X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your preferred rain gear?

Good morning everyone. As the weather changes and the sun starts dropping early you know the rains are coming.

I was out this weekend and picked up a simple rain pant and wanted to ask what rain gear people are using. And do you recommend it, and of course what sort of pricing range.

Rain golf will be coming soon enough, are you going to be sitting inside with a quilt and a book or will you be out slogging it in the trenches looking for the disc that slipped from your hands?

And for those in Portland, hope you stopped by Next Adventure over the weekend to get some deals. The sales were thick.
    "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

gaiters and an umbrella and fleece beanies or an oilskin rainhat (i would have the OR rainhat but after 15 years mine finally bit the big one and somehow in the Shack this random oilskin one turned up).

i rock nike dri-fit shirts and running tights as underneath layers and have a really great fleece hoodie that is super absorbent and keeps the rain from reaching my underlayers pretty well (except for on the shoulders where my bag sits).

i just can't play in rain gear. too constrictive.

i also bring several changes of clothes and shoes for if i'm playing multiple rounds in the rain. starting each round dry makes a big difference.
    "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
    Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Coleman Xtreme jacket and pant. 65 bucks total at Walmart and is incredibly waterproof and non restrictive. The only issue is the jacket does not breathe well.
      "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
      Cleveland Brown

Comment

i have a helly hanson shell/coat with lots of zippered vents
        but i need some pants
        i did just buy a couple pairs of north face shoes to keep my toes dry

Comment

I like Columbia's rain pants and jackets, but they are a little bit pricey. I have a huk-lab square umbrella that I love and a North Face Gore-tex baseball cap. But most importantly 2 pairs of North Face boots and several changes of socks, so I can change them at every opportunity. (The gore-tex in the boots does keep water out for a while, but after a couple of deep puddles they don't seem to do so as well.)
          DGOD Tag #2
          Grip Lok Tag #17

Who wants to play?

Comment

Nike makes Gore-Tex trail running shoes that have kept my feet dry as a bone for 5 years of wet, cold, Oregon TDG. I buy a new pair every season and they haven't failed me yet. It helps to have the hook up with the employee discount, they end up being $60.
            Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
            Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Comment

A comforter my Grandmother made and gave me years ago...keeps me so warm looking out the window at all that rain...lol
              educate your thinking

Comment

It cost a lot of money, but if you can afford GoreActive is incredible fabric. Every large outdoor company has a piece that uses it and its extremely light fabric that will take a downpour, stretch with your movement, breathes like a champ, and is lightweight. My favorite is the axiom jacket by outdoor research. I work for an outdoor retailer so the manufactures come in every season explaining the new line, and every companies GoreActive piece has been a winner. If you have money to waste on something other than plastic check out of these for the rainy season.

Comment

I've had a Sherpa hard shell set that I've worn for team golf the last three years. They're still really waterproof. They're nice and breathable with the type of fabric and lots of vents. The fabric also has a bit of a stretch to it and nice articulated elbows. It's a close enough fit that the fabric doesn't get bunched up or in the way when I'm throwing. It's an investment but I found them both on sale at Next Adventure and got them with scrip for less than $100 each. Here's links although mine are probably an older version.

Pants:
                  http://www.sherpaadventuregear.com/f...category_id=65

Jacket:
                  http://www.sherpaadventuregear.com/f...category_id=65

I wear the Salomon GoreTex Trail runners. They seem to last about a year or two of playing all through the winter.
                  http://www.salomon.com/us/product/xa...%2Bultra%2Bgtx

Comment

Loving the suggestions. Keep them coming. I don't want this thread to be just for me. Would love for people to be able to see what other people are using.
                    "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

No rain gear for me...

An Umbrella and 5 or 6 towels per round kept in a zip loc bag. I wear my normal disc golf clothes and as long as I keep the umbrella over me or my bag while i am throwing and make sure to have a new towel clipped to my belt every 3 to 4 holes I have zero problems. I cannot stand wearing rain jacket or pants. Although I do admit waterproof Gore-tex Salomons' & Wool Socks are a must for the feet/ toes.
                      Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.

Comment

Winter Gear

I ended up last year for TDG finally getting a pair of waterproof Keens; what a life saver.

I pack extra socks/extra pants/extra shirt and extra warm hoodie to change into between rounds or at the end.

A couple hats and LOTS of packs of hot hands.

But the best overall ticket to my happiness a football handwarmer (it even has an internal pouch for my hot hands). HEAVEN!!!
                        Sometimes you just gotta say 'Huck It'!

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                          i have a helly hanson shell/coat with lots of zippered vents
                          but i need some pants
                          i did just buy a couple pairs of north face shoes to keep my toes dry
                          i will recommend the helly hanson coat
                          but i dont recommend the northface shoes, they dont seem to last very long when compared to how much they cost (but they are the best shoes i have found that fit my narrow feet)

also, the other really cool wet weather item i have is......
                          my fade bag - weather gaurd suspenders they are pretty good at keeping everything dry, plus there is room to throw extra stuff in behind the bag

Comment

Nike storm light golf shirts. Foot joy golf rain pants. Lots of cool cheap ball golf rain gear at tgw.com. Also check out Nike outlet stores for killer deals on golf rain gear. The Centralia outlet mall has Nike and Helley Hanson stores next door to each other

Comment

I think for shoes my preference is Merrell. They are a perfect fit for my feet. I find Solomon and Keen to be a little too narrow for my feet.

I just picked up a pair of Red Edge rain pants from Next Adventure.

I have an REI coat for rain purposes.

Then add a Columbia Sportswear wide brimmed hat and I am fairly warm and dry.

I am thinking this year of getting a different coat. I'll have to shop around for something that works for me. I know I need new shoes and I'll be picking some up soon but paired with my Seal Skinz nearly any shoe can work with good tread.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X