X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing Discs

In my short time playing disc golf, I've managed to accumulate far too many discs to carry in my bag .. by a factor of three (going on four).

I do enjoy swapping discs in an out of my bag, picking out a set for a certain course or to practice a certain shot. Hence, I'd like to find a way to store the discs so I can easily see the discs I'd like to pull out and throw.

While I have limited space, the discs shouldn't be damaged by the method of storage (warping, discoloration, or rubbing off stamps).

Has anyone come up with a good method to store their discs? Clear containers? Stacking bins? Something else?

i have found that putting them on edge in a milk crate they dont warp unless you have them stored in a really hot area. i used to store mine stacked on top of each other, that method actually warped a couple that were towards the bottom. i really like storing them on their edge personally.
    hope this helps.
    Team HOSER:dancing:
    Team OLY:cheerleader:
    Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

I have a buddy that stores all his in those accordion dividers that come in the cheaper Innova bags. I think that would be the best way to go about it but I can't imagine how expensive that would get to do so on even a medium scale disc collection. I guess it's a good thing that some people have disposable income.
      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
      Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by tmk View Post
        In my short time playing disc golf, I've managed to accumulate far too many discs to carry in my bag .. by a factor of three (going on four).

I do enjoy swapping discs in an out of my bag, picking out a set for a certain course or to practice a certain shot. Hence, I'd like to find a way to store the discs so I can easily see the discs I'd like to pull out and throw.

While I have limited space, the discs shouldn't be damaged by the method of storage (warping, discoloration, or rubbing off stamps).

Has anyone come up with a good method to store their discs? Clear containers? Stacking bins? Something else?
        Like previous posters have said, I store my extra plastic on edge in clear plastic tote. And like the Traveling Wilburys song "...store it in a cool dry place."
        Glenn 'JPSnuffy' Higgs
        Remembering 'The Crimson Willys'
        --==_o|||||o_==--

Comment

if it's just a few discs that are fairly in use i don't worry about them warping and store them stacked according to mold on a small shelf in my "disc golf room" which is really just the area at the foot of my stairs where my phone is and my coats hang. this way it's easy for me to rotate them and access them. i have a complete set of back ups for my entire bag which i like to rotate into circulation every couple of months so that i never feel like i'm throwing a stranger. but if you have a lot of discs that you are storing then the see-through tubs are the way to go to avoid warping.
          "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
          Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

^I have several collector and back up discs that I have stored for 12 yrs. and agree that the plastic storage tubs are the best. HOWEVER, they will still damage over time due to resting on one solid point if they are not periodically rotated. The solution I have been told is to buy those foam noodles and cut them up into two strips. That way one, they are now resting on two points which takes weight off of them some and two, they are padded which helps give way some so that they don't rest on hard plastic. I am yet to do this but do know it is worth doing. Maybe it will be my holiday goal. Right now my 22 month son just runs around the house with it!
            Last edited by JR Stengele; December 13th, 2012, 03:23 PM.
            "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
            -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

I built this rack out of some PVC and joints from Simplified Building. It's pretty awesome for some higher density storage. Plus I was able to customize it to fit in my trunk to maximize efficiency when I travel.

Comment

Or even some old cheapo dish draining racks from goodwill will keep them upright and easy to rotate like a good bottle of wine if worried about resting on the same points. Actually I use one in my disc bag cut to fit also to keep my discs upright and handy.

Comment

Thanks. I like the foam tubes idea. I suppose PVC pipes (like some bags use to rest the discs on) would also work for two-point support. I'd think for long-term storage the foam would stress the disc less.

The best price I've seen for accordion bag inserts is $7 each (@ Marshall Street). Each holds 5 or 6 discs, so a worst case price for 50 discs is $70 (at least that's enough for free shipping <g>). But separating the discs is a good idea as my "storm trooper" Volt now has some discoloration from being tightly packed in my bag. Cutting up cardboard boxes should be good enough.

Clear tubs, yes. Poking around on the net doesn't easily reveal an ideal size for a 8.5" round object (say 9 x 9" (W x H), but I should be able to find something close.

I like the PVC and drain racks! Good ideas Blaine & Hawg.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

I just use a cardboard box
                    (in the bottom of some plastic drawers, I use to store all our golf stuff in)
                    with an extra piece of cardboard in the bottom for padding.
                    stacked on end, so I can flip though them to find what I want

Comment

Got some wall space?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-Inn...item19d00a304b

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
                        I may bid on that just because he calls it Frolf!

Comment

^ Isn't that the name of the L.S. Team? Lake Stevens Frolf Club? President Brian " Sexy toes" Anderson? That is what I have been hearing anyways.
                          "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                          -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Originally posted by LakeStevensBA View Post
                            I may bid on that just because he calls it Frolf!
                            I actually know the guy. Good people. North Dakotans have their own way of doing stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Comment

Gilby is from South Dakota, so North Dakota is guilty just by association.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X