X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forehand/Sidearm

I am fairly new to disc golf and I'm backhand and overhand dominant. For my driver I have a latitude 64 flow, epic, and a stalker. The midrange I throw is a Ti Buzzz. What I'm wondering is what is a good distance and fairway driver alone with a midrange to throw forearm? Any help would be great thanks.

Personally I like to give people an overstable disc to start throwing forehands with. "Most" people tend to run there drives over when learning to throw forehand because of bad from, creating off axis torque. So the overstable driver is much more forgiving, and will also teach you a bit a shaping your lines when learning to throw forehand. I'd avoid midranges for a long while while learning a forehand shot, they a tricky! Learn the basics first, I'd imagine for a newer player the stalker is fairly overstable, so maybe try learning with that. It also depends on what type of plastic you like, if you have a preference yet.

Comment

i just picked up a CH 148 banshee for this, because my forehand is for emergency use only
      and i really need to start working on it
      my thoughts were that a nice - lighter, overstable, fairway speed disc, would be best for me to start with
      plus it was pink

Comment

Hey Josh. Go out Saturday afternoon at 1 and ask Bear theses questions. He's running the random doubles and throws predominantly forehand. He would be able to show you a couple things
        Chris

Comment

I throw lots of Innova eagles and Teebirds forehand. Get a nice stable/overstable disc and try keeping it nice and low. When learning I tried to take fewer steps into my throw. It seemed like the more I shuffled my feet, the more I threw into the ground. For a good forehand approach shot you do not need a midrange disc, you just need to ease up on your power. After some practice and patience your forehand turnovers and forehand hyzer shots will be able to save you some strokes out on the course! good luck.

Comment

General rule I use is Max weight, overstable (Nuke OS, XXX, Trident, Firebird) if I want to smash my forehands out there for distance around 275-300. But I had a great conversation with Jeremy Koling at the 2012 BSF last year, who I believe currently holds the record for forehand distance? He completely changed my perspective and my technique.

Old way: Before meeting "Big Germ" I would take my max weight/stability driver and snap hard, usually rolling my wrist to the left RHFH. Because it was overstable it would come back but this was not smooth.

New method: I now focus on the nose angle, and throw a smooth snap, gently rolling my wrist towards my back then a smooth release. The disc is released with a hyzer throw, and I try to throw a moderate stability disc like the Halo in a max weight for distance, or the Saint for a gentle turn over. I still use the big stability discs, just not to compensate for bad form anymore, but to achieve a particular outcome now. I never could Flick a putter or mid until I grasped this technique, now I can use both when needed.

Watch this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjmD6wVp6Nw ), and any others you can find with Jeremy using his forehand. It's just so smooth and effortless. He uses a Surge in the past, probably a D1 now.
            Last edited by jdinteg; February 17th, 2013, 09:09 PM.
            PDGA# 49616
            Stumptown# 353
            OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

... and learn to throw backhand because if you're throwing overhand/thumbers/whatever predominantly, you gonna blow out your elbow/shoulder, yo.
              "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
              Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

and you need to decide what to call it..forehand or sidearm.
                If you are a retired ultimate frisbee player and/or tennis player it's a forehand. If disc golf is the first time you decided to trash that elbow, it's called a sidearm. Similar to pdf.file and pedophile...know the difference. It could save your life.

Comment

This retired Ulty player callls it a flick.

The difference between BA and a pedophile: BA was thrown out of school today for letting a girl in his class give him a hand-job. I said "BA, that's three schools this year! You'd better stop before you're banned from teaching altogether."
                  Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                    ... and learn to throw backhand because if you're throwing overhand/thumbers/whatever predominantly, you gonna blow out your elbow/shoulder, yo.
                    Agreed, a forehand only like a baseball sidearm motion can be hard on your body, thumbers and tomahawks too. But these shots work great to get you out of trouble once or twice a round. I think the key word is Flick, smooth snap with the wrist and not a full body crush it shot with your arm fully extended and your body stretched out. Jeremy Koling is a great example of a motion that could be sustained in a round without injury, Avery Jenkins has a smooth flick too.
                    PDGA# 49616
                    Stumptown# 353
                    OTDG: Young Guns - SAT

Comment

youre only going to trash your arm if you have bad technique. a good smooth flick shot is no harder on your arm than a backhand. most people just dont have the right motion or are trying to throw too hard. i grew up playing middle infield, which helps, but anyone can learn a good sidearm if they put in the time. even my 55 year old dad can put his sidearm shots out over 300 all day without hurting his arm. hard overhand shots are a different story though, you'll feel those...

Comment

Originally posted by tmiller View Post
                        youre only going to trash your arm if you have bad technique. a good smooth flick shot is no harder on your arm than a backhand. most people just dont have the right motion or are trying to throw too hard. i grew up playing middle infield, which helps, but anyone can learn a good sidearm if they put in the time. even my 55 year old dad can put his sidearm shots out over 300 all day without hurting his arm. hard overhand shots are a different story though, you'll feel those...
                        i wasn't indicating that a forehand shot will trash your arm... i was referring to his comment that he was predominantly forehand AND overhand, which i have noticed a lot of kids new to the sport rely heavily on thumbers and tomahawks because they can keep them straight in the fairway, and this i do believe will trash an elbow. no doubt it's a great shot to have in the bag to get out of trouble, i myself throw the baseball shots when needed... but i think you run a great risk of blowing out an elbow or shoulder if this is your predominant style or go-to throw... just sayin'...

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
                          i wasn't indicating that a forehand shot will trash your arm... i was referring to his comment that he was predominantly forehand AND overhand, which i have noticed a lot of kids new to the sport rely heavily on thumbers and tomahawks because they can keep them straight in the fairway, and this i do believe will trash an elbow. no doubt it's a great shot to have in the bag to get out of trouble, i myself throw the baseball shots when needed... but i think you run a great risk of blowing out an elbow or shoulder if this is your predominant style or go-to throw... just sayin'...
                          hey emma, sorry, i wasnt trying to attack your comment. i have just heard the ruin your arm excuse from many people not wanting to spend the time on their forehand shot. i just think that if you dont have both shots you are handicapping yourself in disc golf. this goes equally for a couple guys i know that throw only forehand, i keep telling them they need to work on that backhand as well. and i agree with you on the overhand shots, they can be crucial situational shots but you pay for overuse

Comment

RHFH thrower for about 10 years now. Have never had problems with strain or injury. Its all about the technique.
                            All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tmiller View Post
                              hey emma, sorry, i wasnt trying to attack your comment. i have just heard the ruin your arm excuse from many people not wanting to spend the time on their forehand shot. i just think that if you dont have both shots you are handicapping yourself in disc golf. this goes equally for a couple guys i know that throw only forehand, i keep telling them they need to work on that backhand as well. and i agree with you on the overhand shots, they can be crucial situational shots but you pay for overuse
                              oh, heavens... no apology necessary... i apologize if i sounded defensive! certainly didn't see your comment as attack-ish AT ALL... especially when i reread it after i posted... and that whole part at the end where you talk about the same thing as i was talking about...

we are in total agreement about the need to develop both shots. agreed? awesome. let's cyber-hug it out now...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X