X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two New Courses Next Weekend

Was going to hit other courses and save these two for a future trip, but why put off something fun, right?

Next Friday I will be hitting Lake Casitas in Ojai for a couple of rounds. Seeing the pictures at the Ventura Disc Golf Club website (http://www.venturadiscgolf.com), I am very excited to just be at this place let alone play the course.

The following Monday I will be going to La Mirada - considered by many to be the premiere course in southern California. 27 holes of manicured grass with a 900+ foot par 5? Sam likey.

Anyone have any insights or advice for a first-time players of these courses?
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

throw the least amount of shots as possible.
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
      throw the least amount of shots as possible.
      lulz.
      Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Was going to hit other courses and save these two for a future trip, but why put off something fun, right?

Next Friday I will be hitting Lake Casitas in Ojai for a couple of rounds. Seeing the pictures at the Ventura Disc Golf Club website (http://www.venturadiscgolf.com), I am very excited to just be at this place let alone play the course.

The following Monday I will be going to La Mirada - considered by many to be the premiere course in southern California. 27 holes of manicured grass with a 900+ foot par 5? Sam likey.

Anyone have any insights or advice for a first-time players of these courses?
        I was down in Santa Barbara in December and while it might be a bit of a drive from LA, Waller Pines in Santa Maria was also a fun course. 27 holes in well groomed park.

Jeff
        "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I have played both of them and they are both great. If you can hook up with somebody at the Lake that would be best, but I found maps by hole one when I was there. La Mirada has a great pro shop next to the tennis courts and that place is easy to follow. Have fun and take some pics for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
            I was down in Santa Barbara in December and while it might be a bit of a drive from LA, Waller Pines in Santa Maria was also a fun course. 27 holes in well groomed park.

Jeff
            Agreed. I would love to go back and play that again now that I've seen some other great courses. That was the second course I'd ever played (the first being Evergreen in Goleta) and I was awed by its size, level of maintenance, and just all around level of fun.

I've already talked about how much I like Casitas. My only recommendation would be to camp out there so you can play multiple rounds. Might not be feasible with whatever your trip is, but nonetheless, recommended. Oh, and try to keep your discs out of the water...its a reservoir and not supposed to have any human contact with it. On a related note, if you can get out on the lake, I'd recommend visiting one of the floating outhouses. With an empty lake and the door propped open, soaking in the waterfront mountain vista can be truly a moving experience.
            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

I have been dying to go to the Santa Maria course since I first heard about it. It is smack between family members so I will get there eventually. Not this trip, however, as I am staying in the southern part of Ventura county.
              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Looks like my plans keep shifting and I will not make it to either of these courses next weekend. I might have time to sneak in Sylmar and Dodger Stadium, though...
                ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Looks like my plans keep shifting and I will not make it to either of these courses next weekend. I might have time to sneak in Sylmar and Dodger Stadium, though...
                  Please, whatever you do, do not take pictures of dodger stadium and post it anywhere on the entire world wide web. Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    On a related note, if you can get out on the lake, I'd recommend visiting one of the floating outhouses. With an empty lake and the door propped open, soaking in the waterfront mountain vista can be truly a moving experience.
                    I was disappointed to see the door closed. If you gonna speak of such beauty, at least show us a picture that closely resembles your vivid image imprinted in my brain.... Next time, take a picture from inside looking out, or with the door open...

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                      I was disappointed to see the door closed. If you gonna speak of such beauty, at least show us a picture that closely resembles your vivid image imprinted in my brain.... Next time, take a picture from inside looking out, or with the door open...
                      I did take pictures, actually--that one was just stolen off someone else's site. I'll have to see if I can find them, or if they've been sacrificed to the crashed HDD gods (incidentally, another on the lists of gods I do believe in).

Comment

Please, whatever you do, do not take pictures of dodger stadium and post it anywhere on the entire world wide web. Thanks...
                        Not only will I post them on the web, I will make sure to send you a handful via e-mail, as well.
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Be absolutely sure to look up Mike in the Pro Shop. Tell him yo from Magilla and the whole NW! Check out the sweet InnColor collection on the walls. Buy sweet plastic. Watch out for the mandos, and don't go in the water - literally! I LOVED my one round of 27 at La Mirada.... ENJOY!
                          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

Not only will I post them on the web, I will make sure to send you a handful via e-mail, as well.
                            sweet mother of pearl, time to change my email address... or I could just mark it as Junk mail... ohhhhh the temptation...

Comment

As requested. On a whim, I searched "casitas" in my email, and found an old email from years ago that had some pics. To give a bit of background to these pictures, my friend and I camped out one weekend and drank way too much the night before. We desperately needed facilities, but were disheartened to find that the toilet in the campsite area was of the "plop & stomp" variety, the water conserving self-pump kind like you'd find on a boat or old RV. Not the most functional either, I might add. Enough details on that note.

We rented a boat to just cruise around and check out the lake, and spotted one of these floating structures and we were like "What is that? Is that...is that an outhouse?" Indeed...sparkling clean and full powered flushing on top. I'm almost positive there was a beam of sunlight shining down on this particular one. The rest, well, I think the pictures speak for themselves...

The head:

The view:

My friend at the helm (he didn't have that smile moments before):

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X