Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yo, phillips! the only raincoat i've ever been able to play in is the Marmot Precip. it's not any more expensive than an average good rain coat (which means waaaaayyy more expensive than the big ol' golf umbrella my dad left on the porch when he moved out of the Shack) and it lasted me a good 2 or maybe even 3 seasons.

p.s. i also totally trust people who like big butts...
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Raingear

All the 70-100$ raincoats look good the last cpl yrs, but... the all have the (fancy) plastic liners (breathable though) fused to the fabric, which would be fine for hiking-general outdoor stuff, but once you wear a softspot(crack) its not wp. Thus the dilema for us golfers who are constantly rubbing straps on our shoulders.1-2 yrs use i'm thinkin...
      You get what you pay for. So to bump up to the next step your lookin at 169$ and up to get a gore-tex like fabric or even lighter,better versions now competing. I got a REI Kimtah rain jacket last yr w their Event fabric. I got a score @ 125$ w a sale, new mbrshp coupon, a 229$ coat. I wanted all around wp coat for mtnbiking and everyday wear, downpour mushroom hunting,camping...I wore this thing in the shower for 15min when I got it, bone dry. wore it for a yr,packed up in a little ball for the golf bag. awesome coat, someone jacked it at bar poker. They updated the coat this yr, moved the pockets(seamed) for better bkpacking, 239$ right now, 20% sale Oct 5 through I dont know(cpl wks). Highly recomend this jacket.(w a sweater it was my winter coat, bike commuter)
      Stopped at columbia outlet in Bend last wk, they had their new version of goretx in a pretty good raincoat for 129$, you could see the step down in construction, but it wasnt that fancy plastic...
      SHOES. Went to Sports Authority beginning last summer, Alpine design keen lookalikes 35$. lots of waterproof golf for a yr n a half. discontinued, gotta drop a hundo to get the real deal(REI sale oct 5-?) 20 % off coupon.
      Hope this saves a few ppl an hr here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by emmarose View Post
        yo, phillips! the only raincoat i've ever been able to play in is the Marmot Precip. it's not any more expensive than an average good rain coat (which means waaaaayyy more expensive than the big ol' golf umbrella my dad left on the porch when he moved out of the Shack) and it lasted me a good 2 or maybe even 3 seasons.

p.s. i also totally trust people who like big butts...
        Marmot is great gear. I also am a member on TheClymb.com and see Marmot on there occasionally. I do swear by Columbia Sportswear. The outlet stores are a great value. Lots of sales happening there and lots of good layers.

Any suggestions on keeping hands and discs dry outside of the usual towels and microfiber? Curious about this one.

What can I say, I cannot lie Emma.
        "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

you other brothers cant deny...
          "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

and this is what i do for hands and discs:

first off, the grip bag has the most rad rain fly ever and that keeps everything in the bag dry. makes a pretty big difference.

here's how my towel system works: i have 3 towels in use at all times. the designated mud towel, the binky and the pocket towel. the designated mud towel is a section of shamwow that i use for wiping off mud and gobs of yuck and a ton of excess moisture. then i use the binky (a baby blue next adventure micro fiber towel) to wipe off any more moisture. then i stick my disc under my fleece hoodie until it is my turn to throw. then i use the pocket towel (which lives in my pocket most likely to stay dry) for a last minute dry off of fingers and disc.

sometimes i have two sections of shamwow... one for mud and one just for excess moisture. i pack 2 spare set ups in a ziplock bag.
            "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
            Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Good system. I think we need a shamwow endorsement in this sport. I think it could be another sponsorship opportunity.
              "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

great suggestions! I like your towel system emmarose...was trying to decide how many spare sets I would need and a good system to use so that tip really helps.....it is my first year to start playing a ton in the winter, but I have tons of snow and extreme rain backpacking and mountain biking experience.....

I use a Marmot precip for many acitivities paired with rei goretex pants, but with my unusual body type(6 foot 4 and fairly skinny) the xl jacket size that fits my arms is a little too bulky in the chest and stomach and tends to get in the way for me for some more active pursuits, even though it is an awesome rain shell for snowboarding, snow camping with lots of layers, and also a great value for the quality in my experience....

I have gravitated to higher end bicycling oriented rain gear due to a really streamlined cut in the model I found (size L, arms are a bit short)....made by performance bikes and a great value therefore, pretty sure it is just called the "Commuter" jacket and pants, they have sweet illuminite panels too which are hardly useful for disc but great for the bike ride home or not getting hit in the parking lot at dusk! haha!

I agree with most people about shoes, would like to add from many, many years of wet hiking that the best route i have found sock-wise is wool socks paired with a pair of ultra thin polypro liner socks, I use wigwam gobi, i think, for liners...I have guaranteed many peeps enhanced comfort and a complete lack of blisters with this dual sock setup and had many satisfied guarantee-ees Considered trying waterproof socks but have read so many horrible reviews of these I think I will just keep lots of spare socks and use goretex lined shoes...for me my feet are usually way too hot in goretex lined shoes but with disc golf movement is minimal so these will probably work best I am thinking....

I plan to bring rain gear and a large umbrella this year, but avoid wearing the rain gear at all costs so as not to hamper my throws...I wear shorts whenever possible and just focus on keeping the core dry except in dangerously cold scenarios (which rarely occur in oregon in the valleys for me, but keep in mind i am known for running exceptionally warm body temp wise)....for the upper I love a fleece vest, arm warmers and a synthetic shirt of some kind....also my mountain hardwear windshirt is a great addition and is amazingly packable and awesome for light rain, mobility, and a great warming layer.

Comment

If you are using a GoreTex lined shoes without a wool sock you will lose a ton of breathablity. The way GORE breathes is transferring moisture when it is in a vapor state. Synthetic materials wick on a liquid level so they never transfer the liquid through the membrane. If you switch to lightweight wool socks (Smartwool, tecko, or Darntough they are the longest lasting) they wick moisture at a vapor state increasing the breathability of shoes.

Comment

My rain gear kicks @$$. Starting at the bottom I wear the Oboz Firebrand shoes, expensive but durable, waterproof, and great for disc golf, next is waterproof gaiters, water proof and breathable pants - legs sweat has to escape, a waterproof and breathable jacket that is just a shell because I am a sweater - snug but not too tight and definitely not too loose with velcro/elastic cuffs so the don't slip over my hands, and HUGE umbrella. My golf umbrella is what I go to first to keep me dry and if it's miserable then I will layer up. I get ALL of my rain gear at REI. Their return policy alone is worth any extra cost - perhaps I did not get my umbrella there though. I think my rain jacket is Mountain Hardwear or along those lines and it has its own stuff sack that I can cram into/or clip to my bag if I no longer need the jacket. Raingear is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P. View Post
                      If you are using a GoreTex lined shoes without a wool sock you will lose a ton of breathablity. The way GORE breathes is transferring moisture when it is in a vapor state. Synthetic materials wick on a liquid level so they never transfer the liquid through the membrane. If you switch to lightweight wool socks (Smartwool, tecko, or Darntough they are the longest lasting) they wick moisture at a vapor state increasing the breathability of shoes.

Comment

Here's how I do it!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyYa6uLWFj8
                        Does this look like Maple Hill in Leicester, MA to anyone else?

Comment

Gortex socks???

Can anyone tell me where you can get a pair of waterproof socks\liners? I used to buy Rockys. I want to buy them at a local retail outlet. Is there anywhere in town - outdoor store, hunting\fishing place you can find these? I can't find them in PDX anymore and not in Hood River or Corvallis either. Nothing found at Dick's, REI, Sports Authority, Next Adventure, ETC.. I don't shop on the internet..

Thanks !

STU

Comment

Originally posted by PDX_Stu View Post
                            Can anyone tell me where you can get a pair of waterproof socks\liners? I used to buy Rockys. I want to buy them at a local retail outlet. Is there anywhere in town - outdoor store, hunting\fishing place you can find these? I can't find them in PDX anymore and not in Hood River or Corvallis either. Nothing found at Dick's, REI, Sports Authority, Next Adventure, ETC.. I don't shop on the internet..

Thanks !

STU

I haven't found any locally and I am sure I am just not looking in the right places. I'd love to know as well.

Comment

Next time you pass thru Salem might wanna try The Sportsmans Warehouse. It's just off I-5 on Lancaster & Hwy 22.

Comment

There are two types of rain. Drizzle / rain and bloody F-n down poor.
                                For Drizzle / rain most anything will due.
                                For the F-n down poor only Columbia - Titanium holds up. Mine never leaves the car unless in use.
                                Spendy but I have no regrets on that purchase.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X