posted by Mikk View Post
                              Is their any other realy flipy distance drivers that is worth looking into?
                              If you haven't thrown a vulcan, then it may fit your needs perfectly. It hyzer flips lke a katana, but with just a bit more stability, so it doesn't become an unintended roller. Hope this helps.

Comment

1.) Buy a stack of domey Pro Destroyers
                                2.) Find the nearest road or rough fairway
                                3.) Throw them repeatedly into said area until the disc appears to have gone through 'Nam
                                4.) Take disc to fairway where you would hyzer flip
                                5.) Throw hyzer flip with Pro Destroyer
                                6.) Be amazed at how far you just threw that hyzer flip.
                                7.) Drop mic on stage
                                "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X