Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions!

Greetings All,

I got a few questions that I would like to ask the general population!

Would it make sense to build a Club for every course?

As our Sport grows, so too does the Volume of players. Will these New Players that want to volunteer be stifled by the small number of Clubs versus Courses?

I am not looking to spark any fires or get into any negativity!!! "Not ODSA", But really want to engage in some communication about this topic.

We did it at Westmoreland in Eugene, and it has created allot of New opportunities for our local scene, and New Players.

I just wanted to get an idea of what others out there think.

Cheers
    Jonny Roc
    Westmoreland Disc Golf Club

http://discgolfer.ning.com/group/westmorelandaces

Originally posted by Jonny Roc View Post
    Would it make sense to build a Club for every course?
    I just wanted to get an idea of what others out there think.
    http://discgolfer.ning.com/group/westmorelandaces
    Good question, but my response would be: "Would it have to be a different club?" I'll give you an example with the local club in my area.

If you are fired up about your local course and would like to get involved, the club is looking for members to adopt courses. They'd love to have 1 or 2 people who are centered on each specific park that would be in charge of running work parties and other stuff at that park. All someone has to do is show up to the club meetings and vote! If they had all of their volunteering crew show they could easily vote in funding for projects in their parks. But as you'll notice above, the first step is attending those meetings. Why should we duplicate the efforts in separate clubs? Is that necessary? Surely you can sit through the stuff about other parks long enough to get to the point where you vote on stuff at 'your' park? This way we can have the club as a whole do more things without taxing the same people every time a new idea comes up.
    Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
    Remain ye men of faculty complete,
    Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
    Attending to our noble bond and contract?
    Or does here stand the last remaining man
    To give a fig for rules and order yet,
    No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
    Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
    Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
        Good question, but my response would be: "Would it have to be a different club?" I'll give you an example with the local club in my area.

If you are fired up about your local course and would like to get involved, the club is looking for members to adopt courses. They'd love to have 1 or 2 people who are centered on each specific park that would be in charge of running work parties and other stuff at that park. All someone has to do is show up to the club meetings and vote! If they had all of their volunteering crew show they could easily vote in funding for projects in their parks. But as you'll notice above, the first step is attending those meetings. Why should we duplicate the efforts in separate clubs? Is that necessary? Surely you can sit through the stuff about other parks long enough to get to the point where you vote on stuff at 'your' park? This way we can have the club as a whole do more things without taxing the same people every time a new idea comes up.
        Agreed working the Democratic process can get you the attention to a individual course. But only for so long. If we had Clubs per course it would mean that all the time of that group was spent solely on taking care of there Sanctuary. Each would do its part to promote there Course,and particapate in all these killer tournaments as not only DG'ers, but also as a team within. People will take pride in the fact that they represent there Course. Like Adair!!! Have you seen how beautiful that place is. Man, I gasp at times when I see the man hours they have invested, and yes I realize that they have other courses, and are building and building. I know this idea is relevant to how I have perceived many conversations out there. I mean Clubs that consist of the Locals that are actually at the Course Daily, and etc would seem to only promote the sport??????? Layer by Layer!!!

I mainly think that like Sales you have to call 100 people to get 30 to talk to you, and of those 30, 10 will set a appt and let you meet them. Of those 10 1-2 will buy. The trick is sticking with it and making those 100 calls. Its fairly similar in DG. We need to actively be talking or educating the Newbies, Fence sitters, and etc. For every positive exchange equals another opportunity for DG to grow. This Sport is like Dave F said "Bordering Main Stream. and Novelty". We need to push it into the Main Stream and the best way is to grow, grow, grow. Westmoreland is thriving mainly because of the Club presence. People talk to each other. We notice New faces, and try to interact on the Positive. Not to offend the hard work of all Clubs out there. But maybe if each course had a Club that Main Stream presence will be felt, and seen. Just food for thought!!

I am not sure what you mean by "This way we can have the club as a whole do more things without taxing the same people every time a new idea comes up" Taxing who? If I am a Westy guy I am not going to hit up the Chevron next to Dexter, and it would seem vice versa for acquiring Sponsorship. I am Helping with the GNWO for sponsorship. I obviously would have a better time getting support from merchants and etc in Glide or Roseburg than here in Eugene. Same for Courses.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
        Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X