Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting from Canada

Hi all,

I'm going to be down in the Portland area at the beginning of February and seeing as it's currently near zero degrees fahrenheit up here (and buried in snow), I'm hoping to get some disc golf in while in balmy Portland.

Can you suggest a place to play? Would it be worth it to take a drive out to Milo McIver? Is it even playable in the winter?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Duane

Pier Park

Comment

Milo is very playable in the winter, although it is probably down to just the east course (18 holes).

Pier Park is also a gem, and very playable (also currently in the winter layout).

Blue Lake is our newest gem. Very near the airport.

Comment

Pier Park
        Horning's Hideout (3 courses) w/ Stubb Stewart nearby
        Milo McIver w/ Timber Park nearby
        Blue Lake w/ Dabney nearby
        "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
        -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Originally posted by canuck View Post
          Hi all,

I'm going to be down in the Portland area at the beginning of February and seeing as it's currently near zero degrees fahrenheit up here (and buried in snow), I'm hoping to get some disc golf in while in balmy Portland.

Can you suggest a place to play? Would it be worth it to take a drive out to Milo McIver? Is it even playable in the winter?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Duane
          Places to play if you have time... In no planned order whatsoever.

Pier Park: Awesome city park... lots of large trees and a challenging course for all levels of play.

Blue Lake Park: Newest course in town. Blue Lake is a well laid out championship level course with generous fairways lines with lots of OB. This course, while it is a long course, it better suits accurate players than careless long-arms.

Milo McIver: Home of the Beaver State Fling. this is another great course. It is currently in its winter layout, so the are only 18 holes in the ground. Still, it is well worth the drive out there.

Hornings Hideout: 3 courses of varying levels. Makes for a great day trip. Play a warmup 18 on the pitch and putt course. Then play the mid skill level canyon course. After you're feeling good about your game, head up to the meadow ridge course for a reality check.
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

If you can only make one disc golf outing, I think heading west to Horning's Hideout (54 baskets) & Stubb Stewart (18 baskets in rugged terrain) would be the best bang for your buck... or your loonie.
            Oregon disc golf map

Comment

i would make only one change to jeff's (bullseye) recommendations... i prefer when playing out at horning's to hit meadow ridge (the big tough gnarly bitch) and THEN the canyon... that way i get to leave feeling good about my game and myself.
              "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
              Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Yeah, Emma's right: if you're going to play all three, do Highlands, then Meadow Ridge, then Canyon. You want to be relatively fresh for the big course.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Horning's Hideout looks awesome. A full day with no travelling between courses. I was leaning towards going to Milo McIver but that's only because it's the one course we hear about up north. I may give it a shot on Sunday if I still have an arm. I'm not sure my bodies going to be happy with me after so many months off.

Thanks for all you replies. It was very helpful.

Duane

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post

Hornings Hideout: 3 courses of varying levels. Makes for a great day trip. Play a warmup 18 on the pitch and putt course. Then play the mid skill level canyon course. After you're feeling good about your game, head up to the meadow ridge course for a reality check.
                    And then go back to the little course because it's the most fun course there! (And no I'm not being sarcastic.)

Comment

Hey Duane!

It was great running into you out at Milo Sunday! I'm glad Emma and I could play tour guide for a few holes. I hope you enjoyed your time in Portland and had safe travels heading back to the great white north!

Sally

Comment

Originally posted by Sally W View Post
                        Hey Duane!

It was great running into you out at Milo Sunday! I'm glad Emma and I could play tour guide for a few holes. I hope you enjoyed your time in Portland and had safe travels heading back to the great white north!

Sally
                        word. duane can throw, yo. love canada!!!
                        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X