X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ski2man
    started a topic Anyone else find groups of 9 annoying?

Anyone else find groups of 9 annoying?

Today at Shelton (my home course where I like to try and get a quick round in once in a while even though it takes 20 minutes for me to get there) I had to deal with groups of 10, 9, and 7. Seriously. what is that about? the group of 9 was incredibly annoying as people who I've seen play there decided it was not pertinent to let a single go through (many in the groups did not seem to be locals...which is fine, doesn't matter anyway! etiquette knows no boundaries!) . On hole 3, I had to wait nearly 5 minutes to tee off...another 5 AT LEAST to take my second and then waited for every player except one to tee off on 4 (while I was in clear view waiting to the side) before someone asked, "you guys wanna play through?" guys? really? you stared at me standing in the fairway 20 feet behind you all by myself...what the hell. meanwhile a couple in your group took 7 shots to finish a par 4 (playing doubles!!!) . when you have a group double the appropriate size or more, you should allow a SINGLE TO GO THROUGH IMMEDIATELY! I let twos go through when i'm in a group of 3. it's one thing for it to be busy, but another for there to be 26 people on three holes and none on the rest.

it's an etiquette thing...something that seems to be going by the wayside in multiple ways as I've read in other threads.

Am I just crazy or is this just wrong? how do you all deal with this and not feel like an ass asking to go through?...which I wouldn't do.

• Simmeltron
    replied
    The group of 12 we came across at High Bridge on a beautiful Friday evening was interesting.... fortunately we were able to easily hop across to the empty side of the course to avoid the congestion they were causing.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce
    replied
    I find groups of 5 annoying and would more than likely kill myself playing in a group of 9....

Leave a comment:

• PDX_Stu
    replied
    Is this a traveling league? I know I saw them at N. Bonne and then at Pier yesterday. Local park officials must enforce a penalty fee. Any group over 5 - all players in the group must donate a dollar to the park or go home

Leave a comment:

• ski2man
    replied
    Originally posted by George A. View Post
    hilarious

Leave a comment:

• Wes Hansen
    replied
    Other than the Supreme Court, baseball teams and orgies, any group of nine is too much.

Leave a comment:

• matt
    replied
    i love big mobs
    hell, lets go for 11 next round

Leave a comment:

• George A.
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mudkip
    replied
    Originally posted by Jason Philips View Post
    At Pier most of the larger groups I run into are experienced tournament players. Chances are some of them post here. I think some of the recent disc golf issues I have heard about that plague courses are propagated by experienced players. Most of the time when I run into new players they are happy to hear about the basic etiquette as long as I am not preachy about it. I think there is a need for experienced players to take a moment and re-evaluate the image they really portray to non-experienced players.
    I'm usually in and out of Pier by noon most days. I don't like crowds and do my best to avoid them.

Leave a comment:

• InfamousButcher
    replied
    ^^^^ well said!

Leave a comment:

• Lyounger
    replied
    Like the secondary signage

Yes....groups of 9 are annoying and detrimental to good course flow. Whether it's a gang of inexperienced one disc wonders who carry more beers than discs, who break branches for a better stance and throw at the back of your head or whether it'a a large group of competitive players who empty their bags on every hole then slowly discuss how they almost aced that hole in the last tournament while they each line up over their 3 foot putts for over two minutes and act indignant when a group of average players asks to play through.

Sadly, at our local courses, people rarely ask to play through. Groups immediately 'poach' holes to get ahead of slow play and end up creating more slow play.

I play our local public courses less than a handful of times each year outside of tournament play for this exact reason. It is just absolutely way too frustrating to endure. I would love to see some signage at our courses encouraging any kind of etiquette. I'll definitely bring it up with our club.

I'm very much in favor of clubs encouraging the development of 9 hole family pitch and putt courses, recreational 18 hole courses and finally 19-27 hole tournament courses. The club can then host events and clinics at the appropriate course for the appropriate audience set an expectation of skill level needed to move from course to course.

Disc golf is a wonderful sport and I'm thrilled it's growing. I just wish there was a bunny hill around here and the folks on the black diamonds would show more grace.

Leave a comment:

• Garro
    replied
    Originally posted by DGOD! Disc Golf View Post
    We do that too Gary
    A lot of the time it starts out as a group of 4-5, and people will join along the way, mostly at lunchtime. But an empty or near empty course, I dont see a problem playing in large groups. Of course, I wouldnt play in a big group on a busy day, with perfect weather, at say Pier(or anywhere) But a rainy day with 2 people on the course, or an early start with no cars in the parking lot... 8-10 easy!
    I'm with you on that, Dan. Of course one of the things we all really like about you DGOD guys (and gals) is that you love to play. and, of course, your particular understated brilliance in helping bring the disc golf community more together, I really appreciate.

Leave a comment:

• DGOD! Disc Golf
    replied
    Originally posted by Garro View Post
    why not just break the group of 9 into 2 groups? that way you still get to play with friends; one group follows the other, so its still sort of like one big group; and you're not disrupting the flow and holding other people up.
    We do that too Gary
    A lot of the time it starts out as a group of 4-5, and people will join along the way, mostly at lunchtime. But an empty or near empty course, I dont see a problem playing in large groups. Of course, I wouldnt play in a big group on a busy day, with perfect weather, at say Pier(or anywhere) But a rainy day with 2 people on the course, or an early start with no cars in the parking lot... 8-10 easy!

Leave a comment:

• Garro
    replied
    Originally posted by DGOD! Disc Golf View Post
    No, as long as they let you play through. We play in big groups quite often. But, its usually early and the courses are empty... If not we always let people play through.

How do you tell your buddy he cant join his friends? I havent figured it out
    why not just break the group of 9 into 2 groups? that way you still get to play with friends; one group follows the other, so its still sort of like one big group; and you're not disrupting the flow and holding other people up.

Leave a comment:

• DGOD! Disc Golf
    replied
    No, as long as they let you play through. We play in big groups quite often. But, its usually early and the courses are empty... If not we always let people play through.

How do you tell your buddy he cant join his friends? I havent figured it out

Leave a comment:

Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X